A little rifle restore project.

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
1129191432.jpgI picked up a Remington Model Seven in 6mm Remington that is in need of a little TLC and a facelift.

Noticing the round bolt end and the single rear screw for a base I knew this was one of the early ones and the lower serial number indicated it was VERY early so I looked up the barrel code and did a little research.
March 1983 which also happens to be the first year for the Model Seven and March was the month listed in the 1983 catalog for availability of the 6mm Remington versions being shipped out, but......it had "issues". :roll:

The seller said he wasn't sure it had ever been shot and if not for some carbon coming out of the barrel on the initial cleaning, I'd have said he may have been correct. The bolt face is pristine as is the rifling.

Photos show the "before" photo and how it looked Wednesday when I got it and the following are a couple of what it looks like now with some due diligence and a lot of elbow grease. Freckling remains, of course, but only two small spots are they deep enough I can feel them with my finger now. All lettering is not compromised so it should reblue pretty decently.

I had thoughts of barreling one to a 6BR Norma for a light, carry gun that don't blast me out of the county with a short barrel, but so far it's giving me enough of a reason to give it a chance as is after a little work.

The trigger still had the adjustment screws glued tight but I was not settling for a 6lb trigger pull so I peeled it off and adjusted the trigger to something huntable and set it on my Caldwell Fieldpod for a few shots with 70, 80 and 85 grain bullets with some bulky / fast powder in medium loads to keep the muzzle blast under Un-Godly, she'll shoot "minute of deer" quite handily, IMO.

The photo is of the last five shots but only at 75 yards with 80 grain Hot Cor. The two in the green were the first two and the top three (not circled in black) are the last three after a little scope adjustment. If God flips a coin and sends one by me the next two days, the last of the season, shots should be under 100 yards. That'll work.

It's all I'll hunt this year. Some complications after my back surgery nixed the idea of either walking far or staying more than 1-1.5 hours so I haven't went. My boys were freaking out that I was even thinking of going. :lol:
Never know, stranger things have been known to happen. :wink:

I don't know how others might feel but, to me, this one was one deserving a rebirth appearance wise. Sure feels HANDY after shooting the Varmint Special!! :lol:

God Bless to all of you and your families this holiday season.
Steve
PS......Photos are in reverse order of what I intended but it's obvious which is the "before" photo. LOL

Attachments

• rem76u632.jpg
    rem76u632.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 430
  • 1129191352.jpg
    1129191352.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 430
  • 1129191353.jpg
    1129191353.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 430
  • 1129191353a.jpg
    1129191353a.jpg
    994.5 KB · Views: 430
What a sweetheart. Very nice rifle Steve, congratulations.

JD338

Looks great, but I’d slide that scope forward quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Not if you had a short, arthritic neck and could loose about 80 lbs. :oops:

Even a quarter of an inch further forward and it would be quite painful for me to use it.

I've had to put scopes ALL the way back all my life unless they had a 4 inch or more eye relief but I'll admit those old jap Tasco scopes weren't known for long eye relief. That scope, however, is one of my favorites for the money.

2-7x33 (or 32?) WA from decades ago.

No offense taken, I've been told that all my life but....that's how it works for me and quite well I might add.

God Bless

Woah, looks like it spent it's decades in a moist cellar!
But I like what you made out of it.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I can't say for sure, but I'd wager a good sum if a betting man, that it is part of a collection that fell victim to a fire ( and water). It was listed with several other firearms, all more collectible than this one, all in the same condition, or much worse. Some had burnt sections on the lower stock. Some "panel cleaner" showed some dark residue that I removed from the stock on arrival but it was minor.

With the condition of the INSIDE of this rifle being far above the norm for its age, I'm willing to bet it got hosed down by the fireman during whatever catastrophe occurred.

Hopefully the owner was not killed in the blaze but I'm at a loss why those guns weren't cared for long before the water did it's number.

All speculation of course.....but I'm at a loss for another explanation.

God Bless
Steve

Your work does appear to be paying off quite handsomely. You've done well. What a great find. Congratulations.

I keep hinting around my grown sons about re-bluing this and then I'd wager it would appear new, if not better.

They aren't taking the hint for an Xmas present though. Drat.
God Bless
Steve

You may need to be somewhat more direct. I dunno', perhaps a statement to the effect, "Reblue this rifle before Christmas!" :mrgreen:

Back