custom rifle build, caliber recomendations

dkmlever

Beginner
Oct 27, 2006
6.5-284
6.5-06AI
6.5-PRC

For long range hunting, antelope, sheep, deer possibly elk.
The choices for the rest of the build/components are done but I'm still looking for that right caliber.
I would rather NOT have to fire form brass and be able to buy commercial brass.
The action is a long action which I will use.
I have nice 30 cal's and 338, and a .25-06 so your opinion please.

I do not have specific hunting experience with the 280 AI, but I have one and am really impressed. I am sure its comparable to the 6.5-06 which would also be great.

dkmlever":34kru0zz said:
6.5-???

..... your opinion please.

Find the best bullet you can imagine and build the rifle for it.
You'll figure out the best cartridge somewhere down that road.

Long range 6.5? Look at the 6.5-300 Weatherby or a Nosler 26 , they will cover the game you seek with ease.

6.5-06 You said you did not want to have to fire-form cases. 25-06 brass necked up would be simple. The. 6.5-06AI would require those steps.

280 AI - Great cartridge. I have one and it's a good one! Used it a grizzly bear this fall.

6mm Remington":3a5iab1v said:
6.5-06 You said you did not want to have to firearm cases. 25-06 brass necked up would be simple. The. 6.5-06AI would require those steps.

280 AI - Great cartridge. I have one and it's a good one! Used it a grizzly bear this fall.

I’m with Bill and David. 6.5-06 or Improved and you’re off to the races.

For the choices you've listed for hunting i like the '06 aswell. But it would also be the hardest to find virgin brass and correct headstamps vs the other 2.

If the 'possibly elk' is more then a target of opportunity, when thats the gun you happen to be carrying, i would choose a bigger caliber. But thats what your 30's and 338 are for.

Another vote for the 280 AI. I've been shooting one in a custom build on a 700 action for almost 20 years and it is a great round. My wife also has a 280 AI in a Nosler M48 Heritage, shooting hers out to 800 yards and took a bull moose with it at 262 yards in 2018.
It's an impressive round.

JD338

The 6.5-06Ai is out as you will have neck size brass and fireform cases. And unless a boutique brass manufacturer is making brass for it, you will not be able to buy properly headstamped brass for it at the local gunstore. Quality Cartridge may make it...you'll have to check their website, and then special order it. It cost me over $3/case to get properly headstamped 250AI brass for my rifle, and I had to send fireformed cases to them to ensure the brass would fit my chamber.

The 6.5 PRC requires a short magnum action, so your long action may not work...at least not without opening up the bolt face, and not all gunsmiths will do that.

If your long action has the standard .473 bolt face, your best option is the 6.5-284 Norma.
There are several manufacturers that make brass and ammo...Nosler, Lapua, Norma, etc.
And it is the ballistic twin to the 6.5 PRC.
If you are going to do lots of target/long range shooting, then you won't get the barrel life out of it that they are realizing with the 6.5 PRC...but for regular practice and hunting, it should last you several years...if you do not hotrod it.

The 280AI is a good suggestion, although there are no flys on the regular 280 Rem either.
And with a good load with either the 150 or 160gr AB are going to give you an edge in frontal area and good BC and SD numbers compared to a 140 gr AB 7mm bullet.

In a comparison between the 6.5 and 7mm AccuBonds:
6.5 140 gr AB BC =.509 SD=.287 6.5 PRC @ 3066 fps w/ 2922 ft-lbs muzzle energy, zeroed @ 200 results in 500 yards figures of 2192 fps & 1494 ft-lbs energy w/ 35.7" drop
7mm 160gr AB BC=.531 SD =.283 280 Rem @ 2988 fps w/ 3172 ft-lbs muzzle, zeroed @ 200 yards results in 500 yards figures of 2161 fps & 1658 ft-lbs energy w/ 37.3" drop
But this will be a moot point if you already have a 6.5 cal barrel! Hope it is a 1:8 twist.

The new 6.5 RPM from Weatherby may be another option for you. Sorry, do not have enough info on it yet myself.

dkmlever":y641ow50 said:
6.5-284
6.5-06AI
6.5-PRC

The choices for the rest of the build/components are done but I'm still looking for that right caliber.
I would rather NOT have to fire form brass and be able to buy commercial brass.
The action is a long action which I will use.
I have nice 30 cal's and 338, and a .25-06 so your opinion please.

Given that you have a long action and don't want to fool around with brass the 6.5/284 would be the one I would go for otherwise the 6.5 PRC would be really great if you had a magnum action.

I would also take a good look at the new 6.5 Weatherby RPM which looks like it is a lengthened version of the 6.5/284.

https://weatherby.com/ammunition/6-5-wby-rpm/

I really like the looks of this new Weatherby round and it might be exactly what you are looking for.

I would go with a long throated 284 win. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What can I say.... I'm a fan of the 6.5x284. I've got two of them. Both Long Action.

6.5-06 is going to give you the least amount of issues getting proper feeding. I’m not sure about commercial ready-to-go case availability. The short-fats you mentioned may or may not require additional measures depending on your action. I doubt there’s much meaningful difference ballistically with any you mentioned.

Thanks to all who provided your insight and experience.
I have made my choice and started the rifle build, I'll post pictures when done.
Kevin Weaver is doing the work for me.

dkmlever":unmtous1 said:
Thanks to all who provided your insight and experience.
I have made my choice and started the rifle build, I'll post pictures when done.
Kevin Weaver is doing the work for me.
What did you choose? Inquiring minds want to know!!

If on a Rem 700 action the 6.5x284 will feed without issue in my own experience. If using a Sako 75 action, that can present issues with feeding. Not saying it can't be done as I know it can but it can require some fettling.

For this reason I went 6.5-06 this time and with the ability to get an extra one down. It's on a Stiller action and i'm very pleased with it. Sub half rifle bedded in a McM Rem Hunter stock.

Choosing a caliber when doing a custom build has always been my problem, and one I spend the most amount of time considering. the last complete custom build I did, I finally settled on the 280 Ack Imp, and I'm glad I did. It is easily one of the most accurate rifles I own.

Whichever you choose to settle with, good luck with it. Enjoy the hell out of it. Doing a custom build is quiet expensive, so make sure you settle on a caliber you really want.

My vote goes to 6.5-284 due to Lapua brass and sheer accuracy. Second would be the 6.5/06 AI. Either one of those is still on my "to build someday" list.....

Back