The Lance

Thank you very much Fotis appreciate your comment as much as you know and lover of rifles.

Nice writing Mike. I was curious if you do the Wylde 223 chamber. Or the 5.56. Any thoughts you’d share on that discussion? Could make it a new thread so this one is not derailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":2a9qvg60 said:
Nice writing Mike. I was curious if you do the Wylde 223 chamber. Or the 5.56. Any thoughts you’d share on that discussion? Could make it a new thread so this one is not derailed.

Thank you very much. When all said and done I pesonally like the 5.56 Nato round and see no need to move to .223 or Wylde .223

bullet":3ok5twqe said:
mjcmichigan":3ok5twqe said:

Thank you very much. When all said and done I pesonally like the 5.56 Nato round and see no need to move to .223 or Wylde .223
I wanted to keep it simple on mine, and wanted NATO 5.56, but when I was shopping, all the 5-56’s were 16”. I went with 22” and a 1:7 twist and a Wylde 223. It was a compromise. No regrets so far.. for me, it’s a plinker. I’ll try some of your ammo suggestions...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":2e2w94h8 said:
bullet":2e2w94h8 said:
mjcmichigan":2e2w94h8 said:

I wanted to keep it simple on mine, and wanted NATO 5.56, but when I was shopping, all the 5-56’s were 16”. I went with 22” and a 1:7 twist and a Wylde 223. It was a compromise. No regrets so far.. for me, it’s a plinker. I’ll try some of your ammo suggestions...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Gunsmith I was working with gave me an option of .223, Wylde .223 or Nato 5.56 and barrel links up to 24" I decided and as he recommended and agreed with me on 5.56 Nato. I see your reason to choose the Wylde .223 and if that is all the choice I would have had I would have done what you did.

Nice! I'm still in the process of building my AR, but it will have a Wylde chamber with a 24" 8 twist with the 75-80g ELDMs and be more designed around varmints/coyotes and LR steel. 223 is hardly a big game caliber, I have other rifles and calibers for that intended purpose.

remingtonman_25_06":h1agsw82 said:
Nice! I'm still in the process of building my AR, but it will have a Wylde chamber with a 24" 8 twist with the 75-80g ELDMs and be more designed around varmints/coyotes and LR steel. 223 is hardly a big game caliber, I have other rifles and calibers for that intended purpose.

The Wylde chamber has a significantly tighter neck dimension. It's suppose to enhance group consistency/accuracy. I don't use them on an AR15 EVER, because they consistently cause feeding problems with reloaded ammunition. Frankly, I've never seen a Wylde chamber produce any real performance advantage over a standard chamber either, at least nothing I could ever measure. Between that and the reliability problems it creates, I pretty much walked away from the Wylde chamber design a long time ago. Personally, I think it's one of those design changes that was looking for a problem to solve that never really existed. Of course this is my take on the Wylde Chamber. If you get one that will not have feeding problems with reloads that would be great. Hope yours works out.

I may have to do a little more research on that then, definitely look into it as 95% of the ammo I'll be feeding it will be my handloads. But on the rare occasion I may shoot factory 223 through it. Norma makes some really good cheap 223 55g FMJ ammo. I bought 200 rounds for $70 mainly for the brass. It shoots pretty dang good from my Ruger varmint bolt gun, 10 shots will do right at 1" at 100 yards. May just stick with the regular 223 chamber.

remingtonman_25_06":1amfcfx4 said:
I may have to do a little more research on that then, definitely look into it as 95% of the ammo I'll be feeding it will be my handloads. But on the rare occasion I may shoot factory 223 through it. Norma makes some really good cheap 223 55g FMJ ammo. I bought 200 rounds for $70 mainly for the brass. It shoots pretty dang good from my Ruger varmint bolt gun, 10 shots will do right at 1" at 100 yards. May just stick with the regular 223 chamber.

Let us know how things work out with it.

remingtonman_25_06":2ys0bqka said:

Jorey, the 77 grain Sierra TMK in a 5.56 with 25-26 grains of Leverevolution will run 2700-2800 out of a 16-18" upper and it just plain shoots. I love Hornady bullets, but their ELD's aren't made for 5.56 magazines and the BC on the Sierra is pretty good and they kill from little stuff to big stuff without drama, and again, they are EASY accurate.

I wouldn't give a hoot about the Wylde chamber myself. Any decent upper is going to shoot and if you require more a few wrench turns and you can spin on a really great barrel. 1-7 twist for the win as well!

bullet":doh3u375 said:
remingtonman_25_06":doh3u375 said:

Let us know how things work out with it.

remingtonman I will let you know how it does and works out.

Back