JES rebore

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I was just looking at the JES website. I have a Springfield ‘03 in an abstract wildcat caliber that I have decided to rebore or rebarrel.

Due to the vintage of the craftsmanship I was wanting to stay with something of the late 1950’s era. After thinking it over, I was considering reboring to .30/338 but it appears JES doesn’t do anything under .338 caliber. Can anyone verify?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's always been my understanding, that they re-bore to .338" and larger.

Have some friends who swear by JES's work - I've never used them myself, but if I wanted a .338" or larger, I'd contact them in a heartbeat. Always thought my old 30-06 1917 would make a wonderful 338-06, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 rifle. Never did it, because it's a mighty fine 30-06 too.

Guy

I had him rebore a 308 to 358 in a savage 99. Excellent work and quick turn around.

I have one rebore from him. A 98 mauser that was a 308 he rebored to 9.3x62. Did excellent work and was back at my door in around two weeks. Thought about him reboring my interarms mark x in 30/06 to 338/06. But its a great old 30/06, and I just can't make myself do it lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have no doubt in the quality of workmanship. I have heard countless positive reviews. It’s just I wasn’t sure what all he was tooled up to do but it’s sounding like .338 minimum.

ShadeTree":31aalbyt said:
Filmjunkie, you're saying it's in an abstract wildcat caliber......what is it now?
Get a load of this ST:

.257 Norma Weatherby Magnum.

It isn’t the full length standard .257 Weatherby Magnum, oh no, it’s a wildcat which requires a simple 18 step process to whittle each individual piece of brass down from full length .308 Norma Mag.

Basically it’s got a .532 bolt face and I’m too broke to rebarrel it right now.

Beautiful gun, sketchy caliber.

filmjunkie4ever":2ffeh1xp said:
ShadeTree":2ffeh1xp said:
Filmjunkie, you're saying it's in an abstract wildcat caliber......what is it now?
Get a load of this ST:

It isn’t the full length standard .257 Weatherby Magnum, oh no, it’s a wildcat which requires a simple 18 step process to whittle each individual piece of brass down from full length .308 Norma Mag.

Yikes. I can see why you would want to do something different with it. No chance to just use the 257 bore and have it rechambered to something else so you don't have so much brass prep? Is it short chambered for the 308 Norma?

ShadeTree":m4v12i3e said:
filmjunkie4ever":m4v12i3e said:
ShadeTree":m4v12i3e said:
Get a load of this ST:

Yikes. I can see why you would want to do something different with it. No chance to just use the 257 bore and have it rechambered to something else so you don't have so much brass prep? Is it short chambered for the 308 Norma?
It’s only got a 24” tube and so it’s basically .257 Weatherby or bust. Any of the other .532 headstamp .257 wildcats are too overbore for a 24” barrel.

So it’s that or rebore/rebarrel. It’s a gorgeous gun and I want to use it but...

filmjunkie4ever":sdr2b6vn said:
ShadeTree":sdr2b6vn said:
filmjunkie4ever":sdr2b6vn said:
ShadeTree":sdr2b6vn said:
Get a load of this ST:

Sounds like it'd make a solid 358 Norma donor rifle and it probably would be well suited to the time period.

JES has done quite a few rifles for me and all have been excellent shooting rifles.

It’s only got a 24” tube and so it’s basically .257 Weatherby or bust. Any of the other .532 headstamp .257 wildcats are too overbore for a 24” barrel.

So it’s that or rebore/rebarrel. It’s a gorgeous gun and I want to use it but...

Guy Miner":gxbebdjd said:
A normal .257 Weatherby won't work with your barrel?
It would, just not sure that’s what I want. I have a .25-35 and .25-06 that might get jealous! [emoji6]

SJB358":uyql6xft said:
Sounds like it'd make a solid 358 Norma donor rifle and it probably would be well suited to the time period.

JES has done quite a few rifles for me and all have been excellent shooting rifles.

I was hoping for something a bit more pleasant to shoot. Where sub-.33 cal reboring is off the table, I might just as well start looking at the big stuff though.

filmjunkie4ever":k80xe4ld said:
SJB358":k80xe4ld said:

I was hoping for something a bit more pleasant to shoot. Where sub-.33 cal reboring is off the table, I might just as well start looking at the big stuff though.

Inside every 358 Norma lies a 35 Whelen or 358 Winchester.

225’s at 2500-2700 would be fairly gentle for the amount of whoop they’d lay on target.

filmjunkie4ever":23bwmmgi said:
ShadeTree":23bwmmgi said:
Get a load of this ST:

Mother of God! Who the heck would opt for that????????????

FOTIS":2r7ck5z9 said:
filmjunkie4ever":2r7ck5z9 said:
ShadeTree":2r7ck5z9 said:
Get a load of this ST:

Mother of God! Who the heck would opt for that????????????
I know right? Whoever built this rifle must’ve been one heck of a salesman. I even forwarded the info I have and case dimensions to JB and he’s never heard of it either.

It’s got a Bliss Titus barrel too. [emoji3525]

Man, that sucker is begging to be a 338, 35 or 375 Ruger. While it wouldn’t be a cream puff, you can load each of them pretty gently with lighter weights of bullets and still have a pile of fun with it.

I’ve toyed briefly with the .350 Rem Mag...

But I will probably go with something a little easier to find brass/ammo for.

gerry":1p35ow92 said:
You decide yet what you are going to do with it yet?
Honestly Gerry I think I’m going to see if the chamber could be recut to .257 Weatherby Magnum. If that’s not possible I think I will rebarrel versus rebore. Going to get it over to the gunsmith for review first.

Back