Memory rifles

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I’ve got more memories with the 30-06 than with any other cartridge.

The top one was the first hunting rifle I purchased - a post 64 that has plenty of wear on it. After sighting this in 46 years ago I’ve yet to have to make an adjustment. This after many falls and a flight down a canyon and landing scope first on a stump.

The middle one is one my Father purchased for his collection. He asked me if I were going to get a rifle, what would I get? Winchester stainless 70 in 06. This showed up in his collection shortly after and I was fortunate to inherit it after his passing. I’ve used it on deer, elk and antelope.

The bottom is a pre 64 I was lucky to get from a fellow member. Waiting on some hardware to mount a scope.
Special meaning as it is similar to rifle my Dad hunter Blacktail deer with for many years. Looking forward to making some noise with this.

If I were forced to only have one rifle, the stainless 06 would be the one as I can do all I need to do with that one.
d6e5df705beceefe4b732deb6c89b853.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is an 1894 Winchester in 30 WCF (30-30) carbine complete with saddle ring and express sights. Based on the serial number I'm guessing it was made in January 1911, As close as it is to the starting number for 1911 it could have been made in the first week of that year. Its biggest claim to fame is I used it to take my very first deer at age 11. It was one the Labor Day weekend in 1949.

It originally was my Great grandfather's gun that he used when working as a sheepherder in Nevada. He gave it to my Grandfather as a wedding present, My dad got it when my Grandfather passed and later on gave it to me. I still load up a few cast bullet rounds and take it to the range for R&R.
Paul B.

Alderman":1ymxodey said:
I’ve got more memories with the 30-06 than with any other cartridge.

The top one was the first hunting rifle I purchased - a post 64 that has plenty of wear on it. After sighting this in 46 years ago I’ve yet to have to make an adjustment. This after many falls and a flight down a canyon and landing scope first on a stump.

The middle one is one my Father purchased for his collection. He asked me if I were going to get a rifle, what would I get? Winchester stainless 70 in 06. This showed up in his collection shortly after and I was fortunate to inherit it after his passing. I’ve used it on deer, elk and antelope.

The bottom is a pre 64 I was lucky to get from a fellow member. Waiting on some hardware to mount a scope.
Special meaning as it is similar to rifle my Dad hunter Blacktail deer with for many years. Looking forward to making some noise with this.

If I were forced to only have one rifle, the stainless 06 would be the one as I can do all I need to do with that one.
d6e5df705beceefe4b732deb6c89b853.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I was too slow on the draw for the P64 Alderman! Looking forward to seeing you put some rounds through it!

The model 70 is a great rifle. I was given my grandfathers 1903 a3 years after he died. I can definitly agree to your statement of not having to rezero, after years of use. I like the model 70. I was also given my dad's model 88. Both rifles have taken deer. Thankfully, tracking was not necessary. I have noticed that most shooting errors are the main cause for inaccuracy.

Back