25-20

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I haven’t done much with this rifle but wanted to try some 60 grain flat points I loaded up some time back.
I started off hitting high off the paper at 100 yards and spent some time trying to get it close to center. I’ve never really trusted the Simmons 3-9 scope that was on it so decided to try an older Redfield 2-7 I picked up somewhere and forgot I had.
03b67f4394e7bf33aecf3c1a7026549c.jpg

29f5d60932da4e75a1fd6e08e906ce67.jpg

40c5254c021d38c7af0d993c225ff810.jpg

Sighting in was pretty easy. First shot was low at 10 yards. Cranked it up a bunch of clicks and put the lower one in the bull there at 25 yards.
Shot a couple at 50 yards and will play with some more later. The sighting ammo was some 86 grain FPs my Dad had loaded with H110 in 1992.
I haven’t done much loading for this gun but the brass seems pretty delicate and unforgiving.
I was shooting some other 86 grain loads my Dad had loaded and was getting split necks.
If anybody has a source for 25-20 brass, I am interested in hearing about it.
de43d61d8df86a9aac1681de58e995eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is some life left in the old war horse. Looks to be a fun rifle.

There is a bit of a local legend surrounding a certain .25-20 rifle in these parts. During the depression, all the farm kids would hire out to tend sheep. Kind of a boring job that paid absolutely terrible but cash money was cash money.

A young man was watering his band when a female black bear showed up out of no where. His Savage bolt action .25-20 (with open sights I might add) was all the gun he had. Some days before he had lost the magazine so it was in effect a single shot. As the bear neared the waterhole and began to lick her lips at the thought of a mutton breakfast, our young herder snuck as close as he could to the bear, took careful aim and shot her right in the eyeball from very close distance. One shot, one bear.

It made the local paper in the early 1930’s. Now I think I would rather have something a bit bigger but a bullet in the right eye is hard to deny.

You’re rifle looks great!

There is a guy on Gunbroker who had about 4000 pieces of brass left (New Winchester). He only takes Checks or MOs though. About $50 per hundred. My dad just ordered some to try out in his recently rebuilt Rook Rifle.

5shot":22tgqy6w said:
There is a guy on Gunbroker who had about 4000 pieces of brass left (New Winchester). He only takes Checks or MOs though. About $50 per hundred. My dad just ordered some to try out in his recently rebuilt Rook Rifle.
Thanks for the info.

Back