Ruger Rifles.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Don't own 1, but have worked with 5 now. Older tang safety's to more modern, I gotta say they've all been shooters, and 2 of them were flat out tack drivers. I see one in my future if I run across the right one.

Just finished up a buddies older Mark II skeleton stock stainless in 243. Top to bottom cleaning and put new rings and a scope on it.

After bore sighting, 4 shots to foul the barrel and dial the scope to target, then 3 shots on target at 100.

New Rem brass, 100 gr Sierra GK that he likes to shoot, seated .030 off the lands. 43 grains of good old IMR 4831. Without fussing around to see if the gun can shoot under 1/2", I'd say that load will hunt.

The rifle. Trigger leaves some to be desired, but is certainly useable.

Target. Was aiming for the black tip. When I was done I clicked it 1 click to the right, 2 clicks down and called it good.

Nice! My son has a Ruger MK II in 6mm Remington with a Boyds Laminate stock that has been checkered, pillar & glass bedded, and trigger adjust to about 3 pounds. Nice and crisp. It sure shoots nice. I like Ruger's. They are built tough. Don't care much for the paddle stock.

I have two Ruger 1B's also and they both shoot as well. A 6mm and a 30-06.

6mm Remington":3ty6b808 said:
Nice! My son has a Ruger MK II in 6mm Remington with a Boyds Laminate stock that has been checkered, pillar & glass bedded, and trigger adjust to about 3 pounds. Nice and crisp. It sure shoots nice. I like Ruger's. They are built tough. Don't care much for the paddle stock.

I have two Ruger 1B's also and they both shoot as well. A 6mm and a 30-06.

They must be tough. My buddy is a hunter extraordinaire, but a maintenance man he is not. The amount of debris and dirt I got out of just the lug recesses alone made me shake my head. Can't believe the bolt could close. Firing pin was gunked and caked with hard oil, dirt, soot, on and on. DIRTY.

They seem to be well made rifles, and like I said the ones I've been around so far have been shooters.

I've always had good success with Rugers. They are not particularly attractive rifles, but they are built like a tank and somehow deliver the goods. I own three of them at the present time, and all are shooters. Yeah, they do keep on ticking, even after taking a licking.

I've owned 3 M77 Rugers in the past. .25-06, .300 Win Mag, and .338 Win Mag!
It's funny, the .300 Win Mag was the only one of the 3 that ate me alive when I fired it, even when hunting. The .338 Win Mag I had was a lot more pleasant to shoot than that.
All 3 were tack drivers, though.
They're not beautiful, bit as Timex used to say," They take a licking, and keep on ticking!"

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":2eax8sex said:
I also had a 300 WM I couldn’t wait to get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I got rid of mine as fast as I could. Then I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby Mag, and I I can say I loved shooting that. The Ruger had too thin of a butt, and had that hard, red, rubber butt pad. That .300 Win Mag was like having a mule kick me in my shoulder.

Hawk

Several Ruger rifles in my family. Each of my sons has a 10/22. Boy did the 22 ammo consumption go up after they got those semi-autos!

And I've got a couple of Ruger Number One single shot rifles, each of which is accurate and wonderful in a way that Number One rifles are.

And "Big Ugly" the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm Creedmoor. That thing looks nasty, but shoots great.

As I understand it, Ruger started making their own barrels 20+ years ago and accuracy & consistency greatly improved. I like the scope mounting system on the 77 & Hawkeye. If they'd made a 24" 30-06, I'd likely have one instead of my Rem 700 CDL. But I'm kinda hung up on 24" barrels for most of my rifles. I just like them. Nothing wrong with a 22" I suppose, but it really was a big factor for me when it came time to buy.

Still thinking about selling most of my rifles and going with just a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 with that danged 22" barrel... Guess I could have it re-barreled with a 24" tube if it matters so much. Ha!

Regards, Guy

Guy, my opinion only, but seems like the Hawkeye's are some of the nicer rifles Ruger ever produced. My problem with them is more aesthetic than mechanical. I don't like that brushed nickel or stainless looking bolt and bolt handle. Much prefer the blued steel on the older ones. I also prefer the polished smooth bluing on the barrels of the older models vs the flat finish of the newer models, although I can let that part slide.

Guess like you I could always make changes and pay to have the bolt and handle polished and blued. A Hawkeye in 7mm-08 priced right would be hard for me to turn down.

I'm right there with you Guy. I prefer a 24 inch barrel on my rifles as well. I will take a 22 inch of need be.
I forgot to add that I have owned a Ruger American Rifle in .308 Win. It shot factory ammo just a hair under an inch, and with handloads, would be a consistent .6 inch.
Now I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I can't wait to see what she can do accuracy wise. Yes, she does have a 22 inch magnum contour barrel, and surprisingly, will keep velocities right along with a 24 inch.
I like Ruger products a lot. Not only the rifles, but I also own a Ruger Blackhawk revolver in .41 Mag, and it's as accurate as a revolver can be. Plus, I got a Ruger P89 T 9mm for my wife to learn how to shoot, and to use as conceal carry. I got her that because it's built like an M1 Abrams, and will take a beating. Not to mention it can shoot the +P, and +P+ loads without too much wear and tear on it.

Hawk

Dan I'm curious to know if you chronographed the loads you shot in that rifle?

Some of the Ruger's might be homely or downright ugly, but there are some I really like. The Ruger #1's are beautiful classic rifles. Not just good looking but beautiful! Very classy looking rifles.

I've always liked the wood stocked Ruger MKII's but really like the looks of the Hawkeye and how they have fine tuned the stock designs and trimmed it down. As Guy noted, their scope mounting system is one of the best out there. Simple and strong. For a while Ruger had wood laminate stocks available for some of the Model 77's. I really liked those. The Boyds stock we put on my son's Model 77 is a nutmeg colored laminate and it's really made the rifle a sharp looking package.

My guide in Alaska on my grizzly bear hunt had a 338 magnum in a stainless synthetic Model 77. Those boat paddle stocks are hideous and I've shot a couple and they seem to accentuate the recoil and beat the crap out of a person. He's abused this rifle for a LONG time guiding grizzly bear hunters and he depends on it to perform, which it does. I wish Ruger would go with a B&C stock with the aluminum bedding block, something like Winchester has done with their synthetic stocks. They are attractive and have nice lines in addition to good butt pads.

Had an older 2506 in a Ruger MKII stainless/synthetic that shot 1/2 MOA with just about anything and everything I wanted to shoot out of it. Shot the barrel out 3000 rounds in a few years. It was my first rifle that got me the long range shooting bug 20 years ago...

Back