39A at the Gun Club

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Gosh, it was so nice...

The gun club opened for the first time in a month or so, just a few days ago. This morning I put my 39A, a couple of hundred fresh rounds and some targets in the Jeep. Then headed to the gun club.

I'd recently put the poor ol' Tasco scope back on it. Had been using the factory sights for a couple of years. The scope wasn't off by much, about 1/2" at 25 yards. A few shots and a couple of minor scope adjustments solved that.

I was shooting CCI Long Rifle Hollow Point "mini mags" and wow - the rifle really likes them. Shot after shot into tight groups. No malfunctions. No misses. Just good shooting with my all-time favorite rifle, a Marlin 39A.

Big smiles all afternoon, following the range session.

Guy

Guy, that's a nice rifle. I found one at our local gun show about three years ago. The original owner (who was managing a table at the show) said it had about one box of ammo through it. He also mentioned that he had an original peep sight that he would put back on it before selling it to me. Price was $375.00. I came back to the table in about an hour and to my surprise I found an original Steel Redfield peep sight on it. I walked away with a smile on my face that day. The rifle shoots beautifully and is about 90 percent finish wise. Age is about 50 years.

Nothing like a levergun that can put a smile on a person's face!
Unfortunately, I have never owned or fired a Marlin 39A, but have read a great many reviews of these rifles from their adoring fans. Although I do have a number of Marlins and do enjoy shooting and hunting with them! Have been out shooting my 336ER in 356 Win, and love my old 375S in 375 Win! Enjoying my 1894 in 41 Rem Mag too! Still need to get out and shoot that 35 Rem.

May have to break down and get a 39A someday! I know there are a few variants from over the years...which is the preferred Model?

Have had a Winchester 9422 Trapper(which is now gone) and have shot others, also fun.

Nothing better than spending time at the range with a good 22 rimfire sharpening your skills during the off season.

JD338

If I knew where to put another safe, I would get one! Time to buy a house...
I only had a Marlin 44 mag octagon barrel, but sold it when I picked up hunting. Not allowed for boar here...
Still on the watch for one of the bigger ones for driven hunts.

One day....

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Good deal Guy. 22's in general are fun to shoot, older levers or pumps even more so in my view.

Honestly guys - the little Marlin 39A remains my all-time favorite rifle.

Dearly love range time with it, or carrying it afield.

During the great 22 ammo shortage a few years back, I enjoyed shooting 22 shorts from it. Almost no noise from the 24" barrel, deadly accurate, and the Marlin functions just fine with those stubby cartridges.

The Marlin 39's in their various guises are certainly going for a pretty penny these days, but such a nice rifle. :grin:

Guy

I bought my 39A in 1975 for $125.It always shot well with open sights.I never knew just how accurate it really was until I scoped it about ten years ago.Wow!!! Instead of shooting at 1" bulls,I was shooting at the bullet hole and hitting it many times at 50yds.Those Marlins are awesome rifles.Built heavy like a centerfire rifle in a little smaller package.They are even a lot louder than most 22's.Mine has a very loud crack sound when it goes off.

Back