Tikka build

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I'm in the very beginning process of rebarreling a Tikka T3 from 7mmRM to 7WSM.

As with any project, there might be unexpected turns and pauses in the process, but as of right now, the plan is to rebarrel my action, replace the scope, and buy a new stock for the project. The goal is to build a rifle to deer/antelope/elk hunt with. I would really like to be able to shoot at game out to 500 with it but if I can't do that, I will not risk shots that far. I would like to shoot 150-160 grain bullets. Something like the 150 Partition or 160 AccuBond would be a killer out to 500.

During the process, I know I will be asking a million questions so please bear with me during this learning process.

My set of questions are: How do you find a smith you trust to do the work? What twist does the barrel need? Are there other bullets to look into?

I have been very impressed with long rifles inc. excellent work and quick turnaround times. I would probably opt for a Remington style recoil lug conversion along with the rebarrel unless you go with a stock that has an aluminum interface like one of the chassis style stocks. I would take a good look at the KRG bravo and X-ray.

This is my Remington in a bravo chassis, they also make a tikka version
e82a5e6ba1306adea231848fbc9bb4b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an aside, I ordered some Hornady 7mm WSM brass from Midsouth Shooters Supply a few months ago and I verified they still have some in stock. It's running $50 for 50 pieces.

Hope this helps.

Ron

I have called 4 smiths about this build and 2 of them say that the 7mmRM can be turned into a 7wsm. The other two said that it can not be converted into a 7wsm?? I'm really confused on this one?

I’m not a Tikka expert. I do own one. I like it. I believe all the action lengths are the same, the only difference is bolt face diameter, bolt stop length, and magazine. I see no reason why your 7RM couldn’t be converted to 7WSM. The bolt face is the same. Perhaps the gunsmith that said no was thinking of re-chambering your 7RM barrel? If so, perish the thought. Just buy a contoured blank and have it chambered, or get a prefit that takes a nut like Savage does.

They both said that the WSM case will not work because it is thicker than the RemMag round??? Both said it is a feeding issue? I'm not sure why and they both didn't explain it very well.

Hmmm. OK. The ejection port on the T3X is enlarged a bit over the T3. Maybe that is the concern. There were factory WSM chamberings in the T3 though. The magazines are center feed. I just don’t see a potential for feed issues but I’ve been wrong before.

Opinions vary, as do cartridge choices for one reason or another. That said, the RM has more energy potential than the WSM, and ammo is everywhere. Something to consider in your deliberations.

This fellow is a Tikka expert. Check with him:

https://www.hellscanyonarmory.com

And yet you can buy Tikka's in 300 WSM and 270 WSM. This leads me to think the 7mm WSM will feed just fine.

One reason for the 7wsm idea is to have more length to seat the bullets closer to the lands and not have to worry about mag length issues.

I will contact hells canyon and see what he says. I'm just not understanding the issue either. I'm guessing I will need a new mag if I go 7wsm but that is fine.

I'm not there to look at a Tikka, so this is completely off the cuff and might not be the reason at all. But I suspect they will tell you it will be a feeding issue because of the short fat case.

The 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, and 300 WSM, are all virtually identical in measurements. Tikka probably specifically altered the feed rails and cartridge ramp in receivers intended to be chambered for the 270 WSM, and 300 WSM, to provide reliable feeding for such a uniquely dimensioned cartridge design.

Just my guess, I could be all wrong as to the real reason.

I think the smiths you contacted didn’t know what they were talking about. As mentioned above, all the t3 actions are the same length, just need a different bolt stop, they also center feed from a magazine so that’s not an issue.

I would look to a smith better versed in tilkka actions.

ShadeTree, what you mentioned about feed rails and ramps is what they mentioned to me. I don't know how much needs to be altered to make it work?

If that’s what the said I would look to a more competent Smith. The magazine is what lines up and feeds a t3

If they center feed from the magazine then that wouldn't be the issue. It is still possible that the bolt rails are not wide enough on a standard tikka action to accommodate that fat case getting up through, don't know. A quick measurement with calibers would tell you.

W.T. I'd get every question answered 3 ways to make sure you don't spend money going down a road that isn't gaining you anything. You mentioned being able to seat bullets out to the lands without worrying about mag length issues? However if you have to get a WSM magazine to be able to load those fat cases, then that would be a moot point, correct? You will still have to work within the confines of the WSM mag length? It's not like you will have a 7mmRM length magazine that will be wide enough internally to work for the WSM? Just brainstorming here, thinking of things you would want answers to.

Great point ShadeTree. I will write that question down. I looked a lot at the Tikka shooters forum and there were 3 smiths that keep coming up as guys to work with. I contacted all 3 of them and they both said it was no problem.

wisconsinteacher":gvmhmjr9 said:
Great point ShadeTree. I will write that question down. I looked a lot at the Tikka shooters forum and there were 3 smiths that keep coming up as guys to work with. I contacted all 3 of them and they both said it was no problem.

Good deal. Hopefully the magazine length wont be an issue either. Maybe the existing 7mm magazine could be modified to make work. Those smiths should be able to let you know on all that.

Like I said, just thinking out loud basically on something you might want to look out for. Far be it from me to deter someone else from spending money for a change, instead of me. :lol:

There are a couple of magazines built from billet aluminum that accommodate the short - fats out to 3.0 with no bolt stop mod. Hells Canyon, Mountain Tactical in USA. Atlasworx in Australia also makes some nice accessories.

I’m betting a WSM case will slide right into the 7 RM magazine. The mag has to be wide enough to fit the rem mag belt, the WSM is no wider than the belt

Thebear_78":3difykpx said:
I’m betting a WSM case will slide right into the 7 RM magazine. The mag has to be wide enough to fit the rem mag belt, the WSM is no wider than the belt

Bear, the WSM is wider than the belt on a 7 RM by .023, but that doesn't mean you're wrong about it working. I'm not sure how tight the tolerances would be within the mag. Could be plenty of room left.

Good discussion, I find these kind of things interesting. Don't know if I'll ever use it, but maybe I'll learn something from W.T's results of this topic to store away in the ole noggin. :)

You shake a tikka magazine and it will rattle like a maracas. There will be plenty of room

Back