Future Rifle Purchase.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
For probably 2 yrs now it seems I can't get out of my head I'd like to have a nice keeper rifle in 7mm-08.

Opinion only but as time goes on I'm even more convinced it's a gem of a cartridge for whitetail with some flexibility on both sides of that. Doesn't rely nearly as much on speed to be highly effective as some of the smaller calibers, and doesn't recoil nearly as much as some of the larger calibers, or the same caliber in larger cartridges.

I picked up a Rem 788 in 7-08 in a carbine length last yr. Shooter. But that rifle is darn near mint condition and I decided for what I payed for it, it can sit in the gun cabinet and continue gaining value. Hate to booger it up hunting.

So that said I'm kinda stuck on a Win M70 as a nice keeper rifle. 2 choices would be FWT or for a little more money a Super Grade.

Same barrel length of 22" on both in 7-08 unless picking the compact version of FWT with a 20" barrel. Weight would be a little more on the SG.

Opinions on both? Pro's/Con's?

seokladuckin":2bi6aitb said:
Get a stainless Tikka

You won't be disappointed

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Nothing against a Tikka, I know they're accurate. Just kind of have my head or heart set on a M70 unless someone gives me a good reason not to buy one of the newer one's.

I've no field experience with a 7-08, but been loading for a pair of them for the last several yrs for buddies. They've both been racking up the deer with them with a good many being 2-300 yds with 139 SST's leaving at a mild 2800 or somewhat under if I remember correctly. I've been thoroughly impressed at the reports back I've been getting of the results.

If you go with a Mod 70 Fwt I'd optd for the 22 in version. Fwt can be finicky getting to group sometimes or least the ones I've had in .270 Win,30-06 and current 6.5x55. Liked them all but kept the 6.5x55. Wanted one in 7mm08 but didn't find one when I had the hankering for it. I like your idea on the Fwt but choice is yours, Dan.

P.S. have used the Nosler 140gr BT, AB and Speer 130BTSP in my Bergara 7mm08. It's a good caliber. You won't be disappointed.

Well I don't have a 7-08 but I do have two M70 Featherweights though. One is in .257 Roberts and the other a 7x57. I use 7-08 data for my loads. The only advantage with the 7x57 is I can use 175 gr. bullets if I want without it's getting into the powder area. My current load with the 150 gr. Nosler runs neck and neck with the 7-08. Probably have guessed my preference is for the Featherweight style. (y)
Paul B.

Are the FWT's known to be finicky? Always liked the looks of them, but I like the looks of the standard sized rifles also. Not particularly fond of finicky rifle's. Function and accuracy are 2 things high on the list when it comes to a cartridge like the 7mm-08.

FOTIS":2r7824sy said:
Tikka would be my first choice
Yep one of the best rifles for the dollar out there , in our little group 5 shoot 7mm08 , 4 are Tikka . 1 Remington mountain rifle ,

+1 on Tikka. Three years ago I didn't have any, now I have 4. I have a 7mm-08 SL that shoots well.

Okay you guys have my interest at least peaked on a Tikka. Ehhh. Just is almost like pounding my thumb with a hammer to spend good money on a synthetic stocked rifle, like I should know ahead of time I'm not going to like it. But I could be wrong. I'm open to be persuaded. I already know they're known to be accurate.

The wood stocked Tikka's are nothing to write home to Momma about from what I seen. So stock aside, what else might I not like about a Tikka. What all is plastic on them? Trigger guard and bottom plate? I know the early one's had a polymer bolt shroud, but I think they've changed that.

ShadeTree":23cnzafh said:
Okay you guys have my interest at least peaked on a Tikka. Ehhh. Just is almost like pounding my thumb with a hammer to spend good money on a synthetic stocked rifle, like I should know ahead of time I'm not going to like it. But I could be wrong. I'm open to be persuaded. I already know they're known to be accurate.

The wood stocked Tikka's are nothing to write home to Momma about from what I seen. So stock aside, what else might I not like about a Tikka. What all is plastic on them? Trigger guard and bottom plate? I know the early one's had a polymer bolt shroud, but I think they've changed that.
The mag sux ,

Other than that , I'll pick it up 90% of the time , not counting an AR

If you're interested, my friend is selling his Sako 75, stainless/gray laminated, in 7mm-08.

It currently wears a Swarovski Z3 4-12 BT, but would sell without the scope if preferred.
He has an extra clip plus a lot of the factory ammo it likes best.

It's a great rifle, but his son (original user) doesn't hunt and it just sits in the safe collecting dust.

ShadeTree":ef6fb01q said:
Are the FWT's known to be finicky? Always liked the looks of them, but I like the looks of the standard sized rifles also. Not particularly fond of finicky rifle's. Function and accuracy are 2 things high on the list when it comes to a cartridge like the 7mm-08.
Shade by saying they are finicky I'm referring to having to glass bed the recoil lug area and have done the whole barrel channel. Just started small area and kept going till they started grouping. My sons FWT 7x57 just has recoil lug and 1.5 ins of barrel bedded but it groups ok. Just been my take on them. Like the guns thought. Dan.

Dr. Vette":17g68o0a said:
If you're interested, my friend is selling his Sako 75, stainless/gray laminated, in 7mm-08.

It currently wears a Swarovski Z3 4-12 BT, but would sell without the scope if preferred.

It's a great rifle, but his son (original user) doesn't hunt and it just sits in the safe collecting dust.

Another winner right there.

FOTIS":303quok9 said:
Dr. Vette":303quok9 said:

Another winner right there.

I set it up, so you know it's done right. (y)

Some good suggestions. My quest for a 7mm-08 has taken kind of an odd turn with a rifle that I wouldn't of thought would peak my interest, but this one does. If I get it I'll let you know.

But I should perhaps explore all options first. Dr Vette, that Sako sounds like a sweet setup. Do you mind sending me a PM and letting me know what the man wants for the rifle? Without scope. I doubt I'd want to swing that kind of bills for that rifle with that scope.

Back