new 6.5 x 284 build

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I decided to rebuild my existing BR 6.5 x 284 Remington 700 and its a short action with a tight .286 neck with a single feed to a new build as a repeater. After a brief discussion with 2 gunsmiths that the short action may or may not give clearance issues if used as a repeater rifle while ejecting a loaded round and magazine feed issues. I decided to scrap this rifle build and start a new build from scratch. Rifle will be used for bench shooting and hunting.

6.5 x 284 standard neck
Templar VII custom long action with built in 20 MOA rail ( Made by Defiance )
26 inch Bartein barrel : 7.5 twist
McMillian A5 stock with cheek riser and flush cups ( sling inserts ) with forward rail for Atlas bipod
AICS magazine
Color for stock : Marble : 70% olive, 20% black and 10% light grey
Aluminum pillar bedding with Marine Tex
Jewel trigger adjusted to 1 pound
.188 free bore
Using existing ATACR 5.5 x 25 x 56mm once completed
Built by GA Precision

What do you guys think?
I have a 6.5. Creedmoor capable of 2800 fps with 140 grain bullets ( haven't gone that fast though )
I just need a little faster 6.5 and already have all the existing dies / components for a 6.5 x 284 since I have an existing single feed 6.5 x 284

One question bugs me, is the 7.5 twist too fast and should I use the 8 twist? I just can't pick which one to use and I hear the higher RPM tear bullets apart like the 7 twist. Is that true? I just don't want to make the wrong choices on the twist on this build.

Berger website says the 153 and 156 grain offerings can be used in 1:8 twist and faster, will 7.5 twist help a little better to aid stabilization?

GAP says the 7.5 twist is their standard twist for the 6.5

I would roll with the 1-8 twist. This should be more than efficient for bullet stability.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Are you using frangible or thin skinned bullets.

GAP makes good stuff. I’d trust their 7.5.

Are you likely to shoot Accubonds, monos and FMJ target bullets
Vs Hunting varmints ?

If varmints you could try Barnes varmint grenades. Being monos they like the twist more than a vmax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":33k173ae said:
Are you using frangible or thin skinned bullets.

GAP makes good stuff. I’d trust their 7.5.

Are you likely to shoot Accubonds, monos and FMJ target bullets
Vs Hunting varmints ?

If varmints you could try Barnes varmint grenades. Being monos they like the twist more than a vmax.

Yes, I'll be using Bergers, Nosler Accubonds / Ballistic Tips, ELD-X / M and Sierra.

I’d do a 7.5 all day long. Rough throats year Bullets up mostly, not so much twist.

No downside to good Bullets turning fast.

Sounds like an awesome build buddy. I bet it’ll become a favorite.

mjcmichigan":tuibn0fc said:

Are you sure they are monos?

And I couldn't find them in 6,5

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Even where I live I have heard about how good GAP rifles are so considering their stellar reputation I would go with what they recommend. Sounds like a nice build and the 6.5/284 is really close in performance to the 6.5 PRC which is all the rage these days.

noslerpartition":1f4vg5nl said:
mjcmichigan":1f4vg5nl said:

Are you sure they are monos?

And I couldn't find them in 6,5

I pulled this from their site. It’s a non-lead cup and core. The core is a copper tin powder. I don’t think they offer it over 6mm.

VARMINT AND PREDATOR CONTROL

Introduced in 2007, the Varmint Grenade has rapidly become one of the most popular varmint bullets around. Based on a design Barnes developed for military applications, the hollow-cavity, flat-base bullet features a copper-tin powdered metal core surrounded by a guilding metal jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, lead free, but cup and core.
I load them for a friend in 223 for predators.
Seem to work.

But I do not see them in 6,5 on the Barnes site

Just put out the work order, turn around time will be 6 -8 months. Should be in time for next year deer season.

It's going to be a really nice gun that you are going to love. Hope the time passes for you quickly.

gerry":3t3h41pq said:
It's going to be a really nice gun that you are going to love. Hope the time passes for you quickly.
Thanks Gerry, it will be one of my favorites for sure. :grin:

This should be a real tackdriver when you get down to it! Fast twist is a good thing for the high BC long bullets. I used a 1:8" on my 300 NM TRG-42 when everyone thought WTF.... Now look at what bullets are being made. It seriously helped to stabilize bullets in the transonic zone which is why I did it in the first place. I never even had to use the Berger OTM 230's with their thicker jackets after testing the std. 230 HT.

Back