Rem 700 action

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
This poor rifle ended its career as a 30-06 this past deer season. A young hunter pulled the trigger and the barrel failed. Must have been some foreign material that made its way into the barrel. The dad took it to the LGS and traded it in on something new. The smith stripped it down to the action and it sat there for months. Price kept going down down down until it had to come home with me. [emoji16]

Now a 25-06 is in the works. Ordered a McGowan Remage barrel to try it out. Can't decide whether to restore it to its wood stocked BDL glory or to go the fiberglass route.20210325_212939.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Good luck!
Things are much more restrictive here.
Only gunsmiths are allowed to do many things on firearms...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Sounds like you are going to have a nice new rifle.
Take a look at the HS Precision Hunter stock.
Very solid with the aluminum bedding block, durable and nice looking too.
Would make for a good platform.

JD338

Wonderful to see old actions getting new life. Good luck with your (re)build.

Error... Not a 35 Whelen... Does not compute...

Seriously; good for you. I have absolutely nothing to offer for synthetic or wood; like 'em both for their own reasons. Send more picks as you go! (y)

Lots of ideas...

I have two HS Precision hunters and like them. Decided to try a Bell and Carlson Alaskan 2 for some variety. Should have it in hand next week.

Picked up a new recoil lug, PTG taper 0.200 thick. Polished it and blued it. Almost matches the factory blue.

Debated on ADL vs BDL. Priced out aftermarket bottom metal. Decided to blast the old bottom metal and Cerakote it for now.

Waiting on a Triggertech trigger and the McGowan Rage barrel. Then the fun will begin[emoji16]20210417_151012.jpg20210417_151050.jpg20210417_163047.jpg20210417_210646.jpg

Man, that looks like a great project. I can’t wait to see it finished up.

JD338":3dfst42u said:
Sounds like you are going to have a nice new rifle.
Take a look at the HS Precision Hunter stock.
Very solid with the aluminum bedding block, durable and nice looking too.
Would make for a good platform.

JD338
Plus one on the HS Precision stock. I put one on my Ruger Hawkeye 338 Win and it was the only stock that would tame the recoil and keep it from twisting in the other stocks I tried it in which were a factory synthetic and a pillar bedded synthetic after market stock.
It drove me crazy for a while and I was ready to give up on it till I put it in one and it went from spray and pray to shooting 1/2" groups at 100yds.

This is going to end up as a 25-06? Cool. :)

I've read a lot of negative comments about the HS Precision stocks - but the one on my 308 Win/Rem 700 has been doing just fine for 25+ years now. It's seen some relatively hard use too, from my SWAT days. I did have to add a little bedding to keep the action from shifting around in the stock, but just a little, and it's stayed nice & tight with no problems ever since.

Also put an HS Precision stock on another Rem 700. That one just bolted right on, no problem. The rifle had been in an inexpensive Ramline stock - ugh - would always throw the cold bore shot high. Putting it in the HS Precision stock cured that instantly. :)

Guy

I do like my HS stocks. Have them on my super 7s. A 7 STW and a 7-300 Win. Thought I would try something different with this rifle.

And, yes, this new one will be a 25-06[emoji846]20190216_145129.jpg

Bell and Carlson Alaskan II arrived today. Action and bottom metal drop in, but may bed it in the future.

Still 6 to 8 weeks out on the barrel.20210421_140609.jpg

It feels good. Don't know what to think about the pressure points in the barrel channel. To leave, or to remove? Suppose I will remove and skim bed the whole thing because I like to do that kind of stuff.

Trigger came today. Going to try a TriggerTech20210422_173424.jpg

You will like the TriggerTech. I’ve had Shilen, Timney and Jewell and they are all good triggers. However, none of them are as crisp when it breaks as the TT.

It looks like your project is coming along nicely!

Love me some TriggerTech as well.

Just waiting on the barrel. Should be coming soon. All of the other parts are in hand

Got the barrel this morning [emoji16] and spun it on this afternoon. Assembled it to check fit and had to do a little sanding here and there to remove some points of contact. Will break her in this weekend and decide if I want to bed the action or not.

Final parts list

Rem 700 Action
McGowan Remage barrel, 26 inch, 25-06 Rem, Rem magnum contour.
PTG tapered lug 0.200 thick
Bell and Carlson stock
Trigger Tech Primary trigger
Talley Lightweight low rings
Leupold VX3HD 2.5-8x36

Had to shave a little off the rear ring base to get clearance for the new fat power adjustment ring on the scope.
ca74ac33d9ae174024f96b44d795909c.jpg

Back