35 Whelen project about to kick off......finally

Brinky72

Beginner
Jan 25, 2019
I finally have what I need to start my 35 Whelen project. I’ve off loaded a couple rifles (savage axis 6.5 Creed and Ruger carbine 243) to make room and get me some cash. It will be built on a Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS action. The action has been already smoothed out and trigger has been cleaned up and lightened. It’s currently a 280 AI and shoots well but is a bit heavy with a 24” barrel. It going to get a Shilen SS barrel, Williams irons put on and Cerokote. I’m going to get either a 14” or 12” twist depending on what is offered and leaning toward 12”. Going with the stock rings and an old school Leupold VXII 3X9 for now . I have three of the same style and vintage. They just plain work and I like them. Not sure what length I’ll have it cut to. 24 gives extra FPS 22” handles better so maybe 23”. I truly doubt the Whelen loses much of anything at 22” v 24”. I’m a little geeked as I’ve been wanting one for quite some time. I remember reading about the Whelen in a gun magazine in the late 80’s around the time Remington brought it out in their 700 Classic and have wanted one since. Not sure what took so dang long but I’m happy to be there.

And, it didn’t help much when JD338 let me oogle his 35 Whelen Classic. A little motivation to say the least.

If you really want to make it come alive have the chamber cut for the 35 Whelen AI.
24" barrel is the way to go and the 2" will get you into the 338 Win velocity range or close to it.
Mine is built on an M70 CRPF action and I carried it while hunting Elk in Montana along with my 338 Win. It was easy to wack the 400 yd gong easily with either one when checking my zero after getting there.

Yes I know it’s about time. I kept telling myself that. I might go 24” but likely won’t go AI. With the load data with AA2000MR, RL15 and others it seems plenty as is.

You're gonna love the 35 Whelen. If you load the 225 gr AB, you will have a reasonably flat shooting 400 yard elk rifle. Did you get any timing for completion from your gunsmith? Can't wait to get you out to the club and ringing steel gongs out to 400 yards! It's going to be an awesome build buddy!

JD338

JD338":2eez1699 said:
You're gonna love the 35 Whelen. If you load the 225 gr AB, you will have a reasonably flat shooting 400 yard elk rifle. Did you get any timing for completion from your gunsmith? Can't wait to get you out to the club and ringing steel gongs out to 400 yards! It's going to be an awesome build buddy!

JD338

Not yet but he’ll get back soon. Think he said 6 to 8 weeks or so. I’m going standard chamber and 14” twist. A full 24” SS #3 contour or whatever most closely matches the current barrel. Shilen said a 14” twist will handle 310’s and won’t be finicky. If I want to go AI later I’ll just have it bumped back and have the chamber cleaned up. I think Aa2000MR and CFE 223 will keep me happy though.

Sounds like you will have it done by Spring. That will give you a lot of time to work up some loads for the fall hunting season.

JD338

I am doing the same thing Brinky. I have a Ruger Hawkeye action and either a Benchmark 1-9.5 3 contour or a 1-10 3 contour Krieger. Funny enough the rifle is already a 280 as well. I haven’t sent the parts off yet, but I’m looking forward to getting it built.

Looking forward to your build Brinky. I love the Whelen.

Congrats on the new build. The 1 in 14 will handle any bullet you would want to shoot so you will be good. With some of the powders out today you will certainly get a lot of speed. Speer and Nosler put out some impressive data that isn't under loaded like some of the data from the past. I have had 22" and currently a 24" barrel and to be honest there isn't any meaningful difference in performance between them. Looking forward to seeing your progress as your build goes on.

Speers 250 data is pretty serious.

RL15, 17 and Varget are barn burners with 225’s.

Don't forget IMR4320, too.

I get north of 2600fps for a 250PT in my M70 1:12 Whelen with a 24" barrel.

The buck I shot this year with it...I heard that big honkin' bullet slap into him from 260 yards away. BangFWAAAAAAAAAAAP!

It puts a goofy grin on your face.

I had built mine with a shilen #3 1-14 @23”. Shoots 250’s very well. I’m very happy with the build.
I only tried R15 with the 225 & 250’s and didn’t have to go any further. They both shot great.
I haven’t shot anything with the 225’s but 3 years ago, I shot a moose with the 250 partitions and was pretty impressed. I’m going back in the fall and going to try the 225 AB this time. I posted pics of build in the past if you look. I think you’ll be happy with yours. Good luck

I have three boxes (150) of Speer 250 grainers coming. The RCBS dies are already in the old Rockchucker and I have 100 ‘06 brass bumped up and annealed. The anticipation is killing me. I looked at the Speer data for 250’s is crazy. 2700fps with a 250 will be a freight train. I’d be content with 2550-2600. That’ll still flatten anything at any practical range.

Billbam. I’m getting the exact same barrel just 24”. I’m curious if there is enough meat to have iron sights drilled and taped. My smith wasn’t 100% sure if a #3 contour in .358 bore would.

Brinky72":3huwkn0f said:
I have three boxes (150) of Speer 250 grainers coming. The RCBS dies are already in the old Rockchucker and I have 100 ‘06 brass bumped up and annealed. The anticipation is killing me. I looked at the Speer data for 250’s is crazy. 2700fps with a 250 will be a freight train. I’d be content with 2550-2600. That’ll still flatten anything at any practical range.

Billbam. I’m getting the exact same barrel just 24”. I’m curious if there is enough meat to have iron sights drilled and taped. My smith wasn’t 100% sure if a #3 contour in .358 bore would.

It will be really interesting to see how those new powders work in real life. 2700 fps with a 250 is no joke but even a bit less speed it will be a hammer.

Pretty danged powerful combo. Even at 2600 the 250 Partition is wicked.

Attachments

• 196F458D-3CD1-4905-B379-E38B51729164.jpeg
    196F458D-3CD1-4905-B379-E38B51729164.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 2,079
I’ve read conflicting accuracy reports with the CFE223 but it will get the velocity. I guess AA2000MR is more consistent and accurate with the velocity. I have a full pound of CFE223 on hand and will give it a go. I also have a bunch of Varget,748,RL17,H4350 and RL15 will be in the future. Again 2500-ish with good accuracy would be my happy place. If I can get 2600 pushing 2700 with accuracy and no pressure issues I’ll do it so long as It doesn’t loosen my dental work.

Back