Browning BLR

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Oy vey I get sidetracked easy when it comes to rifles. But you gotta buy what's in front of you if you think it's desirable and at a good price.

Older steel receiver BLR, I believe the man told me he bought it new in 85. In the harder to find 257 Roberts chambering. A few light brush scratches on the stock and the bluing is wore on the left side of the barrel band, from I'm assuming carrying it on the right shoulder. Other than that, very nice condition.

What do you suppose it's worth?

This would seem to be one of the more rare chamberings in the BLR, and I have never seen one, even for sale. These were built from 1983 to 1992. My references do not give #'s manufactured.
But not as rare as the 222 Rem ('85-89), 223 Rem ('85-92) or 284 Win '89-92).

It should be of the newer design, where the magazine will have a lip around the bottom and fits pretty flush with the bottom of the magazine.

I see many of these steel receiver BLR's being sold in the $900-$1200 range these days, depending on condition and chambering.
You could try looking at some of the auction sites for pricing in the US.

Let me know if you do not buy it, as I would be interested!

Blkram":1vw02cp9 said:
This would seem to be one of the more rare chamberings in the BLR, and I have never seen one, even for sale. These were built from 1983 to 1992. My references do not give #'s manufactured.
But not as rare as the 222 Rem ('85-89), 223 Rem ('85-92) or 284 Win '89-92).

It should be of the newer design, where the magazine will have a lip around the bottom and fits pretty flush with the bottom of the magazine.

I see many of these steel receiver BLR's being sold in the $900-$1200 range these days, depending on condition and chambering.
You could try looking at some of the auction sites for pricing in the US.

Let me know if you do not buy it, as I would be interested!

Good to know things coming straight from experience. Not a rifle I've ever followed, but like you I hadn't seen one in person in a Roberts.

Don't have the rifle in hand, but already told the man before I put this post up that I'd take it. Just because I knew that in the condition and chambering it was in, the price wasn't hateful and I better get it or I might regret it.

Sounds like based on your experience I done alright. Nice condition and in a Roberts. $850.

Thanks. Bought it from a man I've known for yrs but didn't know he had this rifle until a few weeks ago when I was at his house and he got his gun safes open and was pulling different rifles out. He made the comment, when putting everything away...."these guns are for sale."

I didn't ask him prices on anything at the time, and I figured that Browning would be higher than I'd want to pay. But after a few weeks I figured I should at least call him and ask him and go over and look at it again. Was not a cheap rifle to me, but the price he spit out was lower than I'd expected so I thought I'd better say yes and hope it was a good decision.

I don't buy any rifles or shooting supplies with the household check book. Rather with cash that I pick up here and there from side jobs, sweet corn I sold last yr, a gun I bought and sold, ect. If I don't have the cash, I don't buy it. That way it's never a burden. That bucket takes a little while to fill back up after each purchase.

I'm currently a little short.......he told me to take it home and pay him when I got it, he didn't care. I said nope, I'll get it when I can pay for it.

Gil, just an FYI. These straight stocked BLR's never appealed to me that much, I just never warmed up to the looks of them. So I didn't buy this rifle because it was a bucket list gun I wanted, just bought it because I knew it should be a desirable gun. Maybe that will change if I carry it and shoot it.

If not, what I'm getting at is the rifle might be available down the road to get a rifle I'd rather have on trade, etc.

You did quite well. That is a highly esteemed rifle chambered in a most desirable cartridge. The price doesn't seem all that bad to me, especially if you enjoy the rifle. I've owned several BLRs (all chambered in 358 Win), and each was a joy to handle. Each produced fine accuracy with a little work. The triggers are not all that exciting, but they never detracted all that much from the accuracy the rifle was able to produce.

DrMike":3rfxb17u said:
You did quite well. That is a highly esteemed rifle chambered in a most desirable cartridge. The price doesn't seem all that bad to me, especially if you enjoy the rifle. I've owned several BLRs (all chambered in 358 Win), and each was a joy to handle. Each produced fine accuracy with a little work. The triggers are not all that exciting, but they never detracted all that much from the accuracy the rifle was able to produce.

Thanks, we will see how I like it. Not that it might not of been well worth it regardless, but at that price chambered in the more common cartridges I'd of probably left it sit. Like I said, just to look at them they never appealed to me that much, but perhaps my opinion will change when carrying it.

Now the later pistol grip versions they've introduced have better lines in my opinion.

Everyone has their reference between the pistol grip models and the straight grips.
Personally, I prefer the straight grip over the pistol grip. Both in the look and in the feel when shooting them. But that is just my preference.
You may find that you like it once you try it, but you may find that you prefer the pistol grip. The only right answer is which feels best to you.
Looking forward to your thoughts and comments once you get it home and can shoot it.

Blkram":3iiu6h9t said:
Everyone has their reference between the pistol grip models and the straight grips.
Personally, I prefer the straight grip over the pistol grip. Both in the look and in the feel when shooting them. But that is just my preference.
You may find that you like it once you try it, but you may find that you prefer the pistol grip. The only right answer is which feels best to you.
Looking forward to your thoughts and comments once you get it home and can shoot it.

Yeah kinda anxious to get it. But that's with any rifle. I haven't spilled all the beans on this purchase.....it was actually a 2'fer. He priced 2 rifles I was interested in, and I told him I'd take them.

That's why I'm short on the total. I'd have enough for the BLR but it wouldn't leave me with much operating cash. But I might go pick up at least that one in the next wk or so. Better than putting that cash in the bank. All day every day.

I think you'll like that old BLR. The cartridge is a real peach of course.

My oldest son has an all-steel, Belgium made BLR in 308 Win. It was his grandfathers rifle and has always shot nicely. Straight grip stock, which isn't my preference, but it works fine.

That thing has been in our family, with Dad, me, or my son, for nearly 40 years. Never was a high-use rifle, just a good rifle. Dad zeroed it in the 1980's with a compact scope of some sort... I can't remember what it is. I think I tweaked that zero a little, about 10 years ago when we changed loads... But it's never shifted. :)

When my son was younger I downloaded 150 grain bullets for it. Now he shoots full strength 165's from it.

Be careful of the magazines! If yours is like mine, the currently produced (for the past 25+ years) magazines won't fit it!!!

We have two magazines for the BLR, and treat them carefully. Last I checked they were going for $250 each! Haven't been in production in a long time.

Best of luck with the rifle. I'd bet it's a sweet shooter in 257...

Regards, Guy

Congratulations on the BAR 257 Bob. That is going to be a sweet heart rifle for sure.

JD338

Thanks Guy and JD. I'll probably go get it this week. I can get it whenever I'd like, doesn't matter to him, but sooner is more appealing than later to me. :lol:

He told me he bought it new for his son. Like I said, I believe the yr was 1985, I'll have to confirm that. His son carried it 2 yrs on gang hunts. That was during the magnum itis craze and the little Roberts got replaced after 2 yrs and has been in the cabinet ever since.

I think it behooves me to let the rifle see some sunshine again and stretch its legs firing off some rounds. (y) :grin:

I think you did dang good. That’s a rare duck and a sweetheart deer rifle. Can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Back