Rechamber to 280AI??

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Say a guy has a Rem 700 KS 280 with a 24" barrel that shoots under 1/2 MOA as is with very little load development. Would you take the risk of rechambering to the 280 AI for the maybe 100fps gain and just being "different"? That was my original plan, but I've always read you shouldn't mess with an accurate rifle to much...your guys thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated on the subject. He wants $200 to rechamber as well.

Don't do it since it shoots that well IMO. I've owned a 280 AI since 2000 built by Kenny at Jarrett Rifles inc. What you have will do the exact same thing with the same bullet each and every time if you do your part! Why fix what ain't broke......... Resale in a KS will be higher untouched too.

Leave it as is!
Don't mess with a hard to find rifle that shoots so well!

The 280 is a great cartridge, even when loaded to its original SAAMI pressure specs.
I have never found it wanting on big game, and while I have owned a 7MM Rem Mag and do still own and use a 7MM STW, the 280 Rem remains my favourite cartridge overall.

I have found that the 140 gr works well, but prefer the performance on bigger game up to and including elk to be better overall with the 160 gr bullets. I have yet to try the new 150 gr AB in my 280, and am looking forward to seeing its performance first hand, both on the range and in the field on big game.

If you do "NEED" to get extra velocity out of it, any modern bolt action will handle loading up to pressures similar to that loaded for in the 270 Win, but in reality you are not going to see that much increase in velocity, with the increase in pressure when you crunch the numbers. And no animal is going to know the difference!

Quickload shows a load with Re-26 and the 160 gr AB that is only 58 fps behind a favourite load of Re-19 and the same bullet in in the 7mm Rem Mag. Now that's performance in a great, under rated cartridge!

If you gotta have a 280AI, find another rifle as a donor or buy one already chambered to the cartridge.

So that's 2 for a no go. I ran a quick ladder with H4831 and 160g TMK and it put first 8 shots under a penny at 100 yards over a 1.6g powder spread...

Attachments

• 20200328_151819.jpg
    20200328_151819.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 586
If it shoots that well, improving it for a bit more velocity isn't worth the effort & expense in my opinion.

I think you've got one heck of a .280, and I'd leave the chamber alone.

Guy

Can't add anything to what's already been said. Great shooting rifle. Leave it alone in my book.

IdahoCTD":2t92e3fd said:
And it shoots a Ginger Bread Man group. Leave it alone :lol: :lol:

:lol: That's pretty good Idaho.

IdahoCTD":2h90aghh said:
And it shoots a Ginger Bread Man group. Leave it alone :lol: :lol:

Ha ha it does!

I'm with everyone else in saying don't change a thing with a rifle that shoots so well. Loaded to the same pressure as the 280 AI it comes very close anyway to it when it comes to speed.

I have always lived by the rule "if its not broken, don't mess with it, change it, touch it or modify it in any way" . Nuff from me.

Well I thank you all, the decision has been made to pass on rechambering to the 280AI. This is easily one of the most accurate factory rifles I have ever owned. Pretty excited about it really. vx2 4-12x with fine duplex and target knobs set in talley lightweights. Will make a dandy packing/backup rifle to the 16# 7-300 win mag.

Those are the nicest guns Remington has ever made in my opinion and you sure got a good one.

Good decision Jorey. When it comes time to rebarrel, a premium barrel in 280AI would be good way to go.

JD338

Back