Bedded my ruger #1, and almost had panic attack lol.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
I decided to bed my #1 in 416 Rem Mag. The gun has been a solid 1 1/8" to 1.5" in gun for me. I did start to notice it shifting zero though, so I decided to give it a try. Ive done several bolt actions now, but this was a bit different. After searching and searching the internet I came up with a few ideas. First off I checked the quarter rib and it was actually touching the reciever, so I shaved about .006" off. Then bedded the forearm in three places, and free floated barrel. When I went to shoot it groups were terrible, like best was about 2" maybe and worst about 3.5". So after feeling like throwing up thinking I ruined one of my bucket list guns, I took it back apart. Then I noticed bedding had gotten between the barrel and the hanger apparently went a little heavy on the bedding compound in that spot lol. After working on that for a good while, and finally cleaning it out I settled down for another group. Getting worried cause I dont have alot of extra ammo for this gun lol. Luckily next three went into a nice .844" group, which is by far best group this rifle has ever shot. So crisis averted haha. I know its only one group, but being short of ammo and the three previous groups being horrendous i feel much more confident lol.
576649f2cd5cdf782fe9f173dc596e9b.jpg
b68523c9bd5d960a7c00246d3e53d96d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Well, I can well imagine that the group was a relief. No doubt further testing will confirm your initial supposition and cause you to smile over the rifle. Good job.

DrMike":13hx0y08 said:
Well, I can well imagine that the group was a relief. No doubt further testing will confirm your initial supposition and cause you to smile over the rifle. Good job.
Thanks DrMike! If I could just round up some extra powder I'd give it a thorough workout.

Might have taken a couple of tries but your bedding job resulted in the improvement you were searching for. Hope you get more bullets and powder. Hope we all do next years to come. Dan.

Congratulations! That moment of doubt must have been horrible!

Glad it improved performance! Nice shooting with the boomer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nicely done! Of course, anything you'd shoot with a .416 is going to be considerably bigger than 0.844!

My Rigby wouldn't hold 2" at 100....and that was plenty for it's intended purpose!

wvbuckbuster":30zn2acb said:
Might have taken a couple of tries but your bedding job resulted in the improvement you were searching for. Hope you get more bullets and powder. Hope we all do next years to come. Dan.
Thanks! Yeah I've got plenty of powders, but none that work with these. I really misjudged how much I would actually shoot these boomers lol. Gonna take an 1.5 hour trip Saturday and hope im able to round some up.

mjcmichigan":2egyvadp said:
Congratulations! That moment of doubt must have been horrible!

Glad it improved performance! Nice shooting with the boomer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks

HodgemanAK":36e2tqkw said:
Nicely done! Of course, anything you'd shoot with a .416 is going to be considerably bigger than 0.844!

My Rigby wouldn't hold 2" at 100....and that was plenty for it's intended purpose!
Yeah your right they are for hitting something the size of a car lol.

I too have had an Accra-glass panic a time or two.... :) Glad it worked out. Enjoy and best of luck with your continued efforts. :) CL

Back