I'm going to get a .30-06

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I'm going to purchase a .30-06, and put my prejudices aside, and actually try out the old girl, and give it an honest chance. I have $400 - $500 to spend.
My quandary is this, I have an opportunity to buy a brand new S&W i-Bolt in .30-06. I've done my homework, and this was the predecessor to the TV Venture. It was made by Thompson Center, and S&W stamped their logo on it.
Next up, I have spied an old Remington Sportsman 78 in .30-06 for a very good price.
Then there is the TC Venture .30-06 that I can buy for a decent price as well.
I am open to suggestions as well.
I trust all of you and will use your opinions, and experience to make a choice.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

If that Remington Sportsman 78 is in good shape that's the one I would choose. They were made when Remington was still at the top of their game and were just a less polished gun than their more expensive firearms, just as accurate though. I had one which was great but being a lefty I eventually got a BDL in 30-06. Wish I still had both guns.

gerry":2af7slcq said:
If that Remington Sportsman 78 is in good shape that's the one I would choose. They were made when Remington was still at the top of their game and were just a less polished gun than their more expensive firearms, just as accurate though. I had one which was great but being a lefty I eventually got a BDL in 30-06. Wish I still had both guns.
That's great news to hear! I was hoping they were as well made as the ADL's and BDL's of that day.
That would leave enough room for me to get a decent scope as well.
Thank you for your input. I greatly appreciate it!

Hawk

If you do get it there are endless options for aftermarket parts for a Rem 700 which the others don't have. They also made the no frills Sportsman 76 pump action and 74 autoloader, If you find one of the pumps they would be good too, that's one I'm interested in being somewhat lefty friendly.

gerry":2e0celw4 said:
If you do get it there are endless options for aftermarket parts for a Rem 700 which the others don't have. They also made the no frills Sportsman 76 pump action and 74 autoloader, If you find one of the pumps they would be good too, that's one I'm interested in being somewhat lefty friendly.
I have been wondering about the 76, and 7600 series myself.
I haven't heard much about them. Aren't they prone to extraction problems?

Hawk

Based on the 7600 35 Whelen I had (should have kept that one too, kind of a theme here lol) you need to keep the chamber clean and not hot rod it either and you would be good.

gerry":1n2ip3k5 said:
Based on the 7600 35 Whelen I had (should have kept that one too, kind of a theme here lol) you need to keep the chamber clean and not hot rod it either and you would be good.
Good to know!
Thank you!

Hawk

So many good options when it comes to 06's if you're not in a hurry to wait for good prices. Model 70's, 700's Ruger 77's, you name it. Not long ago there was a real nice shape tang safety M77 in 06 at a local shop for $400. Can't beat that with a stick but I got enough 06's right now.

ShadeTree":3uyngj0i said:
So many good options when it comes to 06's if you're not in a hurry to wait for good prices. Model 70's, 700's Ruger 77's, you name it. Not long ago there was a real nice shape tang safety M77 in 06 at a local shop for $400. Can't beat that with a stick but I got enough 06's right now.
This is true.
I saw a Ruger Hawkeye Stainless for $400, and several PF Win 70's around that price too.
The Rem 700's are fetching premium prices nowadays.

Hawk

Personally I'd get a TC Compass and call it a day.

or a ruger american

FOTIS":2ne9yzm1 said:

or a ruger american
I have been thinking about either of those as well.

Fotis, the S&W i-Bolt is almost like the TC Compass, and I can get that for $40 less than a Compass. It's made by TC. Any thoughts on that?

Hawk

gerry":227btk2e said:

Same here, M78 all the way. Long magazine box and the ability to use M700 parts and pieces.

HAWKEYESATX":2fky8fwv said:
gerry":2fky8fwv said:

Hawk

The 7600's are AWESOME rifles in my opinion Hawk. Never had a lick of trouble with extraction between a pretty good brace of them. Matter of fact I have an older 760 270 Win I am debating sending to JES to make into another woods thumper.

I run full pressure stuff through my 280 and 35 Whelen. Same stuff I'd use in a bolt gun without drama.

SJB358":2j3ef1hg said:
HAWKEYESATX":2j3ef1hg said:
gerry":2j3ef1hg said:

Hawk

The 7600's are AWESOME rifles in my opinion Hawk. Never had a lick of trouble with extraction between a pretty good brace of them. Matter of fact I have an older 760 270 Win I am debating sending to JES to make into another woods thumper.

I run full pressure stuff through my 280 and 35 Whelen. Same stuff I'd use in a bolt gun without drama.

Agree wholeheartedly Scotty on both the 7600's and the 760's. The very early 760's a person might want to run below full tilt, but I'm just basing that off age factor, never heard of any problems from people running full pressure loads in 270's, 308's, and 06's. They will handle anything a bolt action will.

760's used 14 smaller locking lugs, 7600's use 4 large locking lugs. Remington says the 4 large lugs are stronger, but of course they're not going to say their new model is weaker. Certainly easier to machine 4 verses 14. Both work well and are quite strong.

ShadeTree":1sb09u8r said:
SJB358":1sb09u8r said:
HAWKEYESATX":1sb09u8r said:
gerry":1sb09u8r said:

Hawk

Agree wholeheartedly Scotty on both the 7600's and the 760's. The very early 760's a person might want to run below full tilt, but I'm just basing that off age factor, never heard of any problems from people running full pressure loads in 270's, 308's, and 06's. They will handle anything a bolt action will.

760's used 14 smaller locking lugs, 7600's use 4 large locking lugs. Remington says the 4 large lugs are stronger, but of course they're not going to say their new model is weaker. Certainly easier to machine 4 verses 14. Both work well and are quite strong.
How's the accuracy on the 7600's?
It's good to know that the 7600 series can handle the pressures that the 06 should be shot.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":2hzr7dlt said:
FOTIS":2hzr7dlt said:

or a ruger american
I have been thinking about either of those as well.

Fotis, the S&W i-Bolt is almost like the TC Compass, and I can get that for $40 less than a Compass. It's made by TC. Any thoughts on that?

Hawk

Go for it. I'm sure they will shoot well

Here you go New in Box

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876927421

HAWKEYESATX":2szb0v51 said:
It's good to know that the 7600 series can handle the pressures that the 06 should be shot.

Hawk

My 35 whelen

cAy0m1e.jpg

2DG9H5B.jpg

FOTIS":2bjvdz0f said:
HAWKEYESATX":2bjvdz0f said:

Hawk

My 35 whelen

cAy0m1e.jpg

2DG9H5B.jpg
Yup! Can say that the 760 & 7600 are quite accurate!

How about an Interarms Mark X ? Anyone with experience can chime in.

Hawk

Hawke,

Interarms, Zastavia, Howa 1500, they're all good rifles. So many good options when looking for an 06. Close your eyes and pick one and you can find it in an 06 for very reasonable money. Just another benefit of the great 06 cartridge.

Far as 760/7600's, my experience matches Fotis. If the barrel is right, the design is made to shoot good to really good. The receiver and the barrel are not confined to any stock material that might cause interference with accuracy.

This was an early 80's 6mm I had here that I worked on for a buddy. The work just amounted to a good cleaning of the barrel and removing carbon and some rust in the chamber and neck area. Once that was taken care of it was an easy repeatable under 3/4" gun with this load.

ShadeTree":unhbjzue said:
Hawke,

Interarms, Zastavia, Howa 1500, they're all good rifles. So many good options when looking for an 06. Close your eyes and pick one and you can find it in an 06 for very reasonable money. Just another benefit of the great 06 cartridge.

Far as 760/7600's, my experience matches Fotis. If the barrel is right, the design is made to shoot good to really good. The receiver and the barrel are not confined to any stock material that might cause interference with accuracy.

This was an early 80's 6mm I had here that I worked on for a buddy. The work just amounted to a good cleaning of the barrel and removing carbon and some rust in the chamber and neck area. Once that was taken care of it was an easy repeatable under 3/4" gun with this load.

Wow! That's great accuracy!
Ah ok, I had been wondering a long time about Interarms, and Howa.

Hawk

Back