Rem 141 at 100 yds.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Rarely if ever do I shoot this rifle at 100 yds. Shoots extremely well at 50 yds which is in line with the woods ranges I figure I'll use it at. But shot it the other day at 100.

I forgot that this rifle shoots a little high with the tang mounted peep sight. Should've held at the 6 o'clock position bottom of the dot, but once I seen where the 1'st one hit I just went for group. Ended up under an inch.

I love shooting iron sighted rifles I can trust. Don't know what it is but this one and my Savage 1920 don't ever seem to be off their game anytime I pull them out. Flier's are just not in the equation.

A pic from before of the old gal. Not sleek and slick like a modern gun, but its been hard for me to fault its function and performance.

Indeed, that old gal shoots very well. You've got a shooter in that rifle.

Dr Mike, had a couple fella's there shooting when I pulled this rifle out of the truck. They asked what's that? :) Told them a couple things about it explaining mostly that it was the predecessor to the Rem 760.

1st shot I asked the guy shooting beside me with a scope, where it hit. He seemed somewhat impressed and said a little high and if it was straight down would be on the right side of the dot. That was the top left shot. Once confirmed, I told him I'll just go for group and shot the next one. He looked over and grinned shaking his head and said that one is right beside it.

I then stood the rifle in the corner and let them shoot at 100 and 200. Set the rifle back up on the bench and the last one went a little low in the group. That type of setup is completely foreign to most people younger than me nowdays. I think they went away debating in their mind and wondering how that old rifle with iron sights just did that at 100 yds? :lol:

I agree. I've shot some surprisingly accurate groups with a couple of old Model 94s and Model 336s when doing load work for others. One Model 94 chambered in 32 WCF was especially surprising in the accuracy department. Don't know that my aging eyes will permit me to reproduce some of these feats now, but the rifles were/are capable of some fine work.

Guy Miner":2fzlk7cb said:
Oh ya, that old rifle does just fine. (y)

Is that a twisted magazine tube? Looks cool. I don't think I've ever shot a Rem 141 rifle.

Worthwhile article on the 14 & 141 rifles:
https://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_14_141.html

Guy

Guy, yes it has a spiraled magazine tube. Inside and out. Lets you load pointed bullets. Although I doubt I'd utilize that feature, but you never know.

Here's a pic of the left side of the receiver. That knurled knob with a slot in it is the takedown bolt. When turned to be threaded out of the opposite side of the receiver, the bolt pulls through the receiver allowing you to separate the rifle into 2 parts.....receiver and barrel/ stock and trigger group. Not stretching it to say that you can have the rifle apart in 30 seconds.

The brass looking insert they put in them replicates a cartridge case head, with the correct headstamp on it for the rifle, in this example 35 Remington. It also serves as a gas port should something go wrong. Pretty cool old rifles I think.

We had one when I was a kid. Really liked that rifle. A no account cousin stole it from my dad. I remember it being a very accurate and handy truck rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the older rifles, like this one, showed some true engineering genius.

(y)

Guy Miner":3hyu8smk said:
Some of the older rifles, like this one, showed some true engineering genius.

(y)

That's what I appreciate about them. No computers, CNC machines, stamped parts or molds.

Brains, drawings, mechanics and math, along with a big dose of common sense of what will work to come up with the very complex but highly reliable and functional designs of some of the old rifles.

That and the meticulous machining and hand work that's obvious when you take them apart makes a person appreciate what they hold in their hands.

The fact this was without a scope impressed the heck out of me. I’d be lucky to hit the paper.
Reminds me of the time back when I was a lot younger I went to the rifle range and had my Remington 700 Classic 6.5 X 55 with me. There just happened to be an older gentleman there with an old 6.5 X 55 military rifle of some sort that looked like it had seen better days. He’d take a shot and fiddle around loading some pistol mags then take another shot. Took him about 15 minutes to shoot the three shots. I figured I’d let him have his fun and show him how a real gun shoots.
When he got done shooting we walked down to look at his target and after looking I didn’t even pull my gun out of the case. It was quite impressive. He might have been pulling my leg but when I asked him what ammo he was shooting he said it was the cheapest store bought ammo he could find.
Definitely a humbling experience.
Bet you made an impression on the others there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alderman":2xo0ji1t said:
The fact this was without a scope impressed the heck out of me. I’d be lucky to hit the paper.
Reminds me of the time back when I was a lot younger I went to the rifle range and had my Remington 700 Classic 6.5 X 55 with me. There just happened to be an older gentleman there with an old 6.5 X 55 military rifle of some sort that looked like it had seen better days. He’d take a shot and fiddle around loading some pistol mags then take another shot. Took him about 15 minutes to shoot the three shots. I figured I’d let him have his fun and show him how a real gun shoots.
When he got done shooting we walked down to look at his target and after looking I didn’t even pull my gun out of the case. It was quite impressive. He might have been pulling my leg but when I asked him what ammo he was shooting he said it was the cheapest store bought ammo he could find.
Definitely a humbling experience.
Bet you made an impression on the others there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alderman, I do a lot of reading on rifle related subjects. Don't remember exactly where I read it but I remember a man talking about old Mauser rifles 7x57's, etc. He stated that with proper reloads a lot of them were capable of 3/4" groups at 100 yds with iron sights.

When I first got back into shooting iron sights with these old rifles I would think of that statement occasionally and I would say to myself, yeah right, I'd like to see it. Didn't seem possible when the sight takes up half the paper or more at that distance. But with a good rifle and practice, he was right. I couldn't do it 2 yrs ago.

My 1920 in particular I've gotten to the point I can pretty much call the shot whether it should be in there centered or not at 100 yds before I pull the binoculars up and check. Fun stuff given the old rifle and sight apparatus being used.

Back