Dedicated Whitetail Rifle.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Don't need it. Can kill anything from whitetails on up with an 06 and I got 3, wont bother listing the others but they range from 6mm up thru 35 Remington.

BUT other than an old 250 savage I'm missing some of the middle calibers.

I have it in my head I'd like either a 6.5 X 55, a 260 Remington, or a 7mm-08.

Worked with a 6.5 CM but that's out for me. I never shot a 6.5 X 55 or a 260. Worked up loads last yr for two 7mm-08's. Was impressed with both the accuracy and mild recoil in a full sized M 700.

Will likely need to thin a few from the herd to get what I'd want. If going with a 6.5 X 55 it would likely be a CZ 557. 260 Rem would be a M 700. 7mm-08 would likely be a Win M70 featherweight or a M 700. Opinions?

Well there isn’t a wrong choice. I bought a 260 for my wife, and the recoil is amazing. I stole her rifle! 7mm-08 can shoot a bit heavier bullet if you prefer that.

I have Creedmoor and 260. Not much difference. A lot of people will tell you the CM is better for this reason or that reason, but mine both shoot 140’s just fine, and the Nos PT is almost always my pill of choice, so all the need for a super long chamber isn’t necessary for my needs. The one advantage to the Creedmoor is ammo if you like all the fancy bullets and don’t reload.

7mm-08 is probably one of the most ignored cartridges, needed a snappier name! I do think the 7mm-08 has noticeably more recoil than the 260, but my 7-08 has a short barrel model 7, so it’s hard to be sure on that.

I would lean to the 7-08, just because i prefer heavier, moderate speed bullets vs lighter faster.

2 for the 7-08 and I got dies for that from working up loads for the other 2, not that dies is a big deal.

Coop, out of those 2 rifles I worked loads for, the one was a mountain rifle, the other a full sized M 700. The mountain rifle was noticeably more recoil and jump in the bags. Just acted like a completely different rifle. Not that it was a big deal compared to a thumper, but part of the appeal of a 7-08 is it can punch hard with mild recoil. That was pushing 139 gr SST's in both.

As stated already, they are all good choices and will really depend on whether you are a 6.5mm fan or a 7mm fan.

Not enough difference between the 6.5x55, the 260 Rem and the 6.5 CM to write home about...but having owned all 3, and still own a 6.5x55 and the CM, I have to go with the grand old Swede just based on my personal history with it. Have more trigger time with this centerfire cartridge than any other. Just love it!
And like the 7mm-08, it does not get enough fanfare from most experienced hunters, and it punches way above its weight class!
I do not recall who stated it, but I do recall a magazine article from years ago that stated that the 6.5x55 was "the perfect whitetail cartridge".

I have had 6.5x55's in Rem 700 Classics and they were great rifles and very accurate.
My current rifle is a LH Sako 85 Hunter that is very accurate and a joy to carry, shoot and hunt with!
Have heard great things from those who own CZ's chambered to the Swede. If it was available in left hand, I would own one of their full stocked versions in 6.5x55. Beautiful rifles!

Blkram, can't say I'm a fan of either necessarily as I lack the experience with them. Just was impressed with the one 7mm-08 I worked with last summer both in terms of accuracy and mild recoil.

The only 6.5 experience I have was with a CM I worked with. Was accurate once I got the kinks worked out, and again with mild recoil.

However the amount of wild and mathematically impossible and incorrect claims I've heard being discussed by the public around gun tables concerning that cartridge boggles the mind. I'm out. Perhaps one day when all the hoopla dies off it will be simply enjoyed for what it is, a dandy little cartridge like the 6.5x55.

For a dedicated whitetail rifle I'd vote for the 260. I have a couple, ruger 77 and sako 85, they work great on deer, accurate, mild recoil, easy to load for.

ST,

Any one of your chosen three would be excellent for WT deer. I have shot the 7-08 quite a bit for Metallic Silhouette matches so I can tell you that it capable of delivering more than enough energy with the heavy bullets with excellent accuracy to knock over the 55 lb Rams at 500 meters (547 yards). With the right bullet, deer elk and moose would be no problem for the 7-08.
The 6.5 Creedmoor is an impressive cartridge. My wife wanted a lighter weight deer rifle so she has a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Loaded with the 129 gr ABLR, it has proven to kill deer fast! The high BC bullets shoot flat and far. She has shot her rifle, which has a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44mm, out to 800 yards.
The 260 Rem is pretty similar to the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have shot one but no experience with it. I have thought that it would be a great round in a Remington Model 7.
I also had the opportunity to shoot a 6.5x55 and thought it was a sweet heart. I do remember that being offered in the 700 Classic series and if you could find one, that would be great!
Tough call buddy, they are all good choices.

JD338

I think I like the 6.5x55 or the 7x57. Classic old cartridges that with modern loads in modern rifles offer a lot ballistically.

6mm Remington":1t6ceula said:
I think I like the 6.5x55 or the 7x57. Classic old cartridges that with modern loads in modern rifles offer a lot ballistically.

I agree. My choice is the 7x57. (y) Winchester M70 FWT.
Paul B.

"7mm-08 is probably one of the most ignored cartridges, needed a snappier name! I do think the 7mm-08 has noticeably more recoil than the 260, but my 7-08 has a short barrel model 7, so it’s hard to be sure on that."

Just a thought on that, I have a Remington 660 with 20" barrel chambered to the .308 Win. That thing literally kicked the holy living bejabbers out of me. Later got some muffs for shooting and damned if the kick didn't go away. I've had several different brands of muffs since then and some worked better than others. Muzzle blast from that rifle was a sight to see, even in mid summer at high noon you could see the 4 foot ball of fire than came from the muzzle. Spectacular as hell.
With decent hearing protection even a top load in a Ruger M77 RSI with 18.5" barrel doesn't kick all that bad. It too is chambered to the .308 Win.
Paul B.

Regarding the OP's list of cartridges, being the 7x57 Mauser nut that I am I would go with the 7-08 as my choice. It's just a more modern version of the 7x57 loaded to higher pressures than considered normal for the Mauser round, at least by the factories and most loading manuals.
Paul B.

I have a Winchester Mod 70 FWT 6.5x55 that is very mild on recoil and deadly on deer. Bought a 7mm08 last year and killed one doe so not as much experience with it but like it and plan on using more this fall. Either one not a bad choice. Dan.

I would do a 7/08 as well. Stoked with 140g NBTs I cant think of a more ideal whitetail rifle. Nothing wrong with the 6.5s either though.

The 7mm and 6.5mm are two families of cartridges I don’t have, but I have looked long and hard at 7mm WSM, 7mm-08, and 6.5 CM. For me, I’d probably take the 7mm WSM, or. Do a wildcat.. 6.5mm WSM.

On thing I consistently read on the 6.5CM is how well loads behave for this gun, and if I was picking for my wife or recoil sensitive son, I’d do the 6.5 Cm and never look back.

Honorable mention would be the 25.06. The original flat and fast medium game smasher.

If they’d want to take an elk, I’d up to the 7mm, but that’s me. I know people who harvested elk on a 25.06.

I know another who lost a moose using a 243 win. As he was a older more experienced hunter, I said nigh, but I think he was volunteering to loose a moose with that pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I will have to sort it out on what I want to do.

Some of it hinges on what I already have, and what I plan to do with it.

I have an 03 Springfield that I've kept limping along, but there's no doubt the barrel is worn out. Needs something done with it. I've contemplated making it a 25-06 or 6.5-06. Doing so would negate the need for either of my original thoughts on a new rifle.

BUT, I probably should just go ahead and turn it into a thumper like 35 Whelen. Then get what I want in one of the middle cartridges.

We live at a time when you are blessed with more cartridge possibilities than you could possibly use. And any of them will work for your intended purpose. Don't see how you can go wrong with any of those listed, including the 25-06 and the 6.5-06 you just listed.

DrMike":19ff1rx1 said:
We live at a time when you are blessed with more cartridge possibilities than you could possibly use. And any of them will work for your intended purpose. Don't see how you can go wrong with any of those listed, including the 25-06 and the 6.5-06 you just listed.

I know. Decisions, decisions.

When just messing around figuring numbers and doing some comparisons, the 25-06 really is an overlooked cartridge today. For example when using a 115 gr bullet and a top load of IMR 4350, it would have nearly identical recoil as a 6.5x55 using a light for caliber 125 gr bullet and a top load of IMR 4350, if fired from the same model/weight rifle. So close you wouldn't feel the difference.

The 25-06 would do that with more speed and likely garnering more whiz bang effects on game. Disadvantages of course would be the lack of heavy high bc bullets for really long range.

"BUT, I probably should just go ahead and turn it into a thumper like 35 Whelen. Then get what I want in one of the middle cartridges."

Now that's an idaa I would not argue against, but then I admit I'm very prejudiced in favor of the .35 Whelen. (y)
Paul B.

PJGunner":30oajl25 said:
"BUT, I probably should just go ahead and turn it into a thumper like 35 Whelen. Then get what I want in one of the middle cartridges."

Now that's an idaa I would not argue against, but then I admit I'm very prejudiced in favor of the .35 Whelen. (y)
Paul B.

Yep, dandy cartridge by all accounts. I'm usually not so indecisive, but this has had me flipping back and forth for some time now.

The problem is both the 25-06 and 35 Whelen are cartridges that aren't top of my list to run out and buy, but both I'd like to have. This would be an easy way to solve that as the Springfield barrel needs replaced anyways. But which one hasn't become clear to me yet.

Back