Model 70 Glass Bedding Question

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
I need to bed my M70, and have a quick question for the hive mind. The rifle has been shooting two separate groups, but with the Pac-Nor barrel it should be shooting tiny little holes. Should I bed the entire action in the stock or just the front and rear?

I already pulled all the nasty crap from Winchester out of there and started the dremel work, just wondering how far to go with the prep.

Thanks

That's gonna be an answer that is strictly a matter of opinion. I prefer front and rear but only because it's simpler and has gotten the results I'm after. That in no way implies it's better. Other people will swear by full length bedding.

Dumb question maybe, but you did verify it wasn't the scope? That can happen with a scope that isn't holding zero and the crosshairs jump back and forth between 2 points under recoil.

The scope has always been solid, and I had it on a 300 Wby before this, and that rifle always shot little bug holes. Of course, I didn't remove it and try another, but did confirm everything was snug.

At this point, bedding is must, since I already hogged out the stock :)

Read up on bedding Mauser actions if you haven’t already. It isn’t for the faint of heart to do it correctly. There are a lot of surfaces perpendicular (for lack of a better word) to the recoil path on the Mausers that transfer over to the model 70 design that need to have clearance. Only the recoil lug should act as the recoil lug is what I’m trying to say.

Maybe you’re an old pro at these and if so please disregard.

gbflyer":3sfltmvo said:
Read up on bedding Mauser actions if you haven’t already. It isn’t for the faint of heart to do it correctly. There are a lot of surfaces perpendicular (for lack of a better word) to the recoil path on the Mausers that transfer over to the model 70 design that need to have clearance. Only the recoil lug should act as the recoil lug is what I’m trying to say.

Maybe you’re an old pro at these and if so please disregard.

Yep couldn't agree more. I have a Mauser here now that needs a bedding job that I've been putting off and actually was figuring I need to get started on this week.

Not because I'm afraid to do so, done them before with good results. But because I know how involved it is. Details matter, including final prep work prior to bedding, and cleanup after.

I'll do some reading. I am still waiting on the pilot for the pillar cutter. Not worried about the complexity...it has to be done. Not my first bedding job either, just my first M70.

5shot":2p78zlr4 said:
The scope has always been solid, and I had it on a 300 Wby before this, and that rifle always shot little bug holes. Of course, I didn't remove it and try another, but did confirm everything was snug.

At this point, bedding is must, since I already hogged out the stock :)

Well I did say this might be a dumb question. :lol:

If you've done bedding jobs before you'll be fine, M70 isn't much different than a lot of other actions unless all you've done before was M700's.

I did some reading, and I am only going to bed the lug and the tang. I'll install pillars first, then bed the action. Hopefully this will correct the issues I am seeing. Next time out I'll take a second scope though!

Just wanted to update this one. Bedding was successful and I am now getting groups instead of patterns. The shot at 9:00 was prior to the first scope adjustment, which then resulted in the 3 shot group in the center. It measured just under 1". Made one more adjustment and hit dead center 1.75" high.

I did not do any load testing this time, as I wanted to see if the bedding was worth the effort. I am still a few grains below max, so I'll try a few more increments next time out.

50257573992_2e5809630f_b.jpg

5shot":1n6n9enw said:
I did some reading, and I am only going to bed the lug and the tang. I'll install pillars first, then bed the action. Hopefully this will correct the issues I am seeing. Next time out I'll take a second scope though!

This X 2!

IT's what I do for all my 70's and they are scary accurate and consistent.

6mm Remington":3b8ifj85 said:
Nice job I would say. What caliber, load, and bullet are you working with?

35 Whelen Ackley Improved. 250 Grain Speer and NPTs on top of CFE223. Estimated velocity in the neighborhood fo 2600fps.

5shot":2suboyrl said:
6mm Remington":2suboyrl said:
Nice job I would say. What caliber, load, and bullet are you working with?

35 Whelen Ackley Improved. 250 Grain Speer and NPTs on top of CFE223. Estimated velocity in the neighborhood fo 2600fps.

That’s a heckuva good load. One of my all time favorites really. It’ll pound an elk.

I've got a couple more grains before max with this load, so it might tighten up. The factory bedding was total garbage.

5shot":emtb5m7c said:
I've got a couple more grains before max with this load, so it might tighten up. The factory bedding was total garbage.

15 has worked the same in my plain jane Whelens a few times. As the charge gets higher the groups tended to tighten up.

Back