Husky 1600

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
Well i picked up a husqvarna 1600 30/06 with the 20.5” barrel. Thing appears to be mint with some pretty nice wood. I only paid $525 and has bushnell scope on it not sure if quality of the scope.

I had a chance to buy one or two about 10 years ago and have always wanted one after passing on them and hadn’t seen another for years until yesterday.

Seems to be very lightweight rifle and looks like the popular opinion is it kicks pretty good in the 30-06. It looks like they just took original plastic butt plate off and screwed an old recoil pad to it. Plus is the stock is still curved so they didn’t cut it. Trying to decide if I should put reproduction plastic butt on it and a slip on pad or have it cut and out a real pad on it. Leaning toward the former.

Anyone have any short barrel loads for their 30-06?

I just use the normal loads for a 30-06 regardless of barrel length. I once had a 1903 Springfield with an 18" barrel I used deer hunting in Northern California rain forests. Loud as hell and a bright muzzle flash but it worked just fine. If you're shooting a load that is supposed to give 2700 FPS, then figure 2650 FPS or a bit less. Depends on the rifle itself. I have several rifles in .308 with barrels ranging from 18.5" (Ruger M77RSI) to a 23" custom on a 1912 Mauser action. Best load in the RSI uses W760 for 2550 FPS. The same load in a 22" M70 does 2610 FPS. I haven't run the 23" gun over the chronograph yet but adding 50 FPS seems reasonable.

The point is the powder that gives the highest speed in a long barrel will also give the highest speed possible from the shorter barrel. Accuracy may be something else but that will only come from testing.

Years back I had a Husqvarna Husky based on the 640 FN style action with 20" barrel. Nice looking rifle but loud and did kick a bit more than I cared for. Thinking back, I'm sorry I ever sold it. Currently have a 640 in 30-06 with 24" barrel that I finally put in a stock. Haven't shot it yet.
Paul B.

Maybe I am asking the wrong question. In that light rifle don’t really need a full maxed out power of the 30-06 but have brass and dies. Does anyone have any lower power 30-06 loads using the lighter weight bullets available now. Loading down would be a lot cheaper than rebarrel to a 7x57 or 280.

I'll second what Jim says, and you're not confined to light bullets per say or just to H4895 for that matter. Wouldn't be right to say your possibilities are endless, but you got a lot of options with an 06.

For example just 45 gr's of 3031 with 150 gr bullet will get you 2750 or so with a 22" barrel. 45 gr's with a 150 gr bullet is pretty much a peach puff.

I killed a buck the other yr with an 06 at woods range with a 150 gr speer going about that speed......behind the shoulder shot and it ruined his day pretty quickly.

A load that I liked a lot in my last 30-06. was CCI250, H414/W760, 150 grain Ballistic tip. Depending on brass capacity, max load of 56-59 grain. Nosler list 57 as max in their brass.

Back