Remington 760 / 7600

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
all the talk about these pump guns lately , had me dig these out of storage for a few pics . the 30.06 and 222 are 760's and equipped with old school see through mounts . cheek weld was just about none when these mounts were used .

PA250997.JPG

PA250996.JPG

this is my sons 7600 , 243 . I bought it used from a guy that missed a few deer with it . he only hunted with it one year , was disgusted and sold it . when I bought it , it also had the see through mounts . I figured out there was a problem with the mounts . whatever distance the rifle was sighted in at would be right on . if you shot at a distance that was more than about 40 or 50 yards from the zero distance the POI would be way off . I changed the mounts to regular mounts and rings , and the problem was solved .it took me a little while to figure this out . I could then understand why the first owner was missing deer . it has the laminated stock with the matt finish metal .

PA250995.JPG

this one is Denise's 7600 . it's a 243 , with the embellished receiver , and walnut stock . it's really a nice fancy rifle . I didn't get a pic of it by itself . it's the nearest one in the group pic .

PA250993.JPG

PA251001.JPG

PA251002.JPG

Wow! Those are really nice rifles ya got!
That laminated one looks really nice to me.
The one I just aquired still has an old Weaver 3-9x40mm scope on it. I need to find the allen wrench size for the screws. The scope is way too canted to be accurate I think.
I don't think mine was used all that much.
You've got a really nice collection there.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Very nice rifles. I really like that 222 Rem, can't be too many of them out there in that chambering. Would love to find one like that myself. Didn't realise they made a laminate stocked version it looks very sharp. I could see those see through mounts causing more problems than they solve.

Very nice collection Jim. That engraved 243 is sharp all the way around. Looks like the two 760's are the older corn cob style forend. Nice rifles.

I'm not doubting you, but I'm not following how a fixed scope mount caused a different point of impact at small varying distances? Explain that one to me if you don't mind.

thanks Hawk . weaver was a popular scope back in the day .

gerry , you pretty much have those see through mounts summed up . I was probably 14 when I got the scope on the 30.06 , I couldn't hit nothing with iron sights . I saved up money and bought a Bushnell sportview 4 power , that was the first scope in the family . I think it cost $20 . I had to buy one every couple years , they would fog up . I'd guess Dad just had the gun shop use what they recommended for mounts , because we sure didn't know anything about this stuff . I think the 222 is kind of a rare one .

shade tree , yes , the two 760's are old . my Grandpap bought the 30.06 new from sears in the late 1950's , Dad bought the exact same rifle a year or two later it looks identical . Grandpap passed away before I was old enough to hunt , so I got his guns . his collection was this 30.06 and a winchester model 12 , 12 gauge . I was 19 or 20 when I found the 222 for sale . I set it up with the same mounts , as that's all I knew . I would say the 222 is from in that era too , it looks identical to the 30.06's .

Travis' 243 with the see through mounts , I don't know for sure what was going on . I swapped scopes ,had the same problem . after playing with it for awhile I bought regular mount and rings , that fixed it . I'm not sure if the see throughs have a front and rear , or if something wasn't made right . when I got it to shoot correctly I threw away the see throughs . I've often wondered if I would have switched positions with the rings if that would have fixed it .

if / when , I start to play around with these I'll need to do some upgrades to the scope mounts . I'd really have a hard time shooting with the scope that high .

Weird Jim, if that fixed it then that was the problem, my brain just isn't figuring out why.

Unless it's just the camera angle, the 30-06 in particular looks like it has super high see-thru mounts that would make it awkward and unwieldy to shoot. I have a model 70 that is one of my better shooting rifles with see thru mounts and it's never caused me any issues, but I've never particularly liked them and intend to change it out at some point.

I've noticed one time when I had a buddy of mine bought his varmint rifle, it shot fine at distances, but up close it was shooting high. We adjusted his scope all the way down, and it was still shooting high.
Upon further inspection, the person at the gun store who set it up, had put the rear ring on the front base, and the front ring on the rear base.
That might be the problem with your rings.
Plus, I never liked the see through rings. You never get a good cheek weld to your stock, and that makes things less steady.
I'm a proponent of low over bore scopes. That way you can get a perfect hold on your rifle, and the perfect cheek weld.
But that's just my 2 cents worth.

Hawk

jimbires said:

I'm going to test the Weaver out, and see if it can still track, and keep it's accuracy. They made some really good scopes back in the day.
I just want to fix the darned cant.
It's bugging me because I can't at the moment.

Hawk

ShadeTree":3v38yng8 said:
Weird Jim, if that fixed it then that was the problem, my brain just isn't figuring out why.

Unless it's just the camera angle, the 30-06 in particular looks like it has super high see-thru mounts that would make it awkward and unwieldy to shoot. I have a model 70 that is one of my better shooting rifles with see thru mounts and it's never caused me any issues, but I've never particularly liked them and intend to change it out at some point.

I agree . I remember it being a big change in POI , with a small change in target distance . if I remember right , 50 yards just about put POI off a sighting in target .

the rings are very high on the 30.06 . one of these days I'll have to get these old guns out and upgrade them . today , you couldn't give me a set of these rings . the lower the better .

HAWKEYESATX":pxqm1v65 said:
jimbires":pxqm1v65 said:

I'm going to test the Weaver out, and see if it can still track, and keep it's accuracy. They made some really good scopes back in the day.
I just want to fix the darned cant.
It's bugging me because I can't at the moment.

Hawk

Hawk , you'll want to get that weaver out and try to be sure it doesn't fog up .

Is there any reason to go with a 7600 over a 760? Looks like the main difference is going to a large lug design over the smaller locking lugs of the 760.

Been looking online at 760's and 7600's here :roll: found a few good ones of each. Leaning towards the 7600's and there is also a Sportsman 76 in 30-06 available too.

gerry":2blh8qev said:
According to this the laminate stocked 243 you have was made in 2000 and was one of 300 in that chambering so is pretty rare. Looks like they made runs of 300 of other rounds as well.

http://gun-data.com/remington_mod_model ... d%20for%20.

gerry , you're exactly right on the year . Travis was born in 1990 . you can hunt at age 12 in Pa , so that would be 2002 . I bought the rifle when he was 11 , ( 2001 ) so we could practice with it . the first owner hunted it one season . thanks for passing along the info on the laminated stock option .

I don't know the differences between the two models . all I know is the 7600's replaced the 760's .

Very cool rifles Jim. My three favorites for hunting up North is my P64 FWT 270, M7600 35 Whelen and M7600 280 Rem. I’ve got a 760 in 270 Win I was thinking of sending off to JES to get made into a 338-06 for grins.

280 Rem

35 Whelen

Man! Look at those groups!
Can't get any better than that!

Hawk

jimbires":5964l5ip said:
for a hunting rifle these pump guns work out great .

They are pretty decent rifles. Plenty accurate for long shooting and if you like to push or track bucks the quick 2nd shot doesn’t stink.

jimbires":1rdbptg0 said:
ShadeTree":1rdbptg0 said:

I agree . I remember it being a big change in POI , with a small change in target distance . if I remember right , 50 yards just about put POI off a sighting in target .

the rings are very high on the 30.06 . one of these days I'll have to get these old guns out and upgrade them . today , you couldn't give me a set of these rings . the lower the better .

I read this last night .the "OP" is asking about windage though . it sounds like the guy in reply #2 had the same problem as I did .

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threa ... e.4025058/

I picked up a 760 in .270 win out in New Mexico in November. I've only fired it a couple of times and haven't mounted a glass on it yet. It was in really good shape and a good price. It was made back in the 50s.

Bruce Mc":2ns4xh1g said:
I picked up a 760 in .270 win out in New Mexico in November. I've only fired it a couple of times and haven't mounted a glass on it yet. It was in really good shape and a good price. It was made back in the 50s.

I'd guess the 30.06 is from the late 50's or early 60's .

I've got to shoot these some , I haven't shot them in many years .

Back