Christensen Arms Mesa LH 7 mm Rem Mag

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Those of you that have them how do you like them?

A dealer here is stocking left hand versions of the Mesa including the 28 Nosler and also 7 mm Rem Mag, the latter must be part of a special order for them since it's not listed as a LH option on Christensen Arms website. The 7 mm RM looks like the better choice, not to far off of what the 28 Nosler can do and much better priced brass.

I guess I'll be the the guinea pig then. It turns out they have them still coming in and should be there in a month or so, so I put a down payment to reserve one. Since I'm all set up for the 7 mm Rem Mag and seeing how much Nosler brass costs for the 28 Nosler here I went with the 7 mm RM. Been a long time coming but I'm glad to have done the research and ended up with this. Originally I was looking at a 6.5 PRC but I have other rifles in that power range so went up a notch to the 7 mm RM instead.

Left hand Mesa in 7 mm Rem Mag
Burnt Bronze colour.

50141371763_c6efca2c1b_c.jpg

Yep which is why when we get the chance to get a rifle we like it's best to buy it before they disappear. I believe the 28 Nosler has a 26" barrel while the 7 mm RM gets a 24" which suits me just fine. Have to say I thought pretty hard about the 300 PRC but in the end it was more gun than I wanted. The 300 PRC is a hammer though and the brass cost isn't too bad. Shooting 212's at 2860 fps is going to hurt something but I'm happy with the 7 mm 160's at 3000+ still going to work well for moose down to deer.

Gerry,

Congrats on the beginning of a new rifle. 7mm Rem Mag is a good all around cartridge. And you are right, a 160 gr PT at 3000+ fps will kill anything in NA. RL22 is a great powder in the 7 RM.

JD338

I have some 154 gr Hornady Spire Points, 160 gr Accubonds and 160 gr Trophy Bonded Tipped to try left over from my old gun. Magnum and IMR 7977 hopefully will get me where I want to go. I'm sure I'll try other combinations in the future.

I wouldve went the 7 RM route as well. They usually shoot 1/2 MOA without much hassle. They don't set the Noslers up right from the factory, to much freebore, they usually only shoot MOA. Set up around 5 Christiansons in 7 RM and 300 WM and they were all easy 1/2 MOA.

Not enough difference in a 300 PRC for me to justify getting one over the plain Jane 300 win mag. Just something new to sell guns and ammo is all, like usual... 300 win mag will do 2900fps with 200g bullets so to me, not worth it anyway.

remingtonman_25_06":p8djnnw2 said:
I wouldve went the 7 RM route as well. They usually shoot 1/2 MOA without much hassle. They don't set the Noslers up right from the factory, to much freebore, they usually only shoot MOA. Set up around 5 Christiansons in 7 RM and 300 WM and they were all easy 1/2 MOA.

Sure like the sounds of that, a really good chance this one will be just as good. Looking at the listed features they have a lot of quality components and it looks to be put together very well.

https://christensenarms.com/mesa/

I'm very interested in the stock, they seem to be on par with McMillan and Manners. A bunch of high end rifles feature their stocks and it looks like that's what they are using on these.

https://www.agcomposites.com/stock/3/ag ... errain-cat

I had a 300 RUM in a Ridgeline. Pretty nice rifle really. It shot real well and I had no complaints about the stock other than being a bit too short for me.

7Mag will be a wonderful rifle. Wonder if the leupold custom shop still does custom colors. They used to do a tan or dark earth or something like that. Cool looking as is . Enjoy! CL

While you will get very good performance with the 160gr ABin the 7mm Rem Mag, I also had very good performance with the Federal Premium 165gr SGK ammunition in my 7 Mag. The new 165gr Gamechanger should also be a great performer here.
Look forward to hearing how it performs for you!

Gun arrived today and looks pretty nice. Might be a bit before I can get out and shoot it but I'll check in again when I do.

I'll be interested in seeing how you make out with your new rifle . I do like the burnt bronze color .

Gerry - a young fellow I know here has a 7mm RM Christensen Arms - I don't know which model. We've shot together out to 600 yards. It does GREAT.

Almost as good as my 308... He he he.... :wink:

Enjoy the new rifle, it should work out well for you!

Guy

Thanks Guys.

I've seen what your Green Machine can do so I'll be happy if it does "almost" as good as you and it :lol:

Guy Miner":38rp37ur said:
Gerry - a young fellow I know here has a 7mm RM Christensen Arms - I don't know which model. We've shot together out to 600 yards. It does GREAT.

Almost as good as my 308... He he he.... :wink:

Enjoy the new rifle, it should work out well for you!

Guy

Congrats Gerry :wink: I am looking forward to your load development with photos :mrgreen: for that 7mm mag. I have loaded for that calibre for many years and have always had great success with accuracy and terminal performance using the 160gr. AB. I use IMR 4350 and RL22, both powders are right around that 3000fps mark with a .5moa when the shooter is on.
What glass are you going to be putting on top of her?
Are planning on taking her with your 35 Whelen on this upcoming Moose Hunt?

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dan, it's going to be a while before I can get out to shoot it but that's fine, pretty busy these days. For the time being it's getting my old Leupold 8x40 M8 scope, in time I'll get a "long range" scope for it.

Yes I'm taking the 35 Whelen for the moose hunt and the BLR in 358 Win as the back up. Going to be gone for two weeks. Using the 225 gr AccuBond, just finalising the powder and load. H 4895 and RL 15 both are doing well, just need to pick one and go with it. The 358 Win load is RL 10x and the 200 gr AccuBond.

gerry":1ac02756 said:
Thanks Dan, it's going to be a while before I can get out to shoot it but that's fine, pretty busy these days. For the time being it's getting my old Leupold 8x40 M8 scope, in time I'll get a "long range" scope for it.

Yes I'm taking the 35 Whelen for the moose hunt and the BLR in 358 Win as the back up. Going to be gone for two weeks. Using the 225 gr AccuBond, just finalising the powder and load. H 4895 and RL 15 both are doing well, just need to pick one and go with it. The 358 Win load is RL 10x and the 200 gr AccuBond.

I like it. Both big animal smackers!

Back