Remington 760 testing.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Picked this rifle up in 35 Remington maybe 2 wks ago. Finally got it broke down and all cleaned up and put back together. Got rid of the see thru mounts that were on it and stuck a standard low profile flat bar mount for the 760 on it.

Didn't come up with the scope I want for it yet so I have a 03 Springfield not seeing much use these days that came with a Leupold Vari X II 3x9 on it so I switched that over to this gun for now.

I got gobs of Remington factory ammo I bought in a box lot, so I grabbed a box of that to test it out. Shot a couple at 50 yds to foul the bore and get the scope dialed in somewhat close, then moved to 100.

4 shot group is inch and 1/8, 5 shot measured 1.5", right out of the gate with factory ammo. I like these set-ups, and me and this rifle are gonna get along just fine I believe.

You have a winner in that fine rifle. Shooting factory ammo that well equates to a continued harvest of game.

Man, that is too cool! I dig that rifle too! Those old 760's are keepers!

Great shooting ST.

Thanks fella's. I liked it when I got it especially in 35 Remington, and am happy with it now that I got to test it out.

I was thinking of pulling bullets on some of that factory ammo and rolling my own, but it's shooting more than adequate for my needs at the ranges I'll shoot this rifle so I guess I'll keep life simple for now and shoot the factory as is.

ShadeTree":1sog8oms said:
Thanks fella's. I liked it when I got it especially in 35 Remington, and am happy with it now that I got to test it out.

I was thinking of pulling bullets on some of that factory ammo and rolling my own, but it's shooting more than adequate for my needs at the ranges I'll shoot this rifle so I guess I'll keep life simple for now and shoot the factory as is.

Yeah, pretty tough to monkey with something that shoots like that..

My hunting partner still has his Dad's 06 in the 760 :wink:, his Nick name was Buck for 35 years were bantered back and forth about the 06 calibre :lol:.
Anyways Buck passed away in the mid 1990s and shortly after his death I was asked go out with depredation tags as there was a over population of Mule deer in a zone south of my home.
I asked Doug if I could use his Dad's rifle out of remembrance, I shot close to a 60 mulies in that week. We field dressed them, they were given to seniors homes and the food banks here in Saskatchewan.
That rifle was likely close to 50 years old when I used it and it didn't miss a beat (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2x1toxlf said:
My hunting partner still has his Dad's 06 in the 760 :wink:, his Nick name was Buck for 35 years were bantered back and forth about the 06 calibre :lol:.
Anyways Buck passed away in the mid 1990s and shortly after his death I was asked go out with depredation tags as there was a over population of Mule deer in a zone south of my home.
I asked Doug if I could use his Dad's rifle out of remembrance, I shot close to a 60 mulies in that week. We field dressed them, they were given to seniors homes and the food banks here in Saskatchewan.
That rifle was likely close to 50 years old when I used it and it didn't miss a beat (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I've got an old 760 at home in 270 Win that I wanna make into something cool. Been mulling over a 338-06, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62... Not sure which way to roll. 375-06 might be fun too..

SJB358":1loycfxw said:
sask boy":1loycfxw said:
My hunting partner still has his Dad's 06 in the 760 :wink:, his Nick name was Buck for 35 years were bantered back and forth about the 06 calibre [emoji38].

Blessings,
Dan

I've got an old 760 at home in 270 Win that I wanna make into something cool. Been mulling over a 338-06, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62... Not sure which way to roll. 375-06 might be fun too..
That's a really cool rifle!
Man! And it groups that well too! WOW!
That's a keeper!

I have a friend who swears by his Model 14 in .35 Rem!

Gotta love 'em!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

375hh1973":1tr7lpwa said:
Cool rifle!

Any idea when it was made?

Thanks. Yeah made in 1979. They didn't make a ton of them period, but in 760's they offered 35 Remington's as 1 of the chamberings from the 1'st yr of 1952 up thru 1967. Then bought them back for 1 yr only in 1979.

For scoped rifles I prefer the later yrs verses the early 760's. Fit me better. They came drilled and tapped, and with a higher stock to accommodate shooting with a scope.

HAWKEYESATX":23ebpiel said:
SJB358":23ebpiel said:
sask boy":23ebpiel said:
My hunting partner still has his Dad's 06 in the 760 :wink:, his Nick name was Buck for 35 years were bantered back and forth about the 06 calibre [emoji38].

Blessings,
Dan

That's a really cool rifle!
Man! And it groups that well too! WOW!
That's a keeper!

I have a friend who swears by his Model 14 in .35 Rem!

Gotta love 'em!

Hawk

14's are cool rifles. The preceding model to the 141, which was the predecessor to the completely redesigned 760.

14's and 141's would cost thousand's of dollars to manufacture today. All milled parts and intricate engineering.

This 760 is way more user friendly because of the scope, but I have a 141 in 35 Remington with a Lyman flip up tang mounted peep sight. At ranges where my eyes still work okay, it's a SHOOTER.

Enviable group, for sure. Man, shooting over iron is a challenge for me.

Nobody can say that the 141 isn't accurate!
Look at that group! Wow!

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":fqzc9vux said:
Nobody can say that the 141 isn't accurate!
Look at that group! Wow!

Hawk

It does shoot, especially for it being handicapped by me shooting it with iron sights. That's the best group I've shot with it, but by no means a 1 off on its accuracy. 3/4" to some under 1/2" is not too difficult a task with it at 50yds if I'm on my game.

The 760's are a simpler made rifle with a design that works very well and will handle top bolt action pressures using modern cartridges. They're good guns in my view, I'm tickled with this one and can see it becoming 1 of my bread and butter rifles.

But the 14's and 141's are high quality made rifles and in a cartridge like the 35 Remington are darn near national treasures. I'm an old gun junkie. :lol:

The man owns a 141 that shoots like that AND a 250 Savage that shoots almost as well. Yup- doin alright! The 760 looks to be a legit "killer too! CL

cloverleaf":zd78bab5 said:
The man owns a 141 that shoots like that AND a 250 Savage that shoots almost as well. Yup- doin alright! The 760 looks to be a legit "killer too! CL

Ha. Yes I have been blessed to stumble across a couple of shooters in my line up. But personally I'd say that 250 shoots just as well. Day in and day out it hangs right with this one.

Personal best I have with that is under 3/8" at 50, but with iron sights getting down to those sized groups, it starts to get irrelevant as to which gun shoots better. Groups under 1/2" at 50yds with irons, I feel some luck starts to enter in of final group size in my case. I certainly can't see better than that.

Both will split either side of a squirrels eyeball at 50 if this nut behind the trigger has everything lined up properly when the powder ignites. :lol:

Nice find ShadeTree. Remington 200gr factory loads are accurate but not a real barn burner. Still gets the job done. Pick up a box of Hornaday Levers 200gr flextip. They group under an inch in mine and give great performance on whitetails. Makes the 35 Rem a 200 yd rifle. Dan.

ShadeTree":zogjq5sf said:
cloverleaf":zogjq5sf said:

Ha. Yes I have been blessed to stumble across a couple of shooters in my line up. But personally I'd say that 250 shoots just as well. Day in and day out it hangs right with this one.

Personal best I have with that is under 3/8" at 50, but with iron sights getting down to those sized groups, it starts to get irrelevant as to which gun shoots better. Groups under 1/2" at 50yds with irons, I feel some luck starts to enter in of final group size in my case. I certainly can't see better than that.

Both will split either side of a squirrels eyeball at 50 if this nut behind the trigger has everything lined up properly when the powder ignites. :lol:

I thought so, glad to hear it, but I knew fi I bragged on the 250 too much, everyone would just think I was a "biased opinion". :) Nice shooting, please continue to have fun... :) CL

Back