Scoped the Glenfield

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
This morning I popped the old 3x Leupold atop my 30-30 Glenfield and sighted it in at 100 yards with 170 grain Remington ammo. So fun! What a great little rifle. And now I get to do some handloading for it, 'cause I'm just about out of 30-30 ammo, except for a box I keep on standby in case I need a good rifle in a hurry.

QEkYssBl.jpg

Ka7TcoWl.jpg

oh3C7J2l.jpg

us6NYRPl.jpg

:)

The group is plenty good for whatever you might hunt at reasonable ranges. Lever guns are fun, without a doubt.

Looks like someone mounted a flashlight backward on your rifle :grin:
Nice close range deer rifle.

I sold my old Glenfield long ago. Funny how I get sentimental over embossed checkering and a stained piece of beech. That is the definition of a perfect "walking around rifle"! Thats why so many of 'em set by the back door. Dont knock that funny looking scope either. It looks good, looking through it! CL

RL338":1j7dij53 said:
Looks like someone mounted a flashlight backward on your rifle :grin:
Nice close range deer rifle.

LOL! Yup.

I have a few of those "flashlight" style scopes. :)

SJB358":1hfh9jy3 said:
Dang, that’s a pleasant looking rifle Guy. I kinda dig that!
I

Thanks. "Pleasant" is a nice description. Easy to carry. Easy to shoot. Just a nice little rifle.

I'll get going on the 30-30 handloading project soon - went through most of my factory ammo for it yesterday. Have plenty of 170 gr Sierra and Remington bullets onhand for it. I enjoy loading the 30-30 cartridge.

Guy

Guy Miner":1a5w2llj said:
SJB358":1a5w2llj said:
Dang, that’s a pleasant looking rifle Guy. I kinda dig that!
I

Thanks. "Pleasant" is a nice description. Easy to carry. Easy to shoot. Just a nice little rifle.

I'll get going on the 30-30 handloading project soon - went through most of my factory ammo for it yesterday. Have plenty of 170 gr Sierra and Remington bullets onhand for it. I enjoy loading the 30-30 cartridge.

Guy

Same here. I need to load some more up for my little Model 94. I love how non picky they’re to make good accuracy. I don’t even attach a chrono to them anymore.

I think the "mag light" looks good on that rifle Guy. Fits it well I think. I don't load for 30-30 currently but intend to start at some point. Got my Mom's 94 here, as well as a Savage 170 carbine pump I picked up. 30-30's sure are pleasant rifles to shoot.

Here is my baby 30-30. Started life as an XLR and I chopped the barrel from 24 to 21" just to be different. LOL

Shoots good to.

T6tbgqCl.jpg

qVlZlxRl.jpg

rE81hU7l.jpg

Nice looking lever guns guys. My wife’s favorite hunting rifle is a Marlin Glenfield 30-30. It has a Marlin labeled 4x scope on it.

I found it in a lgs quite a few years back and took it home , for under $200. I couldn’t pass it up as it was in very good shape and scoped as well.

It really likes the Sierra 170 gn bullets . Great shooting rifle and with ammo it likes it is more accurate than one would expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guy, that is one peach of a woods rifle. See many levers in the Maine woods and that would fit right in.

diverdown":3o9y84j4 said:
Guy, that is one peach of a woods rifle. See many levers in the Maine woods and that would fit right in.

Thanks! I really like it - and it's somewhat useful where I live. The country here has fast stretches of forest, but that forest is usually devoid of mule deer & elk. They tend to live on the fringes, forest for cover and more open ground for feeding. So... and I've found myself in this spot... Everything is dandy as I'm still hunting along with my lever action, iron-sight rifle in hand. Come around the corner and there's the elk, out in the middle of the clearcut 350 yards away.... Sigh...

But the little scope helps, I've had a 2.5x on this rifle in the past. I think I would have nailed the bobcat I had a chance at, if I'd had a scope. Maybe.

Guy

You know this I’m sure Guy but my Dad has always said “you can only shoot as good as you can see.”

Iron sights are nifty but if I’m trying to hit something smaller than a dinner plate past about 150 yards, a scope makes all the different.

I love my .25-35 and Blackpowder rifles but they’re close range only propositions because of the iron sights. I know there are others capable of shooting much farther than that, but I just am not.

Mainly because of eye relief issues but also because of having a little extra magnification I have switched back to a 3.5-10x variable on Old Reliable for hunting and shooting, I can just see better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy, way back when the Weaver K4 was the darling of many writers and shops selling them, I couldn't afford one, but the K3 was a little cheaper. Jack O'Connor even recommended it, so I got one. I did a lot of woods still hunting, often getting to those places horseback. The power was just right for close woods shots, adequate for reasonable distances, and the small tube up front made for easy insertion/removal from saddle scabbards and gun cases. Love the look on yours and I'll bet you will like using it too! EE2

Thanks all. I'm already feeling good about the scope/rifle combo.

Just need to get busy and load some ammo for it.

Guy

Back