7MM Remington mag

seokladuckin

Beginner
Mar 21, 2021
Didn't want to hijack the other 7mag thread,
I have 2 Remington 700 BDL

One is a 1980 bone stock nothing ever done to it . 1st pic ~ .366 group 3 shot , top bullet was 1 shot from my trusty Tikka 708

The other is one when the upgraded the plant ~2005, 700 SPS , it has Tubb speedlock in it and Jewell trigger but stock cheap plastic...2nd pic ~.226 group 3 shots

100 yard targets , Reloader 22
Nosler 140 grain Ballistic tips.

Absolutely the 1st load I tried in them , no ladder test or other b.s.

I know folks that have spent thousands on rifles that will not shoot this well ,

I miss the great days when Remington ruled the rifle world.

I've thought about taking the SPS and going long range with it , bigger scope and vld bullets, but I so happy with them haven't done it yet.

The 80 model has a Burris 4 to 14 on it.

The SPS has Leupold 4.5 to 14
654f5d8264373f13bbf46a051fcb4350.jpg
ec7b4e2484798db80aa731aacd71a094.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Without a doubt, the 7 Mag can be a delight to shoot, and I've shot many of the Remington models (both older models and newer models). Don't recall any that couldn't be made to deliver excellent accuracy. My Winchester Model 70 is boringly consistent, always delivering the goods when called upon to do so. You've certainly got a couple of fine shooting instruments on your hands.

Have seen 2 on 30-06 that wouldn't shoot 3 inch group at 100 ,

Nice work. RL22 does extremely well in the 7mm Rem Mag with 140-160 gr bullets.

JD338

I am a firm believer in that if it works "don't touch it". You have some great loads there, don't waste money on trying to develop better. Great job

Elkman":1cagygok said:
I am a firm believer in that if it works "don't touch it". You have some great loads there, don't waste money on trying to develop better. Great job
Myself as well ,

I'm currently playing around with a 6.5 x 284 Norma , I bought it well worth the money, #3 Douglas barrell, greyboe stock, 4 by 20 Steiner, so far it's close to shooting with the 7mags , it will probably be my long range rifle , I have 2 ladder test loaded just have been chasing Turkeys

Some great groups! I concur, I wouldn't touch a thing. Go forth and be merry and hit what you're aiming at. Ha.

I helped a buddy with a 7MM RM and pretty much every thing we tried was a pig in a poke. And in a Tikka of all things.

Switched to RL22 and that thing came alive both in speed and accuracy. It was like magic pixie dust for that gun. I'm still baffled how a gun that can shoot that well could be so mediocre to ho-hum with everything else.

seokladuckin":2tg4l2cw said:

Dang! I've never seen a Model 700 that wouldn't shoot at least reasonably well.

My oldest was a gift in 1974, and still shoots well. I've several others made after that. You must have seen some real stinkers. Bummer. :(

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":4d4xryw7 said:
seokladuckin":4d4xryw7 said:

Dang! I've never seen a Model 700 that wouldn't shoot at least reasonably well.

My oldest was a gift in 1974, and still shoots well. I've several others made after that. You must have seen some real stinkers. Bummer. :(

Regards, Guy
Both of them had chamber throats that even 180 bullets would not reach .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

ShadeTree":y71inqdn said:
Some great groups! I concur, I wouldn't touch a thing. Go forth and be merry and hit what you're aiming at. Ha.

I helped a buddy with a 7MM RM and pretty much every thing we tried was a pig in a poke. And in a Tikka of all things.

Switched to RL22 and that thing came alive both in speed and accuracy. It was like magic pixie dust for that gun. I'm still baffled how a gun that can shoot that well could be so mediocre to ho-hum with everything else.
I had read a piece from a gun wrighter years ago, it could have been Lane Simpson, this is what I remember..

"Reloader 22 can make a fair shooting 7mag GOOD and can make a good shooting 7mag GREAT".

never forgot that quote

x3 on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theme...you got some winning combinations there!

Really enjoyed my 7mm RM (Rem 700 LSS) when I had it! It's first 3 shot group at 100 yards (shots 4,5, and 6 after sighting in with 1,2, and 3), brand new out of the box went less than 1/2" with factory ammo. Harvested quite a few big game animals with that Federal Premium 165 gr SGK ammo.
Sold it to get the same rifle in left hand later on, only ended up getting it in 270 Win as the 7mm wasn't to be found available at the time. The 270 is a fine cartridge, but I just prefer the 7mm.

As for the 30-06's that don't shoot worth a darn...if you still have them, or in the event they belong to other people; with the long throats, I would be tempted to have the barrels removed, cut a thread off and rechamber with shorter throats...this may improve their performance. Cheaper than a rebarrel job.

Blkram":3q7ddroz said:
x3 on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theme...you got some winning combinations there!

Really enjoyed my 7mm RM (Rem 700 LSS) when I had it! It's first 3 shot group at 100 yards (shots 4,5, and 6 after sighting in with 1,2, and 3), brand new out of the box went less than 1/2" with factory ammo. Harvested quite a few big game animals with that Federal Premium 165 gr SGK ammo.
Sold it to get the same rifle in left hand later on, only ended up getting it in 270 Win as the 7mm wasn't to be found available at the time. The 270 is a fine cartridge, but I just prefer the 7mm.

As for the 30-06's that don't shoot worth a darn...if you still have them, or in the event they belong to other people; with the long throats, I would be tempted to have the barrels removed, cut a thread off and rechamber with shorter throats...this may improve their performance. Cheaper than a rebarrel job.
You a lefty ??

I just bought a stainless 700 bdl lefty with Grey laminate stock and silver finished Leupold with silver Leopold rings and bases for a friend for 600 bucks in 300 win mag .

Pretty rifle

Back