Why did I buy it?

Bruce Mc

Handloader
Oct 26, 2005
Went into Dick's in Houston Saturday, just killing time, this store still sells guns, at least for the monent. All rifles on sale for a very low price. Succomed to my want of a 22-250 varmint rifle. A Rem 700 ADL camo stock, 26" heavy barrel 1/14 twist, cheapest scope I ever looked through. Bought five boxes of Nosler ammo to start. Look out New Mexico yotes. I guess I could help Dicks out if they want to get out of gun sales.

Well I suppose it’s ok to go into Dicks to buy a rifle.[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be a shooter!

Dad has a varmint weight 700 in 22-250. We couldn't get 55 grain tipped boattail bullets to shoot worth a hoot from it, but 52 & 53 grain Sierra Matchking hollow point bullets shoot great from it. He uses H380 powder for excellent accuracy and about 3600 fps.

I was pleased that those little match bullets worked so well on sage rats. (y)

I believe you'll be pleased. Dick's has disappointed the shooting community, but that should not stop anyone from seizing an opportunity to assist them in divesting themselves of all firearms.

That was my thought Doc. Rifle and cheapi scope, $350.00. Guy I hope it will shoot 55s as thats what I bought.

My 22-250 will shoot bullets up to 55gr if they are flat base. Even 64gr. But 55gr boat tails destabilize and groups grow into the 6-8" at 300 yards. A 64gr Win PP is .805" Nosler 64gr PP bonded is .790" 70gr Speed semi pointed is .790. These will stabilize in my 1-14". But 55gr FMJBT at .740 will not. A 55gr Sierra FB spitzer at .715" shoots great. 55gr Remington FB are .690"

I sighted the rifle in using Nosler Trophy Grade Varmint Ammo in 55 gr ballistic tip. It grouped about 3/4" right off. After shooting up the five boxes I bought I'll have some fine brass for reloading.

Yes mine will group 1" at 100 yards with 55gr BT bullets. 6" at 300. Before you load up a bunch, shoot them at a big target at 300. Look for out of round holes in target

Back