.40 cal muzzleloader groups from this morning

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
I've been struggling with this muzzleloader for a nearly a week before I noticed the scope had slipped in the rings. So I went to Sportsman's and bought 2 sets of rings and remounted my Nightforce NXS 5.5x22. I took it out this am and shot these two groups at 100yds with 75grs of IMR 4166 and 312gr Pittman bullets at 2850fps. The rifle is a Remington stainless single shot action, 30" Brux max HV with 6" flat, Jewell trigger, Iota stock, and my 5 port Super Beast muzzle brake. It weighs 14.75lbs but the recoil is mild and it obviously shoots.

Attachments

• .40 muzzleloader groups.jpg
    .40 muzzleloader groups.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 531
  • .40 muzzleloader.jpg
    .40 muzzleloader.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 531
Well, that'll do! Good that you quickly diagnosed the issue and corrected it. Excellent riflery, btw.

Thanks Mike. The gun acted like it wanted to shoot before but once the scope got locked down it was ready for the big leagues. It shot several 1" groups in a row before I saw the scope had slipped.

I'll pack it on my EXO pack. I'll put up with a heavy gun if it shoots that good. The recoil is pretty mild too. My hunting buddy shot the other one today and he is a weenie. He was surprised at how little it kicked. We dialed both in at 200yds and I shot both at 590yds. This was 2 shots from each gun with the same 10.25 MOA dope. On the high shot I tried wrapping my hand around the front of the bag and the pistol grip smacked the top of my hand so I shot the other 3 shots with a different hold.

Attachments

• .40 muzzleloaders 590yds.jpg
    .40 muzzleloaders 590yds.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 454
Sorry to highjack the thread, but for me muzzleloading was always black powder and a lead bullet loaded - well - from the muzzle.
Is there a page for info with nitro-powder and modem bullets?
Would like to learn about the mechanics....

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Ok, I watched some videos and get the idea.
I guess the barrel is closed at the system side apart from a flash hole?

Don't get me wrong - I like all kinds of shooting - but what is the motivation for that kind of muzzle loading? Being able to hunt during muzzleloader season?
'just' having another variable?
Energy-whise, they seem to be ahead of all my center fires.
Seems a bit like longbow vs. Compound.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Back