Ruger #1 question

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Ok I know there are a bunch of no. 1 owners here, I just came across a new 243 light sporter with the 22" barrel and a 3 figure price tag, and with all the recent posts its caught my eye. They also have a 250 savage and 450 marlin, but they are at MSRP +/-
I've just started messing with this xbolt in 243, and thinking about just switching directions. Be worth it you think?

I don't think you can go wrong with a Ruger No. 1.

JD338

If you don’t want it send me a pic. At three figures it’s pretty attractive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering most #1 rifles in plain common calibers are running at $1K and up, three figures doesn't sound all that bad. You probably wouldn't have any trouble getting your money back and probably might even turn a bit of a profit. I wouldn't sell my #1A in .243 for less tan $1,1K but it has some choice lumber.
Paul B.

Whatever you do.... DONT show me the D@#g 250- Savage. I cant afford another mortgage. :( :evil: :lol: CL

Worth it? You're asking a bunch of Ruger Number One fans if it's worth it? :grin:

Kidding aside - they look great - have you handled one? How'd it feel? Have you shot one?

They're a bit different, but I do like them, a lot. Quick reloading can be learned as well.

If you like it, that seems like a great bargain. My 7mm Rem Mag that I bought a bit over a year ago was "only" $900. I couldn't pass that, given that so many are at $1200+

Guy

Guy Miner":93fn155f said:
Worth it? You're asking a bunch of Ruger Number One fans if it's worth it? :grin:

Kidding aside - they look great - have you handled one? How'd it feel? Have you shot one?

Guy

It was more of a sanity check not knowing if there was a fatal flaw with a particular run of them. I got the answers I was hopping for :).
I've only handled them in the store they fit me fine, the open sights are right there. But no I've never shot one. It is one of those rifles I've always been interest in but out of my price range, or now finding the cartridge you want.

Never been opposed to a single shot, the first deer I killed was with a Savage 24, and the first rifle I ever bought was a H&R Pardner single shot with 30-30 and 20 Ga barrels. They are both buried in the back of the safe.

Well... here it be, my first Ruger 1-A. I Noticed the date on the box is July 2014, and not a scratch or ding on it yet. Not sure if I'm going to scope it or not, i do have a 2-8 on my 77/357 that may make more sense to run with open sights then a 243

Attachments

• 16108173376793007605088043546848.jpg
    16108173376793007605088043546848.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 632
Very nice. :) Ya, I'd scope it, the 243 is easily a 300 yard deer rifle.

And... I've found that I can remove and replace the scopes on my Number One rifles with little change in zero... If I'm careful about it. The mounts/rings are really good about that.

Guy

Thanks guys! Got it to the range yesterday afternoon and put a couple rounds through it, I do like it. I did decide to scope it lastnight, I mounted up the vx2 2-7x33 I had on the 357, i set a 3-15x50 on it to see but was just too big. Pretty excited but now have to wait till I get back from Canada to take it back out.

I have 3 No 1’s. All of them wear a 1-4 Leupold. It just seems to look right. A 1.5-5 would be the same look and easily capable of 300 yard shots on game.

Back