Here she is.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
BLR in 257 Roberts.

Bad lighting day for taking pics, stock has some nice mineral streaks in in that wrap around up onto the wrist area that didn't show up. Checked the serial number and it's a 1984 date of manufacture. The man told me he doubts there was 2 boxes of ammo shot thru it.

Bluing is all there except this rub mark on the left side of the barrel band. And of course at the muzzle from it being shot.

It's got one noticeable scuff mark in the gloss finish on the left side of the stock. Not hard to do with these finishes, I might put a couple on myself if I carry it hunting.

Beautiful rifle in a classic chambering.
Mount a VX-3 2.5-8x36mm scope and you just might have the perfect WT deer rig.

JD338

My goodness! What a nice rifle! It's nice to find one of those older, high quality rifles, in such fine condition.

I concur with JD338's thought on the 2.5-8x Leupold - one of the finest all around hunting scopes I believe.

Your fixed on 25 cal bullets for that little rascal? Not that I want to part with any, but I do have some if you can't find any for handloading it.

Regards, Guy

BTW, your find reminds me of the 20 year old, nearly new, Ruger Number One I snatched up a year and a half ago. My goodness, a barely used rifle, 20 years old... It's worked out really well!

I suspect that your BLR will also work out well. It sure looks good.

Regards, Guy

Thanks fella's.

Guy, I'm not ideally set with 25 cal bullets, but yeah I can make it work for now so no worries. Thank you for the offer.

I got lots of 87 gr Speer's I picked up for my older 250 Savage......those would just be relegated to paper punching if I did shoot them out of this rifle. I have probably 3/4 of a box left of 100 gr Speer HC's that will likely be what I'd use for hunting if I got those working with this rifle.

Missed out on the SPS 115 short ogive partitions that would've been nice for a cartridge like a Roberts in a short action. They have 120 partitions of the same short ogive. WAY heavier bullet than needed for whitetail out of a Roberts, but perhaps I should consider it.

I bought a Sig Sauer 2-7 x 32 that's not being used right now. I'll likely put it on this rifle and see how it looks.

Will have to come up with a Roberts die set. I got a 257AI set with a custom I got, but I don't have a standard die.

Great looking rifle.
SPS does have a few boxes of 100gr BT is you go quick, and if you want to try those 115's I probably have an extra bag or 2.

ST,
FWIW, the 115 gr BT out of the 257 Roberts is a fast killer on WT deer.

JD338

So I've been doing a little figuring. Can make lots of things work, just not always ideal. Just based on JBM's bullet length list, it seems the 100 gr Partition would be about the best thing available for a Roberts housed in a short action. Short enough to keep the bullet out of the case body when loaded at short action length, light enough to keep speeds up, and tough enough to handle any sized whitetail you'd encounter at bad angles.

Slimfinn, those short 115 partitions might be the next best thing. If you have some extra's I just might take you up on that offer. I'll see what I can come up with first on my own.

I couldn't find any of these for sale on GB, but I did by chance find one that was just sold on there 5-16-2021. A nice rifle in its own right but IMO the bluing shows more wear and scratches than this one. Ended with 34 bids at $1725.00.

Now granted these are the same people on that site that were paying $65-$150 per lb of powder 2 months ago depending what it was. So not sure I'd count on that as an accurate value, but apparently they're sought after.

ShadeTree":2pgdonxe said:
Slimfinn, those short 115 partitions might be the next best thing. If you have some extra's I just might take you up on that offer. I'll see what I can come up with first on my own.

I was just doing my evening web surf, and they got some back in at SPS (y) but if they are gone before you get there let me know.

Slimfinn":2wessqut said:
ShadeTree":2wessqut said:

I was just doing my evening web surf, and they got some back in at SPS (y) but if they are gone before you get there let me know.

Hey thanks! I would've never checked it. I wouldn't of thought they would have any back in that quick. Figured once an over run of those were gone, they'd be gone for a while.

Ordered 4 boxes. More than I'd need, but that will give me enough to play with and hopefully get them shooting. I can also use them in the 257 Roberts AI that I got. (y)

A favorite cartridge of mine, didn’t know it was available in the BLR, what a great deer gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":3ssbkat9 said:
A favorite cartridge of mine, didn’t know it was available in the BLR, what a great deer gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. They're apparently pretty hard to run across. Which is why for $850 I scarfed it up. Local private buy, my favorite kind. Get to handle the rifle and look it over, and the price is the price without added bull puckey fees and putting my purchase along with serial numbers on public record.

I've bought some rifles out of shops because they were too good of deals to pass up, but you might as well just be saying to them, hey here's $30 extra dollars, can you double check and make sure the Constitution didn't change since yesterday?? Can't be too careful you know. Only right to check with Nana first and make sure it's okay.

Another cool one follows you home! And in .25 again. If you are willing to shoot the competition, I know a local purveyor has several boxes of Hornady 117's on the shelf $30/ 100. PM me if you need. CL

Shade that is a nifty looking rifle that should be a hoot to shoot and carry in the deer woods. Enjoy. Dan.

Holy smokes ST! Great score!

Congrats, that’s a rifle I’m jealous of. You might as well sell that old 250 Savage of yours, you’ll probably never use it :mrgreen:

Back