M70 Featherweight 7x57

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
This past weekend my wife went to visit her relatives in Iowa but I had to stay behind to work. She called me Sunday from Scheels to fill me in on what she found regarding guns and reloading supplies but, like most places, they were pretty well picked over.

One thing she found that caught my eye was a Winchester Model 70 in 7mm Mauser. It was in very good shape and had a Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40 in Leupold rings and bases mounted. She sent me pictures and I looked it up in Blue Book of Gun Values. I found out it was a SHOT Show special edition from 2013. It has a Grade I walnut stock and instead of the usual 22 or 24 inch barrel, it's a 26.

Anyway, I had her snag it for me so now I'm in the process of loading some ammo for it and hopefully can test drive it Monday at the range.

Ron

That's a pretty rare gun in a great round, sounds like a great find, congrats. Be neat to see what loads you come up with.

Hoo, boy, I'd be on that like white on rice. I have a Model 70 7X57, and I love it. This is the second one I've owned. I missed my chance at the Shot Show special back when it was available, but the one I have came up and I grabbed it. I must say, you have a great lady in one who is willing to phone you to let you know what she found. Congratulations all the way around!

A great wife and a great rifle. Doesn't get any better than that!

JD338

Guys, it appears I made a mistake about the specifics of the rifle. I had been away hunting and when I returned home I looked at the Fotis's reply and this caused me to look at the rifle closer. While it is indeed a Model 70 Featherweight, I looked at the wrong entry on Blue Book. It is not a SHOT Show gun but rather a USRAC rifle made in 1983. My apologies.

Thank you guys very much for the kind words about my wife. Yes, she is indeed a keeper. She hunts, has her own rifles, shotgun and several handguns used for concealed carry. Of late she has shined even brighter and nothing to do with guns or hunting. My mother is terminally ill and we have been taking care of her along with hospice. My wife has been right there by my side, doing whatever needs done, and no complaints. I am very lucky to have her.

Ron

That sounds like a fantastic rifle! What could be better, an M70 in a slightly offbeat chambering?

BK":1uizvdty said:
That sounds like a fantastic rifle! What could be better, an M70 in a slightly offbeat chambering?

Wow, man, long time--no see. Where you been hiding? Good to see the post.

Thoughts and prayers for your mother, you, and your family. Congratulations on the “keeper” wife and rifle.
Duane

rjm158":1l1e8z0o said:
Guys, it appears I made a mistake about the specifics of the rifle. I had been away hunting and when I returned home I looked at the Fotis's reply and this caused me to look at the rifle closer. While it is indeed a Model 70 Featherweight, I looked at the wrong entry on Blue Book. It is not a SHOT Show gun but rather a USRAC rifle made in 1983. My apologies.

Thank you guys very much for the kind words about my wife. Yes, she is indeed a keeper. She hunts, has her own rifles, shotgun and several handguns used for concealed carry. Of late she has shined even brighter and nothing to do with guns or hunting. My mother is terminally ill and we have been taking care of her along with hospice. My wife has been right there by my side, doing whatever needs done, and no complaints. I am very lucky to have her.

Ron

I had a Model 70 Featherweight chambered in 7X57 from that era. It was the one rifle I never did get to shoot to the standard all other Winchesters shot. Before I gave it my full attention, the gun smith offered to buy it back or take it in trade on a new rifle. I got my first 300WSM with the rifle. I've owned two other Featherweight 7X57s since then, and each was a joy to shoot, putting a grin on my chin each time I went to the range.

DrMike":25jhfcde said:
BK":25jhfcde said:

Hello, Doc! I forgot my password, and was unable to log on. That awesome Fotis guy pulled some strings and got me a new password.

Sure have missed this place. Do you guys still torture Scotty with new and interesting rifles?

gerry":ovqzqtl2 said:
Welcome back BK glad you found a way to be able to post again!

Thanks, buddy! Like I said, I missed you reprobates!

BK":1vrqg3k1 said:
DrMike":1vrqg3k1 said:
BK":1vrqg3k1 said:

Hello, Doc! I forgot my password, and was unable to log on. That awesome Fotis guy pulled some strings and got me a new password.

Sure have missed this place. Do you guys still torture Scotty with new and interesting rifles?

Yeah, we all try to give Scotty the gears. However, he does a pretty good job of holding his own. Glad Fotis was able to get you back on. Good to see your handle showing up again.

Back