Quick help, Remington 78 sportsman

bmoore

Beginner
Aug 24, 2020
Anyone ever have one? My local shop has one in 223 for 289. Best I can find out they are a 700 ADL in a birch stock and a little less time spent on the bluing. I don't really need another 223 but the price seems good for a wood and steel rifle with a little 4-12 bushnell on it. Let me know what you think. I am going to go in this morning and check it out.

I had one in 30-06 years ago and they were just a less polished version of the Rem 700. If this one is in good shape I would buy it in a heart beat. They would be superior to the typical entry level rifle made these days in my opinion.

bmoore":1av9nvt8 said:
Anyone ever have one? My local shop has one in 223 for 289. Best I can find out they are a 700 ADL in a birch stock and a little less time spent on the bluing. I don't really need another 223 but the price seems good for a wood and steel rifle with a little 4-12 bushnell on it. Let me know what you think. I am going to go in this morning and check it out.
They are basically an economy M700.
They were good, and as reliable, and strong as any M700 ADL, or BDL of the same era.
If it's at a great price, I would snap it up.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Box Store plain 700(walmart K mart etc). No jeweled bolt body or checkered handle knob uncheckered birch stock. My dad had one in 308 he bought at wally world for $259. He stripped the finish off the stock, wiped it down with muriatic acid and then used a blow torch to bring out the grain. after lots of finish sanding he used a light walnut stain and hand rubbed linseed oil finish. looked like a million bucks to a 10yr old. His 788 was more accurate but that 78 was a close second.

Well I passed. It had some surface rust here and there, the barrel plugs for the rear site were missing, I did not really care for the one piece scope mount or rings. The action was a pretty cool little action though, for sure a 700. Out the door was slightly over 360 and that was just too high for what I wanted to do/needed to do with it. It was on consignment and I guess the seller was firm. I will save my money for another day. The trigger broke crisply but was heavy 5-6lbs probably. Thanks for the help.

Back