Old Treasures.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Picked up an old Rem 760 in 35 Remington a couple weeks back. Looked in good shape overall and well cared for but I still have to disassemble every gun I get to check over and get a good cleaning.

Had the normal tarnish, dried oil, hard crusty stuff that is typical when a gun hasn't been apart since who knows when, if ever. It cleaned up nice when I was done and frankly I was impressed that a gun that's 68 yrs old can be in that kind of condition. Gun has some hunting marks on the stock but I'd say it was carried way more than it was shot.

The gun.

Underside of barrel and lug after cleaning. Didn't think to take a picture before I had the action rails back on.

Bottom of the bolt doesn't even have the bluing wore off where it rides over the trigger group. I disassembled the bolt enough to remove the firing pin and inspect it and that's as far as I went. Everything looked clean inside.

Nice find. I like the 760 as it was my first deer rifle (3006) and have a newer 79 year made 35. One of the best woods deer rifle going. Speer 180 gr and Hornady 200 gr FT group under an inch for me. Dan.

Dan I got a 141 in 35 Rem that I like a lot so not sure where this one will end up. I hate to be the one to mar it up.

What's your favorite powder for the 35 Rem if you don't mind my asking?

Nice!

Yes,
I would also like to know what your load for the Speer 180gr HotCor is?
Have some for the loading for the Marlin

ShadeTree":1m97h2po said:
Dan I got a 141 in 35 Rem that I like a lot so not sure where this one will end up. I hate to be the one to mar it up.

My load with the Speer 180 gr Flat Point is 45grs Leverevolution Win LR primer in a RP or Hornady case. This is max but safe in my rifle with out any pressure or problems. Have a few boxes of factory Hornady 200 gr flex tip that group about 3/4 in @ 100 yds. Plan on reloading some of them when all the Speers get shot up. Dan.

Beautiful rifle! That’s a darned gem, and a buck killer made to order. Love those 760’s!

Beautiful rifle indeed. Load up the Remington 200 gr SPCL bullets which are pretty impressive performers and you will have a great American Classic hunting rig for the thick cover.
Are you going to mount any glass on the rifle? A fixed power 4x would be sweet.

JD338

JD, In hindsight it's one of those purchases that maybe wasn't wise. Not because it wasn't a good buy, it was. But it's a first yr production rifle that is still in it's original factory form from that yr. Not drilled and tapped. As good as condition as it's in and being a less common 35 Rem chambering, I hate to mess it up by adding a scope.

So, I already have an iron sighted 141 in 35 Rem I like a lot. I may just make a buck and move this rifle on, and instead try to pick up a later version of the same 760 that came drilled and tapped. But either way you know I'm not going to be able to resist testing it for accuracy first! :grin:

Guy Miner":1dvbskg2 said:
I can completely understand that! Ya, I'd be tempted to leave it as is.

Guy

I knew I was buying an early model when I got it, but didn't know it was a first yr production until I got it home and checked the barrel code. That along with the fact that it appears to not have been fired much kind of changed my plans for it. It's not like a 760 in 35 Remington is a rare bird, but the 2 things above do make it more so.

I really am not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet....shoot it once in a while and keep it as something to pass on, or sell it and let somebody else enjoy it for what it is. If money grew on trees I'd never give it a second thought, but alas, real life has a way of trying to keep me at least somewhat practical in this ongoing bad habit of acquiring wood and steel. :lol:

wvbuckbuster":35588aqn said:
ShadeTree":35588aqn said:

My load with the Speer 180 gr Flat Point is 45grs Leverevolution Win LR primer in a RP or Hornady case. This is max but safe in my rifle with out any pressure or problems. Have a few boxes of factory Hornady 200 gr flex tip that group about 3/4 in @ 100 yds. Plan on reloading some of them when all the Speers get shot up. Dan.
Going thru my load data this evening I found this load also.
Speer 180 GR 38.5 GRS H4895 Win LR primer in Win case. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":1s5zrytv said:
wvbuckbuster":1s5zrytv said:
ShadeTree":1s5zrytv said:

Dan, Thank you for both those loads, I forgot to come back on here and acknowledge your first post. I will keep them for reference. Thanks.

ShadeTree":1a454jvi said:
wvbuckbuster":1a454jvi said:
wvbuckbuster":1a454jvi said:
ShadeTree":1a454jvi said:

Dan, Thank you for both those loads, I forgot to come back on here and acknowledge your first post. I will keep them for reference. Thanks.
Your welcome. Hope they work for you as they have for me. Dan.

Back