Got my Savage M25 17 Hornet (range report)

bmoore

Beginner
Aug 24, 2020
I got my M25 yesterday in 17 Hornet. The rifle was made in September of this year. I was very happy with the rifles fit and finish. The medium contour (call it medium/heavy) barrel is nicely free floated and the stock is much better than the plastic stocks on the Axis. I own an Axis and this stock seems to be more solid and much better made, I was happily surprised. The rifle handles very well, the stock is thin in the forend and with low rings I get a solid cheek weld without the need for a kydex riser back at the comb. The action is smooth and seems to be getting better with a limited number of rounds down range. The magazine is another nice surprise. It is solid and well made, it is super smooth to load and feed. It snaps in with a very positive click. I am not sure what the complaints about it were but it should be noted mine is stamped "Revision 2". The magazine is nice. Overall the rifles aesthetics exceeded my expectations for the M25 walking varminter.

Shooting. The rifle just plain shoots. The trigger was set just under 3lb from the factory. I took 7 different loads out with me today and they all shot under 7/8 inch.....most 1/2 or under. The two best of the day was 9.3 grains of W296 under a 15.5 grain Hornady NTX lead free. This load shot 1/3 inch and had a 3,508fps avg. The other was Hornady factory 20grn Vmax that shot 1/3 inch also and had a 3,574fps avg. The next best was 12.2 grains of H322 under a 25grn Vmax and shot .4 inches. The 12.2 charge had a 3,020fps avg. All 3 of these loads will be getting 5 shot groups next time. The rifle was quiet and had as much recoil as my 22 magnum (maybe). It was super fun and easy to shoot. I have a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm on it. All the groups were shot off a table with front and rear bag. I only had about 85 yards to work with but I don't see things changing much with 15 more yards.

THE BAD. The rifle does have the weak ejection problem that I knew I was rolling the dice on. It barely dribbles the brass out and sometimes it stays on top of the mag. It really was not a big deal, I just rotated the rifle 45 degrees or so and the brass came out fine. I am being very careful to not lose any brass anyway so this did not bother me much at all. I found this issue yesterday after I got it home and tested it with brass. The extractor seems weak to me, I can pull it away from the bolt face very easily with my finger. The ejector plunger seems stiff and solid how it should be. I was on the phone with Savage this morning 6am CA time. They picked up quick and had an extractor, spring and detent on the way to me. Fingers crossed.

The rifle carries well, it is light and their is no magazine digging in your back. The varmint profile barrel certainly adds some weight but it is a good weight. It makes the rifle easy to shoot and helps with seeing your impacts through the scope. Another thing, the barrel does not heat up much at all. I did not exactly burn through the rounds but it did not get remotely close to hot. It really is fantastic walking varminter.
IMG_2563.jpg
IMG_2561.jpg
IMG_2565.jpg
IMG_2566.jpg
IMG_2569.jpg

Sounds like a pretty good start. If your worst group out of 7 different loads comes in at 7/8" you have yourself an keeper of a gun. With the new parts coming that should take care of the weak ejection.

Sounds like a great calling rifle! I bet it does great on fox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerry":14ep39ha said:
Sounds like a pretty good start. If your worst group out of 7 different loads comes in at 7/8" you have yourself an keeper of a gun. With the new parts coming that should take care of the weak ejection.

Thanks, yeah I am willing to do some tinkering for a rifle that shoots.

Thebear_78":1s047vwz said:
Sounds like a great calling rifle! I bet it does great on fox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I am hoping to do a little night calling this year and get one.

Cant justify it....yet... After all, I have a .22 mag that groups very close to that...and I have no USE for it but a .17 Hornet keeps piquing my interest. If I could find one cheap with maple furniture I'd really be miserable for wanting it. Very nice rifle. Glad it shoots well. P-Dogs and jacks should be quaking in there boots! CL

cloverleaf":23vp5xw7 said:
Cant justify it....yet... After all, I have a .22 mag that groups very close to that...and I have no USE for it but a .17 Hornet keeps piquing my interest. If I could find one cheap with maple furniture I'd really be miserable for wanting it. Very nice rifle. Glad it shoots well. P-Dogs and jacks should be quaking in there boots! CL

Thank you. I hear ya. If CA didn't make it so miserable to buy ammo and illegal to order it.........not sure I would have ever left my 17HMR. They did though and I am glad to have a .17 that is reloadable, way more accurate and has twice as much punch.

Ya- sorry that CA makes it so miserable. Honestly, I'd just like to see the round blow somthin' up! not PC perhaps but hey, I learned to shoot stuff out at the city dump...Serious fun! Go have some.
Looks like a really fun rifle. CL

Back