New gun decision...

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
So apparently I have some stimulus and travel pay just burning in my pocket. I want to limit myself to just one gun purchase right now and am having a hard time on deciding, that and I am easily swayed. Anyway here is my short list they all have a bit of cool factor and each has its own reason
Sako A7 25-06 Coyote
Tikka T3x Sporter 260
Winchester Case Hardened 1892 or 1873 in 357
Ruger Redhawk 4.2" in 41 Mag

Runners up
Kimber Classic select 25-06
Sako Bavarian 260

I have been able find a source for each of them except for one of the Winchesters.

Enablers Attack!

Well, any of those would be an excellent addition to the gun safe. Any of them will soothe an itch and work very well in the field doing what it was designed to do.

That Sako Bavarian sure is a pretty rifle. That’d be my pick of those listed with the Tikka 260 being runner up.

I would be looking at one of the 260's or the 41 magnum revolver myself. That Sako would be really nice in particular.

I've been thinking about a new toy myself, one with which I can seriously spoil myself. Looking at possible a Dakota Model 10 in 7x57 and the cost be damned. (y)
Paul B.

PJGunner":2pvqph1l said:
I've been thinking about a new toy myself, one with which I can seriously spoil myself. Looking at possible a Dakota Model 10 in 7x57 and the cost be damned. (y)
Paul B.

Now, that is a fine idea! The 7 Mauser is a great cartridge, and the Dakota Model 10 is a sho' 'nuf handsome rifle.

DrMike":241de9xi said:
PJGunner":241de9xi said:
Paul B.

Now, that is a fine idea! The 7 Mauser is a great cartridge, and the Dakota Model 10 is a sho' 'nuf handsome rifle.

Sounds like a beaut!

PJGunner":8uhcc8jv said:
Paul B.
Oh man that's purdy single shot rifle, even takes the trophy over my Ruger 1B's although I was lucky and both have beautiful stocks. And the 7mm Mauser. Man that is sweet.

I'd look at the Sako Bavarian in 260 (or even in the 25-06 for that matter) with the Ruger in 41 Rem Mag as a strong second.

Just got my new Sako 85 Finnlight II LH in 308 Win in the mail today!
Already have the carbon fibre barrel ordered to rebarrel in the 338 Federal!
Should come together before the end of summer!

This is why it is so tough to choose one. And i suppose i should tell you some of the reasons for each
25-06 both sako and kimber cause i want an 06 hunting rifle not sure synthetic or wood, and to pair with my heavy barrel 695 tikka
260 tikka sporter for shooting offhand at the range to try and show up everyone (including myself) who are always shooting of rest's and i like 260s
Winchesters and Sako Bavarian, Wall Hangers status, that would also be fun take out and shoot open sights(tri purpose shooting distance offhand and iron sights)
41 mag is just more gun than 357 for having in bear country, retrieving game after the first trip out.

Being a short a short action fan I'd vote for the 260. Though I don't own anything in quarter bore...hmm?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

This is a tough one. I don’t see any “wrong” choices. A great list. I like my Sakos...but haven’t had any experience with the Kimber rifles. I have a couple 25-06s - a fine cartridge. If I wasn’t addicted to my Swedes I would probably own a 260. Ahh, a .41 Mag, another one of my favorite hand gun chamberings! I would strongly suggest you reduce the stress in this decision and buy one of these rifles AND the .41 Mag!! Enjoy!!

Interesting; my personal experience is with a SAKO 85 (aka) black mamba in a 30-06. Most accurate and lightweight factory hunting rifle. I also have a Kimber Classic Select in 300 Win mag, beautiful wood and very accurate. This years elk rifle. Just purchased another Kimber Classic Select in 270. Looking forward to working with the new Kimber at the range.

There is a used Kimber Select in 338 Federal I have been staring at for a couple of weeks an one of my LGSs

Back