M1920 Savage with IMR 4350

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Put on here before that my old Savage with 1 in 14 twist shoots the 87 gr speer hc real well.

Using H4895 it shot best and most consistently at the high charge weights but they were sizzling velocities. Starting charges where the speeds were lower opened groups up some, probably due in part to poor case fill.

Per Hodgdon a top load of 39 gr's of IMR4350 with that bullet generates just 2900 and mild pressures. Closer to what I'm looking for speed wise for game, and a full case. Hodgdon shows a compressed load with Remington brass, but using Hornady brass it sits just below the neck. Loaded up some single charges under that, then 3 at the top.

As is typical with IMR4350 it often shines with a full case.

Oh, that is just sweet! I wont crow anymore,,,,, Happy for you! What tag is first? 4350 works for me too! CL

Yes, indeed. The old rifle still turns in an excellent result. Congratulations on finding a great load. Troy asks quite a sensible question: Which tag is first?

Thanks fella's. Still need to verify speed on this load and jug test that bullet. I'd love to see it make it into the 3rd jug at 25 yds. Hopefully it shows good results as it's an easy bullet to make shoot in this gun, along with low recoil. Just a nice combo.

If not, then I'll continue to use the 87 gr for practice and use the 100 gr Speer for hunting. I've tested the 100 gr load a couple times now. Group size so far has ranged from 1.75" to 2.75" at 100 yds. Certainly an option if need be, as most of my woods shots are 75 yds and under.

This load seems like it's shooting better than I'm capable of with iron sights and eyes that are struggling more than I care to admit.

It done so well at 50 I had to try it out at 100 yds. I moved the rear post of the peep sight down a bit because it was shooting a little high at 50. I went too far but that's okay, wont take much to move it halfway back.

3 shots from a cold bore, 1st shot was the one down in the black. Don't ask me to bet my life on repeating it at 100 with iron sights, but this load combo sure acts like it makes this old rifle click.

Nice darned shooting! Man, that Savage is too friggin cool! I hope you're able to take it hunting. That sorta accuracy is excellent and from an old classic rifle is just too awesome.

I am also looking forward to a jug test with that bullet. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be A-OK at the speeds you're launching it!

Thanks Scotty. Was meant to have that rifle I guess as I spotted it on Gunbroker and didn't even know initially what it was as I'd never seen one before. Told my wife look at this thing! In another stroke of everything lining up, it ended up being right down the road from me so I was able to inspect it in person before bidding and eliminate shipping and FL charges because I picked it up in person. Even if it shot mediocre I wouldn't regret it. Too neat to pass up.

I'll jug test sometime in the near future. I don't think it's gonna be a blowup bullet at those speeds.

Yeah, I am forever keeping my eye out for one of them.

If you've ever read Kohler's "Shots at Whitetails", then you secretly want a model 1920 in 250 Savage!

Back