Shooter error.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
So I killed a doe at end of season with my old M98 30-06, deer was 100 and change by my guestimate. Made a poor hit on her, catching just the rear tip of the lung on entry and she must of not been as broadside as I thought as the bullet angled to the rear from there exiting the stomach at the flank.

I thought, huh, wonder if that gun is off a couple inches? Propped off my knees sitting on a hot seat on the ground. Thought I had it where I wanted tight behind the shoulder when it went off. Couldn't be me could it? I mean I'm a good shot in my mind, heck Matthew Quiqley could take lessons, right? :? :lol:

Had a job today right near the rifle range so I packed it in the truck. Cold day, rifle was cold, ammo was cold, I was cold when I set up. 1 shot at 100. 3/4" inch left of center in the bullseye, maybe 1/2" high of center.

Appears there's just no excuses for poorly executed shooting. I guess Quigley's legacy is still safe after all. :lol:

I dont use the phrase "operator error" in many of my posts as a jest. When I am involved, I am the biggest variable in the equation. All that said, you made a killing shot,followed up, and got your deer. CL

Stuff happens in the field.. Probably why some of us are so demanding of our guns and ammo. Good news 3006 did enough damage to still recover her.

Great hunt! She’ll eat well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":38uyb7yz said:
Stuff happens in the field.. Probably why some of us are so demanding of our guns and ammo. Good news 3006 did enough damage to still recover her.

Great hunt! She’ll eat well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. She ran off immediately and completely separate from the other deer so I knew she was hit, yet she ran without slowing down and out of sight. Initially I was kind of disgusted with bullet performance, but when I caught up to her I changed my tune on that considering the hit. She made it 100 yds, when I gutted her I don't recall even seeing a chunk of liver, it was pulverized. Bullet went between the ribs on entry, and exited stomach, so no bone hit anywhere. In retrospect it done everything you could ask for with a heavier than needed bullet on whitetail. That was the Speer 165 BTSP, a much softer bullet than the hot cor's.

Did the job on a bad hit. I could be wrong but I'm thinking I wouldn't of got the same result with a 243, etc, and a heavy for game bullet.

It can always be us. We are the weak link in the chain. Most rifles shoot well. Most scopes & sights are good to go. Most ammo shoots well.

Of course there are exceptions to all of that, but by and large a rifle shoots well.

We, with our quivering muscles, our aging eyes, perhaps our rusty shooting techniques. We are the weak link in the chain. Whenever I've missed game, small or large, it's absolutely been my fault.

That's from a 12 time USMC Expert
A SWAT sniper/Sniper Instructor
NRA long-range High Master
Lifelong hunter.

I shoot pretty doggone well, BUT, I concede that I'm the weak link in the chain. My scopes are on. My rifles are sound, my ammo is good. There's this fellow pulling the trigger who messes things up. It doesn't take much to muff a shot.

Hang in there. Some don't admit it, but I'm pretty certain anyone who shoots much, makes a bad shot time to time. That's how matches are lost. Believe me, I know that one. :)

Regards, Guy

Yep Guy, I'm the weak link most times. Spent some time sneak hunting this yr but the majority was spent in morning and evening sits seated on the ground on a hot seat at varying places. By the end of season it felt like my tailbone was up somewhere around my 6th vertebrae. Ha.

Getting turned and set up with stiff joints propped off my knees is probably not the best solution for accuracy but it's how I primarily hunt. Being a long time meat hunter I almost can't make myself hold on the shoulder of a deer. I need to change that on shots that are not close and lacking a solid rest. A person starts out holding behind the shoulder and the vital zone is cut in half right off the bat.

Back