Ruger Hawkeye 9.3x62

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
So I had a long action Hawkeye with a McMillan stock in 280 Remington, I kinda had a hankering to try a 9.3x62 so I sent it off to JES to have it rebored/rechambered with a 1-10 twist, 3 groove barrel.

The 9.3 has a million miles of freebore to accommodate the old RN bullets that were used and 250 Accubonds were loaded to fit and funtion in the magazine. Anyhow, I decided to try Barsness load with RL15 and 250 Accubonds.

I loaded up 58, 59, 60 and 61. I didn't get to the 61 grain charge, and 58 and 59 were roughly around 1.25".

Here is 60... I tossed shot number 4 and decided to see if I could redeem myself..

Pretty neat cartridge. No idea on speeds yet, but I'll check them eventually. I am guessing its around 2600 FPS or so though going off of others data.

Nice! With that bullet and accuracy, I don't think I would be concerned with the velocity other than just to know what it is. It's going to be a big game thumper.

JD338

The thing that totally sux about having all these great elk gun is picking one for the job before hunting season. Drives me crazy!

Great shooting Scott.

That is the exact load I worked up in my friend's CZ 550 10 years ago or so. Same results too.

Scotty that's almost blasphemy to rechamber/retire a 280 Remington, but I'll let it slip this time. That's a neat cartridge and those Ruger 77's sure are great rifles. I always wonder why they don't get more love. Essentially a Mauser 98 action controlled round feed with a stout foolproof scope mounting system. Nice shooting. What was the distance, 50 yards? Just kidding.

Wow! Very nice.

Best use I've ever seen for a .280 barrel. ;)

KIDDING all you 280 fanatics!

Guy

The 9.3X62 is a great cartridge that is surely underrated this side of the pond. With that 250 grain bullet, and especially with it giving you that performance, there isn't much that will stand up to what you are delivering. Great work, Scotty.

Holy cow! That’s great!

Real great, now I’ve gotta talk myself out of a 9.3x62!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty neat, definitely an under rated cartridge in the US. Doesnt Ruger make the Hawkeye in a 35 Whelan these days? I've kind of always wanted one of them for a medium range thumper myself. I've always decent luck the Ruger 77s, never had a bad shooting one anyway. All would do at least 1 MOA or better with handloads.

That looks really good so far Scotty. Always thought the 9.3x62 was a cool round and a real thumper.

My lh Sako 85 Hunter in 9.3x62 likes the Nosler 250gr AB ammo (just a hair over 1/2" groups). Love how it shoots! Will definitely be carried for elk, moose and bear!
I will have to try that load of 60 gr of Re-15 with the 250gr AB; Thanks for the info!

remingtonman_25_06":5874tr7z said:
That's pretty neat, definitely an under rated cartridge in the US. Doesnt Ruger make the Hawkeye in a 35 Whelan these days? I've kind of always wanted one of them for a medium range thumper myself. I've always decent luck the Ruger 77s, never had a bad shooting one anyway. All would do at least 1 MOA or better with handloads.

They’ve chambered both cartridges a few times. I’m pretty sure you can get their African model right now at most places. I’m not sure when they made a run of Whelens.

The easy button is a cheap 270 or 30-06 and send it off to get it rebored. After having a few done at this point I’ve had nothing but excellent results from JES and being able to get the twist you want doesn’t stink.

Great shooting Scotty! A thumper with accuracy. Not much of anything would stand up to that.

Sweet! I'm sure JES kept the chamber dimensions pretty tight also, shouldn't have any issues with that sloping shoulder. My only custom (rebarreled M70 FWT) barrel 9.3x62 had good specs. The CZ 550 FS I gave my SIL is a tad sloppy and was a Mod 77 African. Both were easily fixed with fireforming brass of course. Only game I've seen killed with the 9.3x62 was with my SIL on a big sow, about 25yds away. The 286 TSX did a number! A young man I gave the Mod 70 to killed a big spike elk with my Nosler 286PT handloads, had to shoot through a screen of small aspens. Plowed right through! Have a ball pard!

Interesting to see that the 9,3x62 is catching hold over there! 115 years old but still not old.
A well designed cartridges that got a second life with new bullets and powders.

I like it since recoil is more like a solid push than a hard hit.

Only loaded for and shot friend's rifles, but I think it will stay for some more years

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Interesting read and great results. Had to hit the internet to learn some more after seeing your post. What pushed you into choosing that one to work with? What is the OAL you came up with and how much jump are you giving the Accubonds to get them to shoot so well? Any issues finding brass?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alderman":1x69loyt said:
Interesting read and great results. Had to hit the internet to learn some more after seeing your post. What pushed you into choosing that one to work with? What is the OAL you came up with and how much jump are you giving the Accubonds to get them to shoot so well? Any issues finding brass?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest, I have loved the 35 Whelen for years now and really like the medium sized bore's on the 06 sorta case. They seem to be super accurate. I had a Ruger that I wasn't really in love with as a 280 that I thought was too heavy as a 280, so it was a quick trip to JES and the reduction in the weight from the rebore on top of I don't mind a little more weight for a heavier caliber worked out excellent. It goes 8lbs on the nose as it sits with a 6x36 right now in the McMillan stock.

So I have no clue how much jump I am giving the Accubonds right now. I tried seating a bullet just enough to measure to the lands and I wasn't even close. In my rifle the bullet wouldn't even be in the case to touch the rifling. I suspect its cause it was made for 286 RN bullets way back when, so pointed spitzers are a mile off the lands, doesn't matter as the throat seems straight at it shoots.

No issues at all with brass. Lotsa great brass out there, Lapua, Prvi, Hornady, etc. It's pretty much priced about the same as anything else that case size as well.

I do think the brass is a touch short in the shoulder for my chamber since I have gotten a few misfires. They have all fired on the second cocking though. So I suspect it is either weak firing pin spring which I will replace with a CS Tubbs unit, but I will also check the fired cases and see what the difference is the next time I resize some brass.

I do wished I would have gotten more of the 250 Accubonds when they were at SPS though. I think they were less than 20 bucks per 50 and seeing how well they shoot I could probably just load and shoot them and be extremely happy. Might try some of the 250 TTSX's though if I get a chance.

Well, I just got back to this today. I had loaded the remainder of my unfired cases with the 60 grains of RL15 and decided to have a whirl at distance with the rifle. Looking at the ballistics ap, I kinda guessed I am around 2600 FPS, So with a 225 yard zero on the main crosshair my first dot in the 6x36 would be on at 300 and a couple inches low 400 using the 2nd dot. Well, I forgot my rangefinder so I just laid down at the 200 yard line and starting hammering away.

First group was a little low and left, adjusted the scope and shot the next one. Pretty much on the money with the 6x36. I knew I needed to be about 1.5” high at 200, so I added 4 clicks and moved back to 400.

I didn’t measure it but it’s roughly around 5” I’d guess, but it was about where it was supposed to be. The dots leave a little to be desired shooting paper but their great for hunting so I deal with it.

After I got it where I wanted it I hammered my steel at 400. Talk about fun, I was alternating between my 300 RUM, 7 Mashburn, 30-06 and to be honest it wasn’t any harder to hit with the big 9.3 as it was with any of the others. Pretty darned good shooting rifle for a fairly inexpensive rebore.

I think I’ll run it over the chrono and maybe check and see where I’m at in regards to a node but what I’d use this rifle for it’s entirely elk worthy to 400 yards and I’d have to think it’d pound one.

Great work Scotty, that's going to work just fine for elk or any other big animal you go after.

Oh, yeah, that'll do. Looks as if you have another shooter on your hands!

Back