Winchester 70 Stainless Classic .375

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
Well been looking for one of these for awhile. Finally snagged one couldn’t be too picky. It is in pretty good shape except for some decent size smooth rub marks on the barrel. Has anyone tried bead blasting their stainless barrel back to original finish?? Looks like you can buy and blaster and the media pretty inexpensively. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Can't help you with the bead blasting question but post some pictures of your rifle.

JD338

I have not used it on stainless steel but have used glass beading to dull the bluing finish and on pieces that were to be electroless nickel plated which gave a nice non reflective finish. To get it right you will have to bead blast the whole gun.

Looks quite smart. I confess that I have a love affair with the Model 70.

Pretty hard not to love a model 70. Especially in 375 H&H

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A collection of rifles that would bring pride to anyone. Congratulations.

I finally just grabbed up a model 70 yesterday in 416 Remington. Been looking for one for awhile. Should be here in a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cleveland48":32zri4hs said:
I finally just grabbed up a model 70 yesterday in 416 Remington. Been looking for one for awhile. Should be here in a week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice. Now that’s a cool score!

I have bead blasted a few stainless barrels. It can be a challenge to match the original finish so blast the action at the same time.

I have used virgin 80 to 100 grit? glass beads at about 100 psi. Then clean with solvent and buff with fine steel wool and oil.

A blasting cabinet is very helpful or the garage will get messy[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Brownells sells glass bead specifically for this.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... d1209.aspx

Use the 270+, and at low pressure (30-40).

DO NOT use the same media for stainless and for regular steel barrels.

I looked into doing this, but the local gunsmiths charge $30-50 to blast the barreled action, and it's not worth my time to clean out the blast cabinet and buy materials at that price. So, check with your locals first.

Back