375 H&H

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I haven’t done much shooting with this Model 70 375 H&H.
I swapped out a 4x Leupold for a 2-7 this afternoon. I hope to use it for elk next year.
I put together a 260 grain Partition load that I think might do the trick but will spend some time playing with it a bit to see what I can come up with.
104a70b6d498a1c06a966ca80e19b292.jpg

1e612fe86c90106a8e06b2c5f7758905.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that was your target with the rifle, it certainly will perform. I should imagine it will provide enough "oomph" to take down an elk.

That’ll work. My 375 goes to elk camp every year, been a long time since it was the starter however. I should change that.
Good luck.

That's a nice looking and great shooting rifle. That load should be a hammer on elk or bear or anything you choose to hunt.

JD338

Nice! Great rifle & cartridge!

Which powder did you choose for your 260 gr Partitions? And what velocity did you end up with.

Sorry, I can't read the writing on your target photo - but the bullet holes look pretty good!

Guy

Guy Miner":1a4cv9nf said:
Nice! Great rifle & cartridge!

Which powder did you choose for your 260 gr Partitions? And what velocity did you end up with.

Sorry, I can't read the writing on your target photo - but the bullet holes look pretty good!

Guy
Starting load of Reloader 15. Book says about 2650 fps. I will do some work with it and see what happens if I speed that up some. Just checked my bullet stash and I also have some 300 grain Partitions and Accubonds to try, along with some 270 and 300 grain Hornady. But realistically with the maximum 200 yard shot expected the 260 grain Partition load as is may be all I need.

My friend shoots the 260 gr PT in his 375 Ruger and it is more than enough for anything in North America for sure. Since you are at 2650 fps at a starting load you have quite a bit of room to go up and maybe tweak it for accuracy.

The charge of 69 grains of RL-15 and the 260 grain AccuBond has worked superbly for me. It's right at 2650 fps from the 24" Ruger Number One. I've taken three black bear with it, from fifteen feet (tracking and killing a bear wounded by another hunter) out to 306 yards. :) That longish range shot was ten years ago and I'm still pleased with it.

That RL-15 load is also mentioned by John Barsness as an accurate load. I saw great results on targets and game with it. Recoil is quite tolerable as well.

I think you're on the right track for sure! (y)

Guy

Great looking rifle and load combo Guy. I bet that would be an elk killer for sure!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Very cool! I carried my 375 Improved once for elk. Haven't gotten the chance on one as of yet though. I had a 6x42 Leupold on it for awhile, and man, out to 400 it was pretty danged easy to hammer the steel. I use RL16 and 250 TTSX's at 2900 in mine. It is a very pleasant shooting rifle.

Back