1895M XLR

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Got out to the range to sight in and run some rounds over the chrono

96vyftF.jpg

This is the factory 325gr FTX at 50yds.

Avg - 2106fps

WOW! That is GOOD stuff right there Boomer! Danged nice shooting buddy!

452f5798f7504e5c69176e99244481c9.jpg

Here she is. Going out again this weekend and will shoot some groups at 100yds. Will try some reloads as well.

Boomer68,

Beautiful rifle ang some nice shooting as well.
Take a look at the Nosler 300 gr BST and H322 powder.
This combo shoots lights out in my Marlin 1895G.

JD338

It doesn’t get much better than that. You a have a great load right there, congratulations

Great looking rifle & group!

I've been pleased that so many here on the Nosler forum enjoy lever action rifles. Kinda cool.

Guy

Its a shame they stopped making that model. I have a friend that has the the 336XLR in 30-30 and it turns in some impressive accuracy and surprising velocities with the leverevolution 140gr monoflex. His rifle is moa or a little better and runs about 40-50 fps higher than listed velocities with that load. He smacks several white tails with it every year.

I have one in 30-30 but found it very unwieldy. I cut it to 21"....just to be different.

T6tbgqCl.jpg

compared to a 358 BLR

MYxrx9Ol.jpg

Thanks guys. Yes, they are very nice rifles and always seem to consistently shoot well. Going to be a toss up to see which one will get the nod for deer this season. My old 444SS is equally accurate and ready for action.

Just a followup. Shot some 100yd groups and very impressed to say the least.

This is the factory 325gr FTX

0L8Q4V3.jpg

This is a handload using the Hornady 350gr RN
58grs H322
CCI200
Avg - 2202fps

og18m3e.jpg

EmAWrLS.jpg

Impressive shooting across the board. If you do end up using it, I'd love to hear about effect, though I expect it will be a short story.

Thanks. I’m on the fence if I want to use the factory ammo or the handload for this season. Decisions decisions...

That 350 gr Hornady at 2200 fps is pretty danged impressive.

That's a thumper of a load for sure!

Guy

I do believe either of those loads will work for you. There is something gratifying, however, about using a load you rolled yourself. That being the case, I'd likely lean toward the handloaded load.

Ya- 'dem lever action rifles, they aint all that accurate..... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin: (y) . Nice Sir! you gotta love taken that one to the range of a Saturday. CL

Yes, I think I will go with the handload. As DrMike mentioned, something about "rolling your own" makes the hunt that much more special.

Back