Grandpa's rifle back together.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Much as you hate to sometimes disturb these old guns, it pays to tear them down and go over them. We owe it to them to preserve them best as possible in my view.

I disassembled the bolt and like most of the other metal pieces it was dry, dirty and gritty.

All cleaned up like new and wiped with a thin film of oil. The other metal pieces in the trigger group and action benefited greatly from the same treatment.

All reassembled. Action works slick and smooth as a whistle. Now it's just waiting on warmer weather for the fun part of shooting it. (y)

DrMike":2bc9bzlc said:
A job well done. You are to be congratulated, sir.

Thank you Dr. Mike. These really are simply designed. I think I had 6-7 pieces when it was all apart, not counting screws and bushings. And goes back together easy.

Dad's M 71 on the other hand was more like 25-28 pieces and some could only go back in a certain way, and in a certain order. I'd go to put a piece in and realize I had to take the last 2 pieces I just fought with, back out.

The M 71 is another very well made rifle, and I wouldn't give it up for nothing, but they are certainly more complicated.

Very nice. Looks great. I’ll need to give mine a work over on a rainy day.

Back