Winchester 73

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
One of my all time favorite movies; eclipsed only by the “Quigley “ for a rifle in a leading role.
Found a box under the tree, I was last in first out this morning. It wasn’t there last night.

28dee990df9a569c38dc1043d45fb1b0.jpg

Ok I just got told to put it down, more to follow.
45lc

salmonchaser":2y7xbayz said:
One of my all time favorite movies; eclipsed only by the “Quigley “ for a rifle in a leading role.
Found a box under the tree, I was last in first out this morning. It wasn’t there last night.
28dee990df9a569c38dc1043d45fb1b0.jpg

Ok I just got told to put it down, more to follow.
45lc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lucky you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh man, that is a beautiful rifle.
It's going to be a hoot to shoot.
Congratulations!

JD338

A great movie.... and the definition of an ultimate cool rifle! You must have been really good. CL

Waiting for components, actually thinking about using black powder.

salmonchaser":2ql0ms3a said:
Waiting for components, actually thinking about using black powder.

Now, that would be way cool! Messy on clean up, but cool and worth it.

I was a little disappointed to learn it is Ill advised to run the high pressure Ruger Blackhawk loads in the 73. I have a 100 or so of those on hand. Was able to find some 250 grain bullets, I have primers, just need some Blue dot or similar, or trail boss or Pyrodex.

I’ve been thinking about loading some BP for my .45 Colt Rossi. It’s mostly stainless but still plenty of innards that are not. I don’t know much about it but what I can glean from the inter webs seems to indicate Pyrodex P is better, RS will work, but real black powder is less corrosive. Should be compressed 1/16 - 1/8”. Also black powder bullet lube is a must. I’d certainly take any pointers I could get.

My local shopkeep isn’t much of a gun guy and somehow ended up with a case of Pyrodex RS during the last component crisis. Powder is powder to was his way of thinking.

Is that a new rifle Winchester is offering? My dad had an original 73 in 32-20 and Colt Pistol in the same. Fun combination.

Back