Daughter's new rifle

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
Mostly for blacktails but might take her to Wy for Antelope some day. It's a Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor stocked in a B&C youth stock. Just breaking it in, will start load work soon. It's a handy little rifle, weighs about 6.5 pounds. The trigger is really crisp and it's easy to shoot. I tried 120gr BTs to break it in. I'll probably keep the bullet weight below 130 grains to help with the recoil.

Attachments

• Char's new gun.jpg
    Char's new gun.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 794
Appears to be just perfect for what she'll hunt. Excellent acquisition. Looking forward to seeing the first blacktail she drops with her rifle.

Hey- Ive managed to avoid the 6.5 mania. However, that sounds like a really neat, nice rifle. Look forward to pics with its first goat! CL

Nice looking setup. I find it rather fun setting up a rifle for the daughters. Twice as fun when you have a Righty and a Lefty you get to set up

I load the 260 with 129 interlock and the starting load of H4895 mild recoil and accurate.

Very nice looking rifle that will do what she wants without beating her up with excessive recoil! Nice choice.

What a nice little rifle!

Scope choice for her?

A 6.5 with 120's should be an excellent deer & antelope rifle.

Guy

Great way to go for a kid/female hunter!

I’ve seen my kids clobber all kinds of stuff (deer, antelope, elk) over the past several years, running 120-130 grain bullets out of a 20” barreled .260.

Nice looking set up for her. I can't help noticing the mounts in the background. You've done some fun hunting it seems.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Guy Miner":2are3n27 said:
What a nice little rifle!

Scope choice for her?

A 6.5 with 120's should be an excellent deer & antelope rifle.

Guy

Guy,
Right now it's carrying a Nikon 3x9 but it's bulkier than I would like. I'm considering moving a Leupold 2x7 to it. It's half the size. We'll see...…

Scott

Great looking set up, hope she ends up bagging a lot of game over the years with it!

Back