Ruger 20" 338 RCM "balance?"

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I've only handled one of these ( wood stocked) at Cabelas. It had a huge, 30mm scope on it, so it felt like it was closer to a "club" than a Light Stalker, ha. I have one on layaway, and plan on starting with ( I may go even lighter, i.e. 1x4) 1.5x8 Razor Vortex ( maybe 14-15 oz with the rings?) Anyhow, if anyone has used this rifle (or similar build) how did it feel between your hands? did it seem "whippy", like a Mod 7 or a bit more muzzle heavy? If it "feels" too butt heavy, I will drill some big holes in the butt to lighten, possibly go to an even lighter weight scope. What has been your experience?

A friend has one up in Ak. I like it a lot. His is topped with an older Leupold 1.5x4. Seems about right. He really likes the Delta points I have on our protection rifles. Thinking about going to it. Regardless I think the rifle calls for a compact light weight system to balance correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a 1.5-4 or 2.5-8 would be a great set up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bf0651d687b826af1428259c03846205.jpg

Lupy 2.5-8 on mine. Very handy with the NECG peep!

bafb49b7434dc6f044ea546b30fa7a1b.jpg

Does NECG still make/offer that peep sight Bear? The rifle I have coming is wood stocked, but much, much dryer here in Utah than your place! :)

The NECG peep sights for the Rugers are lightweight, and swap out with a scope in Ruger rings in just a few moments. Key is to ensure that you torque those screws to the same inch-lbs of torque each time to maintain zero. Caarry your Fat Wrench in your daypack! Have worked well on both of my Rugers so equipped. Have not used long enough in the field to answer how rugged and reliable they are over time, but so far, so good.
That VX-3 2.5-8x36 would work well, but for lighter and better balance would recommend the VX-3 1.5-5x20.

The 1.5-5 is only 2oz lighter than the 2.5-8, I’ve been pretty happy with the 2.5-8, The ruger is actually pretty heavy for us compactness

I used the 1.5x5 on that Mod 700 Classic 35 Whelen (reamed to the Ackley) and the 2.5x8 on many more magnums, up to 375 Wby. I like them both. I have been playing with a Vortex Razor HD 1.5x8 and it has been very comparable to my experience with the 2.5x8. I like the wide field at low power and "usually" had time to crank up at longer distances. I also find that, like my binoculars", 8x is very steady for me. It doesn't "show my wiggles/tremors as much", ha.

I put one of these on my 338 Win mag and like it a lot though I haven't shot it much lately it is a lighter alternative to the bigger scopes and has the low light capabilities for dark woods hunting.

Attachments

• KIMG0097.jpeg
    KIMG0097.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 412
I like Burris scopes. I have a Timberline 4.5x14 that tracks/holds zero just fine. I also use an older FFII with the Ballistic Plex reticle that is just as accurate. Not too heavy either.

Main reason I asked about the "balance" is I tend to like longer rifles. Being tall, they just seem to "point where I'm looking", ha, so to speak. The only real carbines I ever shot well were leverguns. That may have a lot more to do with gun "fit" than balance.