Need help with a sauer 100 xt bolt?

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Hey guys I just received this rifle, and will be posting about it soon. Trying to break the bolt down and clean all the grease out. For the life of me I can not figure it out lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Also the manual really has no information on it, other than putting bolt in and out lol. And releasing the firing pin. Done that several times, but no luck on actually getting the firing pin and spring out to clean the grease out.

Can you post a pic?

My Steyr bolt breaks down easily...as long as you know the trick, hold your mouth right, and are a Chinese acrobat with a degree in engineering.

hodgeman":2we258a7 said:
Can you post a pic?

My Steyr bolt breaks down easily...as long as you know the trick, hold your mouth right, and are a Chinese acrobat with a degree in engineering.
Lol I know right! Why cant they all break down like a model 70 or mauser 98. I will post a pick later tonight or tm my little girl is up and it's in the room where Santa is hiding stuff right now lol

hodgeman":2bfxvix0 said:
Can you post a pic?

First pic is in the cocked position. It has to be in this position to put bolt back in. Second pic is in the decocking position. And the third pic is a picture of a pin that I have no idea what it does. Have not gotten brave enough to touch it lol. I've rotated the back of the bolt clockwise and counter clockwise. All it does is spin until it hits the notch for cocking, or goes into the decocking position.
062e05f4c280719402b6bce011667096.jpg
d5587c9e658bb04b3346d1bcb67484da.jpg
b382e9a178e4c9272f5c373a0256326b.jpg

I'm not there to look it over from all angles so this is just based on what I see so far, but I'd say that pin in the 3rd picture is similar to the position locking button on the shroud of a mauser or M70. It's there for a reason and there's nothing else on that shroud exposed from what I can see. The cocking piece is almost flush so it doesn't appear to be designed to hold back while rotating the shroud, since there's no way to grab it with anything to hold it back.

It obviously cannot be rotated farther once it's decocked, so I'd try letting it in the cocked position, push that button if it depresses, then rotate it.

ShadeTree":hmaek3s7 said:
I'm not there to look it over from all angles so this is just based on what I see so far, but I'd say that pin in the 3rd picture is similar to the position locking button on the shroud of a mauser or M70. It's there for a reason and there's nothing else on that shroud exposed from what I can see. The cocking piece is almost flush so it doesn't appear to be designed to hold back while rotating the shroud, since there's no way to grab it with anything to hold it back.

It obviously cannot be rotated farther once it's decocked, so I'd try letting it in the cocked position, push that button if it depresses, then rotate it.
Thanks ShadeTree I'll give it a shot. Will report back when I get to mess with it some more. I'll try out the pin.

Since that bolt does not have a safety on the bolt, locking the firing pin, and the cocking piece cannot be held back manually. That pin/button, possibly serves the purpose of a Mauser or M70 safety when it's in the middle position. Holds the firing pin back while you rotate the shroud. Just a guess but everything else on that bolt is encased and blocked off, so that button has to do something.

ShadeTree":244kec69 said:
Since that bolt does not have a safety on the bolt, locking the firing pin, and the cocking piece cannot be held back manually. That pin/button, possibly serves the purpose of a Mauser or M70 safety when it's in the middle position. Holds the firing pin back while you rotate the shroud. Just a guess but everything else on that bolt is encased and blocked off, so that button has to do something.
Thanks man it worked like you said. That thing was coated in grease. It was oozing out around the firing pin and everywhere else lol. It doesnt get that cold here to possible cause a misfire over it, but figured it wouldn't hurt to clean it and put light coating on it. I appreciate it ShadeTree.
f37dd22713bbfa54c29a7fd5e5985ca9.jpg

Wow! That thing does look gunky! Good call on cleaning it out.

hodgeman":3vr4y8ho said:
Wow! That thing does look gunky! Good call on cleaning it out.
I've never seen one that packed lol.

Cleveland48":gyr8tcoe said:
ShadeTree":gyr8tcoe said:
Thanks man it worked like you said. That thing was coated in grease. It was oozing out around the firing pin and everywhere else lol. It doesnt get that cold here to possible cause a misfire over it, but figured it wouldn't hurt to clean it and put light coating on it. I appreciate it ShadeTree.
f37dd22713bbfa54c29a7fd5e5985ca9.jpg

Good deal bud. Always glad when I can help somebody out.

Back