25-06 or 6.5 Creedmoor

Brinky72

Beginner
Jan 25, 2019
Not looking to start an argument or pissing match by any means and doubt you guys will resort to one because this isn’t the campfire. For starters this is a down the road a bit as far as coming to fruition. Lord knows my Whelen barrel took nine months to get done. I’m going to get a Remington 700 SS Mountain rifle for my next toy. I just have a thing for those guns. I’ve had both the 25-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor in the past and liked them both. Reason for narrowing down to these two is in Michigan they allow night hunting of coyotes with center fires that are under.269”. I know all there is about the attributes of the Creedmoor. I’ve heard some are offering better bullets in 257 and that bore is starting to get a little more attention. Although the 6.5 Creedmoor is getting damn near as common as the old ‘06 as far as factory loads. Leaning toward the 6.5 but I tend to like the under dog. Splitting hairs hear with these two but just for conversation sake.

You wouldn't get an argument out of me. Either cartridge would serve you very well. I like either of them, especially for the purpose you propose. Additionally, either will serve you well as a wicked deer/black bear rifle.

I think this one is splitting hairs as they say. As stated both are great cartridges, both can do double duty for varmints and medium game. On the light end at 85gr both can get to 3500 or better and with the 100 both can get to 3300, the 25-06 has the edge in BC with that weight. just my opinion but the Creed has bullets over 120grs and would be the decider for me.

25-06 for me all day long. I just like that cartridge and it being chambered in the Mountain Rifle SS is just a plus. My wife's rifle was a 700 Mountain Rifle in 25-06 and it sure shot well. It took deer, antelope, and elk with coyotes thrown in the mix also. I think it's an outstanding coyote rifle also. Accurate, flat shooting, and easy to carry.

That "other cartridge" mentioned would work nicely also but I'm just not warmed up to the 6.5 Man-Bun much. My buddies Ruger American shoots amazingly well with factory ammo and it doesn't kick much and I'm pretty sure it's my own personal feelings getting in the way of me not liking it more. Either will work just fine.

David

6mm Remington":2vuys6r8 said:
25-06 for me all day long. I just like that cartridge and it being chambered in the Mountain Rifle SS is just a plus. My wife's rifle was a 700 Mountain Rifle in 25-06 and it sure shot well. It took deer, antelope, and elk with coyotes thrown in the mix also. I think it's an outstanding coyote rifle also. Accurate, flat shooting, and easy to carry.

That "other cartridge" mentioned would work nicely also but I'm just not warmed up to the 6.5 Man-Bun much. My buddies Ruger American shoots amazingly well with factory ammo and it doesn't kick much and I'm pretty sure it's my own personal feelings getting in the way of me not liking it more. Either will work just fine.

David

Ouch! I do like the 25-06, but David! The 6.5 Man-Bun? Really? :shock:

The 6.5 Manbun aka the 6.5 Freakmoor! LOL Yes I have one. Shoots great. Building a 25-06 Ackley as we speak (fast twist) so I like them both.

6.5 Creed. will give you a large selection of bullets were the .25 cal is lacking. Factory 25-06 barrels have too slow of twist to take advantage of the new high bc bullets becoming available.

I have a 6.5 Needmore & it wasn't an easy date on prom night to get shooting well as so many claim, but after some initial frustration it does work pretty well. I'm also just beginning the journey with 25-06 so have not much real experience with it yet.

For a mountain rifle a thinner & shorter barrel would likely be in the description. Does the 25-06 work as well with a thin 20 or 22" barrel as it does with a stouter 24 or 26"? If not, & sticking with the 1/4 bore, would a standard or Ackley 257 Roberts (3") or even a 250-3000 Improved* loaded to proper pressure be mo' better with negligible velocity loss? If staying with commonly available standard chamberings, as much as I hate to say it, the 6.5 may be a better choice... or not.

*About a 25 Manbun depending on the shoulder angle used.

6.5-06 if it were me. Why not? Better bullet selection than the 25s, more power than the Creedmoor.

Then again, I load for a 6.5 Weatherby (aka necked up 257 case) but for brass availability and cost I'd do the -06 version.

DrMike":1zbglsue said:
6mm Remington":1zbglsue said:

Ouch! I do like the 25-06, but David! The 6.5 Man-Bun? Really? :shock:

I cannot get anything past you folks! :grin:

The Mountain Rifle of my wife's was the wispy 22" barrel but it did shoot and shoot very well. I loaded IMR4350 under 120 gr. Nosler Partitions and was looking for accuracy and did not search out a powder that might give the highest velocity. My load chronographed exactly at 3000 fps, accurate, excellent case life, and it sure killed game well.

FOTIS":1kwayvt7 said:
The 6.5 Manbun aka the 6.5 Freakmoor! LOL Yes I have one. Shoots great. Building a 25-06 Ackley as we speak (fast twist) so I like them both.
Now your talking, fast twist 25/06 ackley. That would be worth looking into. Love those 40° shoulders! I’d definitely opt for a center feed those zero taper square shoulders can be a PITA to get to feed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either one would be a good choice. If you want something different, consider the 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts AI and the :6.5-284.

JD338

358 WCF":3bn9swcl said:
I have a 6.5 Needmore & it wasn't an easy date on prom night to get shooting well as so many claim, but after some initial frustration it does work pretty well. I'm also just beginning the journey with 25-06 so have not much real experience with it yet.

For a mountain rifle a thinner & shorter barrel would likely be in the description. Does the 25-06 work as well with a thin 20 or 22" barrel as it does with a stouter 24 or 26"? If not, & sticking with the 1/4 bore, would a standard or Ackley 257 Roberts (3") or even a 250-3000 Improved* loaded to proper pressure be mo' better with negligible velocity loss? If staying with commonly available standard chamberings, as much as I hate to say it, the 6.5 may be a better choice... or not.

*About a 25 Manbun depending on the shoulder angle used.

My ears always perk up when some one says "250...." (No surprise right..?) But I also have access to a 6.5 now albeit a 6.5 JAP. Dosent qualify me to give you an opinion though. My 250 shoots WAY better, when I do than the 6.5. IF you want a variety of off the shelf ammo then the 6.5 is probably your choice. (Allegedly the Creed was based on a 250 Savage case ....so there... I got it in again. :p And a 250 Ackley is pretty impressive.... A 25-06 is pretty easy, usually, to make shoot and it can be impressively fast. Sorry IDK....CL

Really depends if you plan on shooting much over 600 yards. That's the only difference where the 6.5CM with the 140-147s will spank the 2506 with anything it can do in the 115-120 range. For hunting out to 500-600 yards, I'd take the 2506 all day. If target shooting from 600+ the 6.5CM will easily get you there over the 2506.

You have a whelan and probably a 3006, so the 25.06 makes great sense.
I would not be afraid of that! I’d love to have one of those!

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 CM

The 6.5-06 could work too.

The other two you will be able to buy factory ammo from many.

Let us know when you decide!

I notice most of us gun guys are really good at splitting hairs... and borderline if not completely OCD.

I say 25.06 but my opinion is gonna be a little bias because i've been shooting a 25.06 for over 30yrs so needless to say, i love a 25.06. My brother just recently bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical 6.5 Creedmoor and i have to say i was very impressed with the accuracy of his rifle out of the box with factory bullets and it only got better with handloads. He hasn't harvested anything with it yet but a paper target but deer season is right around the corner and he's itching to shoot something.

My daughter shoots a 260 rem and after seeing the performance of her 260 on game i would think the Creedmoor would be as equally effective. If i were to buy a 6.5 though it would be a 260 just because of personal experience with that round.

Brinky72":2xjqw6fp said:
Not looking to start an argument or pissing match by any means and doubt you guys will resort to one because this isn’t the campfire. For starters this is a down the road a bit as far as coming to fruition. Lord knows my Whelen barrel took nine months to get done. I’m going to get a Remington 700 SS Mountain rifle for my next toy. I just have a thing for those guns. I’ve had both the 25-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor in the past and liked them both. Reason for narrowing down to these two is in Michigan they allow night hunting of coyotes with center fires that are under.269”. I know all there is about the attributes of the Creedmoor. I’ve heard some are offering better bullets in 257 and that bore is starting to get a little more attention. Although the 6.5 Creedmoor is getting damn near as common as the old ‘06 as far as factory loads. Leaning toward the 6.5 but I tend to like the under dog. Splitting hairs hear with these two but just for conversation sake.

One question Brinky,
Are you wanting a dedicated rifle just for coyotes or
more of an all-around hunting rifle?

I’ve shot a couple hundred coyotes under a spotlight.... literally. Many of them with a .25-06 running 85 NBTs or 90 Sierra HPBTs. The 25-05 hammers on coyotes.... no doubt about that.

I’ve got about 15 years or so of fooling around with .260, Swede, Creed, x47, etc... and they’re great rounds too.... the 123 Amax is hell on coyotes too.

25-06 is my favorite cartridge.... it’s tall and shapely.... fast and little obnoxious... like many of the girls I used to date.... but I’ll never have another one.

The .260 or Creed is the perfect marrying type..... Maybe not as tall and sexy.... but mellow, highly effective, not temperamental, and can handle all the chores... but is still awful fun to play with.

That being said..... my choice for nighttime coyote hunting....is the .243 (or 6 Creed). Hands down, nothing comes close at night. At night, ranges are deceiving.... and backstops can be obscure. Another important factor at night is ability to handle recoil and spot your own shots.... inside of a very small light window. Hauling A$$ with frangible bullets and lighter recoil is the name of the night game. By far, the most effective nighttime coyote load was a 6mm 55 NBT at 4000+ fps. The 6’s hit way harder than the .22 CFs.... and at night, dogs that don’t go straight down, are far too often lost.

Songdog you make some good points. As you all know the 6mm Remington should be put there in the mix as it's everything that the 243 or 6mm Creedmoor are. I guess I never brought that up as the OP was talking about just the two cartridges he had in mind. Hey just like Songdog said the 6mm's are a great bunch to hunt coyotes with. Very fast, accurate, and gentle recoil. Songdog I'm ashamed you did not mention the best 6mm out there!

David

Back