Nosler M48 Footprint?

Whitesheep

Beginner
Jan 6, 2015
What other brands of rifles, if any, share the same action footprint as a Nosler Liberty M48? I know the scope mounts are Remington 700. Is this true for the entire action? If this is answered already on this forum please direct me to that thread as a search didn't uncover this information.

Thank you

Howa 1500... the M48 is a near direct copy.

Though likely built with better processes and components.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Thank you Ridgrunner665. I am considering a chassis stock and find nothing that specifically references Nosler. This will help.

Yeah, the Howa 1500 action is very similar. Although the Nosler folks haven't said- I think it's a BAT action, derived from the M1500, which is derived from a Sako (L61).

I did try a Weatherby Vanguard in my M48 stock and it seemed to fit without going through the full bedding process. It's likely you could make it fit a chassis for the M1500.

Thank you for the added color HodgemanAK. Most of the web sites I have visited state the Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vangard use the same stock. I understand that the Vangard is essentially a Howa 1500.

The basic Liberty stock isn't bad with a nice cheek piece and no drop at the heal like a full monti-carlo. It would, however, be nice to be able to cant the buttpiece for a better center line fit when trying to spot your own shots. Maybe I can make that happen myself with some modifications.

They sure do shoot... my 13 year old son plugged a spike at 627 yards with mine last week, right through the heart, DRT.

Not up on the M48 but I can say the Howa 1500 and the WBY Vanguard do share the same footprint. My son has a Howa barreled action in one if my S2 take off and fits like a glove.

After Hodgeman mentioned BAT I had to go look at the website... I hadn't made that connection, but it looks like he could very well be right.... there are distinct similarities.

Ridgerunner665":1ks3bbui said:
After Hodgeman mentioned BAT I had to go look at the website... I hadn't made that connection, but it looks like he could very well be right.... there are distinct similarities.

BAT also is in Oregon and does a lot of machine work in pressure barrels to the gun industry...so I'm sure they already had a contractual relationship.

On other note- while the Liberty stock is a Bell and Carlson product. I'm pretty convinced the Custom Sporter stock is a MPI. It feels quite a lot better to me and may be an easy fix to your centerline issue without resorting to an adjustable chassis. A buddy of mine has the Liberty in 33NOS and the stock feels quite a bit thicker than the one on my Custom Sporter.

It's also significantly lighter.

Yeah, the Custom Shorter stock is light as a feather.... and as tough as woodpecker lips.

Mine has taken a few tumbles, to include rolling the 4 wheeler with it slung across my back.

I can't compare it to any other Nosler stocks, but the only stock that feels better to me is the classic Winchester Featherweight stock.

Hi HodgemanAK - What do you mean by the "Custom Sporter?" MPI doesn't show a stock by that name on their website and I don't recall this is a Nosler style. What am I not understanding?

Thanks

Whitesheep":hrxabaoi said:
Hi HodgemanAK - What do you mean by the "Custom Sporter?" MPI doesn't show a stock by that name on their website and I don't recall this is a Nosler style. What am I not understanding?

Thanks

The rifle model when I bought it was called the Custom Sporter... I believe today it's just listed as the Custom. The stock is available from Nosler, and I suspect MPI as well. On MPI's website, it looks like their Mountain style with an added comb height cheekpiece- not the higher rollover or Weatherby style.

On further research it appears the M48 is not a Howa 1500 clone. A poster on Sniper's Hide finally got through on the phone to Nosler recently. The Nosler rep indicated the M48 is similar to a Howa, but not the same. Reference this post number on Sniper's Hide #post-9326170

I am back to building my own stock I guess or switching platforms.

Here is the definitive answer from Nosler that will hopefully help future searches for this information.

Our M48 action is a proprietary footprint design and is not compatible with other action footprints on the market. Any aftermarket stock will need to be designed specifically for our M48 action. Unfortunately at this time, I am not aware of any chassis style stocks available for our action.

Thanks,

Daniel Michels
Rifle Sales Coordinator

800.285.3701. ext:1082

danielm@nosler.com

Back