New rifle advice - looking for a triple purpose rifle

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
Ok so before I post I know the easy answer is just get 3 rifles (I wish), but I am looking for a rifle caliber to serve three purposes; coyotes, deer, be fun as heck to shoot. I have enough big boomers to take care of anything I would come across. However I do not have a dedicated varmint / coyote rifle. I have two 243's at home but one is my son's and the other is my wife's. I had thoughts on getting a 243 because it will definitely fill all 3 categories I am trying to satisfy. I can load it down to 55 grainers for coyotes and of course 100 gr for deer. I had thoughts of possibly trying a 6.5 creedmoor to fill this void. I could load it with some 85-100 gr bullets for coyotes and of course up to 140 for deer. Maybe there is a caliber that I am not thinking of that will satisfy all three criteria. I have only shot one 6.5 CM and it was my brother's x bolt. The rifle has a brake on it so recoil was very minimal. I do not have experience with any other 6.5's. Any sound input / or advice is appreciated. Right now just trying to decide on caliber. The rifle choice will come later.

My 25-06 fills that role for me. :grin:

I just use the same load for deer, antelope, and coyotes, the 115 @ 3150 fps.

Mild recoil. Accurate. Lethal.

I also got a 6mm Creedmoor - mine is a rather heavy target rifle - think of it as similar ballistics to your 243, though it handles the new longer, heavier bullets better, in a case that seems to have some advantages.

And, not a doggone thing wrong with sticking with your 243, a cartridge you already know. :)

Guy

Why not a 6mm BR or a 6x47 Lapua. They're fun to shoot, use little in the way of gunpowder, the barrel will last a little longer than a 6 CM, the 6mm BR being the best of the bunch for accuracy and barrel life.

Your first idea is a very sound one. You can use the bullet weights you mentioned, and they will work quite well. Now, if you wanted one bullet weight that will do yeoman service, then look at the 125 - 129 gr. range. They can be driven fast enough to expand on coyotes and deer.
Another cartridge I would look at is the 7mm-08. It's quite versatile, and doesn't have much more recoil than a 6.5 Creed.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I really like that whole "tribe" of accurate, fast, light-recoiling rifles...

Fun to shoot, easy to shoot, effective. There's a pile of 'em available. Pick on that strikes your fancy!

I'd be kinda tempted to toss the 257 Wby Mag in there as well. Like a 25-06 with a supercharger.

Guy

Without reading the replies my first thought was the 25-06 if you wanted to stray away from the 243. The 257 Roberts would fit the bill, kimber has a few to choose from. Winchester has a coyote light in 243 that I've thought about, heavier barrel but still under 8#. The creeds would be alright too just need to find the rifle you like

The 6.5CM is filling that role for me. Loaded down with 100gr bullets at 3200, it's a fur friendly killer of game like coyotes and other varmints. Load up 140-150gr bullets and deer and caribou can't shake it off. Throw in some generic target loads and ring steel as far as you care.

While I favor the 300 for big game hunting, once winter hits and the bears go to sleep I pack the 6.5 quite a bit. It's definitely more capable than any of the 223 class once stuff gets out past 200 or weighs more than 50lbs.

My first thought is the 250 Savage.
87 gr for coyotes, and 100 gr for deer.
Mild recoil and a lot if fun to shoot!
Some great choices out there...
Savage 99's
Ruger No.1's (regular or RSI versions)
Ruger Model 77's (again, regular or RSI versions)
Other bolt actions, such as Remington 700 Classic, Model 70 and Savage bolt actions.

If you are looking for something a little zippier, the Ackley Improved version adds quite a bit (the most improved "AI" cartridge), and is even more fun!
Or as already mentioned, the 257 Roberts.

I'll say take a look at the 260 or the 7mm-08 . both of these are accurate , easy to load for , easy on the shoulder , with a wide range of bullets . I often shoot groundhogs with my 7-08 , and I've killed more deer with a 7-08 than any other cartridge .

For me 260 Rem you can load light bullets or load heavies. Accurate easy to load. You also keep yourself in the same base brass cartridge. 308 win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My most used varmint rifle is a Remington SA, Tactical in .308. Shoots sub 1/2 inch, is easy to load and if I wanted I could hunt about anything with it. Save yourself a ton of money and pain trying to find loading materials, developing accurate loads, and putting together all of the new stuff, use one of those you have now

Get another 243....

Going forward components are going to stay scarce off and on, it'll simplify your life and save you money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Lots of good advice and great choices. For the Quarter bores, 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts AI, 25-06 or 25-06 AI.

The .264's could be 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem.

JD338

None of the options you've been given would be bad choices. I'll throw in some brain fodder of something different for you to think about that I've thought about in this exact scenario.

A 25-08, or 25 Souper as it's often called. Gives you lighter fast varmint bullet weights than the bigger bores and much heavier bullet options than your 243. All with minimal powder charges and housed in a short action. You would have lots of 243 brass the way it sounds, neck them up to 25 caliber and you're good to go.

Something about this scenario just makes me think quarter bore. 250 Savage would be the clear winner for getting done what you want with the most efficiency, 25-06 would provide a much increased whiz/bang effect. 25 Souper would display a satisfying level of both, in my opinion.

Didn’t say if buying or building , but a fast twist 25 Creedmoor would fit the bill.

Tjay":3v6kitf7 said:
22-250 with an 8" twist.

That’s a good one.

I’ve got that and a 1-7.5 twist 6mm CM. Both of them cover the same ground. And they are fun.

Back