Help with ruger hawkeye question

Barkbuster20

Beginner
Apr 5, 2019
Hello im looking to get a ruger m77 hawkeye in 35 whelen or 9.3x62 and the cheapest option seems to be to get one rebored -- I see several .270s on gunbroker -- the special editions they put out in the early 2000s with the green molded stock going for 450 with a rebore that would put it right at 700 with shipping

My question is what is the outside diameter of the muzzle on the hawkeye 270-280- and 30-06? Hoping someone may have one they can put the calipers to --- thanks!

Barkbuster20":1rn4uxjv said:
Hello im looking to get a ruger m77 hawkeye in 35 whelen or 9.3x62 and the cheapest option seems to be to get one rebored -- I see several .270s on gunbroker -- the special editions they put out in the early 2000s with the green molded stock going for 450 with a rebore that would put it right at 700 with shipping

My question is what is the outside diameter of the muzzle on the hawkeye 270-280- and 30-06? Hoping someone may have one they can put the calipers to --- thanks!
If you do decide to purchase a Ruger Hawkeye in .270, or .280, my suggestion would be to re-barrel it to .35 Whelen. I´m thinking you won´t have enough metal to rebore it to .35 Whelen.
The premium barrels don´t cost that much nowadays, and a decent gunsmith can have your old barrel off, and and new barrel on in no time along with proper headspacing. The cost would be similar to reboring.

Hawk

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Well a rebore is $225- and is effectively a new barrel. Gunsmith cost is variable, but between buying a contoured barrel and having it installed will likely be a minimum of 500. I have a .338 am so I dont really 'need' either but I would like a shorter handier brush gun with 300 grain bullets. I know the magnum contour barrels have enough meat -- but 25-06 hawkeyes arent cheap or abundant. I would have to get a really good deal on a hawkeye to justify a rebarrel

:p I guess I can call ruger tomorrow but if anyone on here has calipers and a hawkeye 270 could you measure the muzzle and see if its at least .616 -- if not how far down the barrel till it reaches .616i wouldnt mind going down to 19-20 inches on a 9.3x62

Well, from what I have read, Ruger Hawkeye barrels differ in diameter depending on caliber, and the outside diameter ranges from .570 to .610 diameter.
I would believe that a .338 Ruger M77 Hawkeye has a barrel diameter of .610, and the non magnum barrels start at .570 diameter.

Hawk

Thx... I know my 338 mk II has a mag contour barrel and my 7mm no II is sport er... I think I might have to look for a 25-06 I think they have a magnum contour

If I´m thinking correctly, the .25-06 isn't going to have a magnum contour. I had an old Ruger M77, and.it was a regular sporter barrel, not a magnum profile.
I don´t think Ruger from that time has changed the contours of their barrels, unless maybe it was changing the varmint rifle barrel contours.

Hawk

Barkbuster20":1b3bqgj9 said:

I don't know why it has to be a Hawkeye and I looked on GB to see what the prices were running and was I ever surprised how the prices have jumped.
I own a tang safety 30-06 which isn't for sale but I also owned a Hawkeye 338win and that thing was a monster to lug around in Montana hunting Elk.
I also carried my M70 35 Whelen improved which I carried when my arms got tired from lugging the Hawkeye.
Like you I wanted a 35 Whelen and actually bought a 700 classic that I wasn't happy with and sold it to a member here after I had JES rebore the M70 30-06 and chamber it to 35 imp.( It's not for sale either.)
But if I was looking like you are I would buy this on gun broker
( gunbroker.com/item/870444413 ) it's a custom pre 64 M70 35 Whelen and might be bought for the price of what it will cost you to have the Hawkeye purchased and rebored.
There are several 35 Whelens for sale at decent prices that I would consider before doing what your thinking of doing. One is a custom with a Mc gowen barrel.

If you´re looking for a heavy hitting rifle, there are several rifles on Gun Broker in .375 Ruger that would be a little less expensive than what you want.
Also, have you thought about buying a standard length action, like a Remington 700, and buying a premium barrel in .35 Whelen, and a stock, and it would cost a lot less than either buying a high priced rifle, and trying to rebore it.
Just trying to give you more options.

Hawk

Back